Adam Quotes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kafrun

Blue Crack Addict
We have a Bono Quotes thread, so can we have an Adam Quotes thread? :sad: The man has definitely said some quotable things :lol:

:shifty: Well.. I'll go ahead and get things started anyhow.

JO WHILEY: What's the biggest event of your life so far, it's a major question?
ADAM CLAYTON: So far, well, the biggest one I was there for has to be my own birth, at nine months after my conception. So, that's a big one, and I'm still getting over it.

Okay, I've got way more.. I'll post some a bit later. Everyone feel free to jump in!

love_u2_adam said:
rattle and hum:

"some say you shouldn't mix sport and politics or music and politics or what ever, well i think that's bull shit":happy:

:lol: Yeah, I just love the way he says that. :happy: Adam is too cool!

BP Fallon: If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
Adam: A giraffe. Why? 'Cause then you'd meet other giraffes.

Adam is very quoteable, he has such a way of giving wry answers to strange questions.

Ooh, yeah! :hyper: I love Adam's little quips and comments :love: :laugh:

"Yeah, I think I'd be a much better woman than I am a man.
I think my talents are more in that direction.
I don't mind dressing up, I don't think it makes much difference, not really.
I'd love to wear women's underwear if the sizes were right but they don't really support you,
you just tend to flop one way or the other." ~ Adam

In the early days our ambition was just to end the song together!"

Q: What do you do with the money you would have spent on drink?

Adam: I buy socks. I'm the kind of rich that likes a familiar pair of socks. You know, when you're on that party trip socks and underwear are hard to keep together.

"I'm famous because I know Bono."

"How many people really have friendships that have survived 20 years? I value it and think it's an amazing achievement."

Q: Adam, you are, arguably, the best dressed man in rock. How do you do it?

Adam: That's definitely arguable if you talk to me other three mates.

Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused.
It's not something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude

"To this day I can't really figure it out."- on how U2 won the St. Patrick's Day talent contest in 1978

"Men should not be forced to wear pants when it's not cold."

"Sometimes when I am playing, I get to a place where the bass seems to find its own rhythm, and then it becomes just a matter of which notes to push and which ones to hold back on. It's a discipline, really."

I love reading those quotes.. :cute:

You see Larry, you let an outsider taste your food for you.
I'm not jealous, but if you need someone to eat off your plate you should always go to your bassplayer.

-------------------------------------

All the women are gorgeous and all the men are gay.
If you can't pull tonight, you're hopeless.

"I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates"
Adam Clayton, on what he does for a living.

Beautiful quotes!! Here are some more:

"It was like - throw out technology. Give us a microphone and a bit of tape and you do the bit in between."
Adam describes the simplicity of recording in the legendary Sun Studio, 1989.

"If you believe in a cause, you must be willing to put yourself on the line for that cause."
Explaining why U2 agreed to play in the war-ravaged city of Sarajevo on the ZooTV tour, 1993.

"It was a pretty special couple of years. I mean it was a pretty mad couple of years where reality and fantasy and everything got kinda mixed up big time."
Describing the atmosphere of the ZooTV tour, 1993.

"With that tour, I feel we really pushed ourselves to the limit. I know that we regained a lot of critical credibility; that's nice but to be honest that wasn't something that I really thought about very much."
Adam on the success of the ZooTV tour, June 1994.

From http://www.three chordsandthetruth.net/u2quotes/adam.htm :wink:

One of my favourite Adam quotes also involved Bono and Edge:

Adam: We're not a packet of cornflakes. You know what I mean.

Bono: That's very deep, Adam. Could you explain that?

Adam: Well, do you buy cornflakes depending on where the money's going?

(pause)

Bono: Good question.

Edge: Fuckin' heavy. (laughter)

:lol:

The interview this came from is here, if anyone wants to read it.

I think women are the stronger sex. I don't think it's necessarily putting women on a pedestal, but I think it's acknowledging that women are stronger and you need their support and companionship to help you realise your potential as a man. That's an unusual theme in rock & roll. Rock & Roll is usually [very macho]...yeah. - 1992
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Making love involves two people, having sex only involves one. - 1989
"I had to be talked into it, I have to say. I was very nervous and apprehensive about revealing myself in such a way. But I got into the spirit of wickedness, I suppose. I really objected to the censorship that happened in certain countries, like I think in America they put a nasty black X over it or something. I think nude photography is absolutely appropriate and it shouldn't embarrass anyone. I think the pictures that Robert Mapplethorpe took of male nudes - those portraits - helped me look at myself as a man and to get used to looking at penises. It's a hard thing to overcome to begin with but I think it's good. I only wish I'd had an erection at the time." :lol:
Men should be encouraged to look at each other's penises. They needn't be hidden under a bushel. - Q magazine, November 2000
Part of it's just opening your eyes and realising that there are practical ways that people live and that's OK. There's nothing wrong with catching the subway in New York - you don't have to get a stretch limo. - 2001 (Note to PLEBAns in NYC - Take the subway more often :shifty: )

Ancalagon said:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the link to your site! Great work! I love reading those interviews. :up:

Ancalagon said:

Thank you so much for posting that link, Ancalagon! I had never read that interview, though I'd heard about it before. I printed it out (30 pages!) and read it today-- excellent interview!!

