adamfanfic pt 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
It was strange being back in her apartment after weeks of being on the road with the band, Terri was immediatly assaulted with a sense of loneliness, realising this must have been how Adam felt when he came home, no wonder he had wanted her to meet him at the airport that time and his house had been far bigger than emptier than her place.

She shrugged of the feeling and went to unpack and freshen up and catch up on all the stuff she had been missing whilist she was away, like her work.. and her mother, she couldn't put it of any longer she realised.
When she phoned her mother later that evening, to let her know she was back.
Christine McCann wasted no time, and made arrangments to call on her daughter the following afternoon for what she called a 'nice chat, and catching up on lost time'

It had been a while from Terri had come face to face with her mother, and when she opened her front door to her the following day
she had to admit her mother hadnt changed much, put on a bit of weight, but even though she was in her fifties she was immaculatly made up. Terri was doing her best not to feel intimidated by her presence again, and was glad that she had talked over the phone with Adam an hour before hand, his calm reasonable tone done a lot fortify her.

"Well Theresa, you are looking well I am glad to see" Her mother smiled giving her a dutiful hug.

"Thank you, so do you" Terri replied in the same dutiful strained tone, then stepped aside to let her mother enter.

Christine strolled through the hallway into the living room idly inspecting her surroundings as Terri walked behind her, hoping she looked more together than she felt.

"Would you like some tea or coffee?" she then enquired, thinking how weird that the relationship between her and her mother had become more like polite strangers, no real warmth or feeling. Being with Adam and the others had embraced her into a kind of warm family atmosphere that had been missing in her own.. she had never felt so acutely aware of it until now.

Her mother accepted her offer of coffee as she sat down on the nearby armchair making herself comfortable, Terri happily escaped into her kitchen to make it and give herself a few moments to recoop.

When she returned with the cups of coffee a little while later, she had a fixed smile on her face.

"Thank you" Her mother took the cup from her, "I must say it seems to be a nice place here you have Theresa.. better than I thought it would be"

"Thanks" Terri replied "I am sure you are relieved I am not living in complete squalor, and I am making a very good living on my job" she couldn't help pointing out a little dryily

"Yes I guess so" her mother drawled and took a sip of her coffee, "Though its such a shame, you had that a beautiful big detached house in England when you were with Derrick, I really don't know why you didn't try and claim it in your divorce settlement"

"I didn't want anything from Derrick,and I just wanted the divorce over and done with" Terri replied feeling her stomach twist in knots
that her mother was back on the subject that had caused them to fall out years ago, and hoped they would not be treading over old territory which she had manage to put well and truly behind her.

"Besides what good would the house do when I wanted to come and live back here" she pointed out, "Anyway thats all in the past I am glad to say... I am getting on with my life.. quite happily too" she finished stiffly.

"Yes so I can see" her mother replied. "I couldn't believe it when I see your face in the paper next to Adam Clayton a few months back.. hows that going by the way.. are you two still seeing each other?"

Subtlety was never your strong point was it mother" Terri retorted.

"I am only interested in your well being Theresa" her mother replied defensively, "You made such a mess of your marriage I am concerned when you get yourself involved with such a high profiled person.. I mean it could be all over the papers if things start going wrong.. then how would you feel?"

Terri found she had to bite her tongue to stop herself from reminding her mother that she was not the one who made the mess of her marriage, but it was no good trying to point that out so she let it pass.

"What happens, between me and Adam is our affair no one else's including you, the newspapers and anyone else who thinks it is their business" she informed her pointedly

"I am only trying to look out for your welfare, don't get so snippitey with me" her mother chided her "I mean I am happy for you, that you have Adam, I always liked him as I said before.. and he has done so well for himself... probably has a bigger house than the one you and Derrick had... if not several houses all over the place.. you are set up well if things work out between you"

Terri frowned now not quite believing she was hearing this, but then realised she should not be too surprised.

"God Mother that is so crass" she exclaimed in disgust. "When are you going to realise that material possesions and having money is not everything in life, and it is certainly not important to me or Adam, our relationship is not about that"

"I know that Theresa" her mother replied

"No, I don't think you do" Terri replied now venting her full fury "I want you to listen very carefully mother, I love Adam not because of who he is or what he has, but because he is the first man to really show an interest in me, to care for me and make me feel good about myself, He loves me for who I am, and I love him for that same reason, no money or anything can replace that,, that is what our relationship is about mutual respect for each other and if he hadn't a penny I would still love him" she declared

Christine just stared at her not sure how to reply to this passionate outburst, her daughter had never talked to her like this before
and she wasn't sure how to react.

Seeing the shocked look on her mothers face, Terri forced herself to calm down.

"Look Mother, I am quite happy to let you back into my life if thats what you want.. but you must understand, I will no longer tolerate you trying to interfere, that applies to me and Adam.. you can wish us well as you like, but this is my life now I make the desicions
I am a grown woman .. can you understand that?" she finished staring at her mother pleadingly

"Well I think you have made it abundantly clear"her mother replied stiffly, "I don't know what has happened to you Theresa.. you have changed" she then said

Terri looked over at her with a small ironic smile "Yes mother I have, and its not before time too"

Okaaaay I can just about manage one more chapter after this just to tie up the story, which will be Adam and Terri's reunion in Dublin, where things don't go quite to plan:wink:

annj said:
Okaaaay I can just about manage one more chapter after this just to tie up the story, which will be Adam and Terri's reunion in Dublin, where things don't go quite to plan:wink:

One more chapter?? You're ending it so soon? OK, if you must. You have done a great job with this story and I hate to see it end. There's never enough Adam stories.

I just don't have anywhere else left to take it.. I just started out with this idea of Adam meeting someone he had hurt long ago, and I didn't even think it would develop this far *lol*
and I think I have covered almost everything that Terri could go through, with dealing with her relationship with Adam.. to sorting out her mother.. if I do think up anymore I will make a part 2:wink:

Back
Top Bottom