Adam and Lucy - Chapter 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
To quote a very good friend and proofreader of mine:

"This fic needs subtitles!"

:eeklaugh: Well, I know at least most of THIS chapter needs subtitles. I am seriously falling in love with Gaelige :drool:

Disclaimer: Not true, never happened, lotsa swears. ...LOTSA swears. There's an unedited version if this chap, if anyone's interested. :shifty:

Lucy, take it away...
-----

I'm laying in bed when Larry comes home, hating myself for what I've just said to Adam. He climbs in bed with me and wraps his arms around me. Strong, tense, comforting.

"Conas atá tú?" He whispers in my ear. How are you?

"Breá," I reply. Fine.

"Ar bith! Aithním thú. Céard é tá cearr?" No! I know you. What's wrong? Larry holds me tighter and kisses my neck just below my ear. His left hand moves down from my chest to my waist. I say nothing and never want to leave his arms again. But I completely crushed Adam. "Muirnín, abair liom." Darling, talk to me.

"Fuathaím mé féin," I whisper. I hate myself.

"Cad chuige?" Larry pushes himself up on his elbow and looks down at me. Why? He takes his hand off my waist and strokes my hair. He's so gentle. God, why is this decision so hard? Larry or Adam. MacEachran, make up your mind.

"Loit mé Adam." I destroyed Adam.

Larry kisses my cheek. "Tá sé breá. Cónóidh sé." He's fine. He'll live. Larry lays back down, fully spooning me now. I snuggle into him. "Tá mé chomh doirte sin duit, Máire." I love you so much, Mary. I roll over to face him and he smiles at me.

"Dáirire?" Really? He nods. My heart starts thumping in my chest. Oh, God, he's in love with me. I look into his eyes and I remember how we were before I met Adam. He wouldn't have said that then. I was just a bit of fun during recording sessions in Dublin. There were never any feelings beyond desire, no commitment. If he phoned, he phoned. If not, he was too tired for sex that night. But ever since I met Adam and sort of settled down, he's become more interested in me as a person. He found out I knew Gaelic and now it's rare for us to speak English when we're alone. He's protective, kind, caring. I find myself more at ease with him than Adam. With Adam, I have to act like an English girl and behave myself. And Adam doesn't touch me unless nobody's looking.

"Máire?" Larry asks, pulling me out of that memory. I open my eyes. I didn't know they were closed and I look up at him. "Bhí tú ag codladh." You were sleeping.

"Cá fhad?" How long? I notice the light in the room is much dimmer than before. He shrugs and kisses me. It didn't bother him. Adam and I don't have games. We don't play or act silly. I love playing with Larry. I don't like this cage Adam's set up around me. He quietly controls everything, like hiding that note from Larry from me. If he'd just given it to me in the first place, I probably wouldn't have gone to Paris at all. And I wouldn't be lying here in Larry's arms, so uneasy about how right this feels. I give in. Adam and I are over. "Fágaigí Baile Átha Cliath." Let's leave Dublin.

"Ní liom teacht," I can't.

"Na buachaillí, ceart," I sigh. The boys, right. "Fágfaidh mé." I'll leave. He lets me stand up.

"Mary, don't," Larry sits up. His panic breaks his concentration on Gaelic.

"What am I doing here? What am I doing, Larry, other than sticking the knife deeper in Adam? Making him feel worse is only making me feel worse," I walk out of the bedroom.

He follows me out. "Goddamn you, Lucy. Would you just make up your fucking mind already? Adam, who's never trusted you, who doesn't know you like I do, who doesn't respect you, or me. Lucy, I do love you. I don't know when it happened, but I fell in love with you. This is the only place I can call home, and it's because you're here. Because I wake up in the morning and you're lying next to me. Because you're having my baby," Larry sighs. I look at the floor. "You thought I wouldn't figure it out? We've been living together for over a month and suddenly you've got the flu in the middle of summer? I know you're pregnant, Lucy." He kneels at my feet and looks up into my eyes. "Lucy, it's always been you and me. Long before you met Adam, it was you and me. Remember Paris? Not just the last time, but all the times we've stolen off to Paris and spent a night, a week never leaving our room, never leaving the bed. Lucy, you can't tell me that after thirteen years together you love Adam and not me."

"Larry," I whisper.

"No, Lucy. Don't say it. You know what? It's fine. Forget it. Forget all of it. Get your shit and get out. I'm tired of you not being able to make up your mind. I'm tired of you being mine one second and his the next. I never wanted to share you."

"Then why the fuck did you let me marry him? Why didn't you stop it? Why didn't you break it up, get in the middle of it and prevent it from happening? Where were you? Why, when I sobered up, did you not tell me that it was all just an Adam thing and that it wasn't real? We could've stayed together. I would've stayed your mistress, your girlfriend, whatever, but you let me get into this situation. You let Las Vegas happen. You should be mad at yourself, not me."

"I am! I'm pissed off as all hell! You know where I was? Outside doing what none of the other guys wanted to, being nice to the fans, signing autographs, having my corneas burned with ten million flashes. I had no idea it was happening! I didn't even know for months what had really happened. All of a sudden, Adam was the center of your universe and I got left in the dust. Adam and Edge worked so hard on making sure that you and Adam stayed together. I hardly ever saw you anymore."

I start to cry. "Adam told me you were fine with it, so I never asked. He said you didn't care and that you were happy for me, for us."

"Well, I wasn't," Larry sighs. He stands up and tries to hug me, but I push his arms away.

"No, Larry. I need to think for a while," I head for the door.

"Lucy," he takes my hand and pulls me back to him. "Stay. I'll let you do all the thinking you need. Just please don't leave tonight. I know you, your mind's already made up."

I kiss his cheek. "I'll come back, Larry. I just need a break from all of this for a while, okay?" His arms melt off of me.

He chuckles, "Lucy, you drive me fucking mad sometimes." He kisses my forehead. "I'll see you soon."

I walk into the nearest pub and don't make it back home that night.

I did a pre-emptive emailing of the unedited version to all The Usual Suspects. :wink:

"Your mind's already made up."

Larry is very perceptive. :giggle:

Awesome! And the unedited stuff was even better, but it wasn't too strong for here no?

I really loved this chapter, thanks for including me in the group! :wave:

Part 15 will be posted if not today, definitely tomorrow. 16 will be posted Wednesday, then 17 Friday. These next three chapters are a very important part of the story and I don't mind rushing them, actually. So, just be patient. You will be rewarded.

Back
Top Bottom