Thanks, again! :D

^ :lol: 30 pages!! Now I understand why my PDA's memory dropped to 75% so suddenly :D Ahhhhh these guys are entertaining :heart:

Have you ever slept in the open?

ADAM: Yeah, quite often actually. Well, I once slept on a roundabout in London in Camden, no sorry not as glamorous as Camden, it was Catford. I'd been to see Thin Lizzy play the Wembley Arena in their 'Live and Dangerous tour' so it would have been about '76. This time I'd been in the West End in a few clubs and didn't have any money to get home so I started walking. And I just walked as far as I could go before I fell asleep and I chose a roundabout and woke up at rush hour. It was a bit disorienting because I couldn't find my glasses so all I knew was I was on this patch of green and there were cars driving round me, so it was a bit of a strange way to wake up. 1992/3

"If you were to file us under anything in the record shop, I suppose it would have to be under 'rock'. But I think it's a very false divide. 'Rock' and 'Pop' cross over in so many places that I don't think you can put bands in neat little boxes like that." (February 1983)

It's amazing to see somebody who you basically grew up with at school and who you've been in a band with for 25 years going to the White House," says bassist Adam Clayton..."That's what we all signed up for. What excited us at 16 or 17 was punk, and the reason that turned us on was because (we were) angry about wanting things to change, that frustration. And that's still a part of what we are ...

"Bono gets around. But I think it's the U2 audience that he ultimately carries to those sorts of things, and our fans are very intelligent, they're very proactive, they're very committed."

"It's a trade and, I think, what's unique about Bono is that he's been very successful at speaking the language of politicians and knowing the numbers and knowing the arguments and making great records, as well,"-2005 (Excerpts from same article)

Edge is looking at his handheld computer to check on the weather forecast.
'Apparently it's raining now! ' he says.
'Yes,' says Adam, with a grin. 'Have you looked outside Edge?-2004

"In fact, I wonder if even the threats of reduced equity are really tough-love discipline, a way to say to any of [them], 'There's a price for letting the family down.' My analysis is interupted by a sharp pain across my right ear. I turn and look over the airplane seat and see a laughing Adam several rows back, shooting rubber bands."--Bill Flanagan.

"Radio should be stimulating people rather than actually killing them into a state of apathy, which I think has happened. Again, it goes back to this thing of partitioning music. People, particularly the youth, which are the lifeblood of any country, are stagnating because they have no stimulus. There's nothing challenging for them to get their teeth into. I think that's a terrible shame."

Last edited:
criscruz said:
"I simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates"
Adam Clayton, on what he does for a living.

Why, oh why, must I refrain from commenting..

thrillme said:

Edge is looking at his handheld computer to check on the weather forecast.
'Apparently it's raining now! ' he says.
'Yes,' says Adam, with a grin. 'Have you looked outside Edge?-2004

Talk about PDAs :D I know this is an Adam thread, but Edge is such a computer geek :heart: :lol: Gotta love him

thrillme said:

"If you were to file us under anything in the record shop, I suppose it would have to be under 'rock'. But I think it's a very false divide. 'Rock' and 'Pop' cross over in so many places that I don't think you can put bands in neat little boxes like that." (February 1983)

So true... :yes:

Just FYI...McAfee keeps giving me a "Trojan found and cleaned" message when I click on that link.

Ralphie said:

Just FYI...McAfee keeps giving me a "Trojan found and cleaned" message when I click on that link.

Thanks, Ralphie, that's interesting. I wonder if it's because of the Tripod pop-ups? :scratch:

30 pages??? No wonder it took so long to transcribe! LOL. Glad you guys are enjoying the interview. :D

That interview rocks :rockon:

BTW Ancalagon, your avatar is just :drool: :D Do you have a bigger picture pretty pretty please?? :angel: :wink:

Hey!!! Thanks so much!! :drool: :drool: That picture looks amazing, the expression on his face... :macdevil: :wink:

I found these at ancatdubh.org ;)

"I certainly like looking at the Spice Girls."
Being a typical male.
"Be careful what you set your sights upon because it just might happen."
Wise words.
"And if it doesn't work, we'll just blame Eno."
On excuses.
"I think if you're going to get into rock and roll you've got to be perfectly sure that from that day you start doing it, you know what you want and where you're going."
On determination.
"Nobody knows how it works. You turn the music up as loud as you can and hope people like it."
Explaining success.
"I just wasn't prepared for the establishment to write me off just because I didn't fit into their academic concept."
Expressing his animosity with the educational system.
"Y’know, we go to night clubs, we’re always hearing and seeing the best everywhere around the world and you kind of bring that home with you and we just sorta felt that, y’know, we could do a club that was exciting and interesting to people and had a broad music policy. I suppose it’s just because we want to go to our own place rather than roam around the city."
Why everyone should own their own night club.

Back
Top Bottom