AB/Hidden sexual references

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Is it just me...or does Achtung Baby have a lot of references to sex (esp. oral sex)in it?

*Now I know the following aren't REALLY about sex (One?), but pulling certain lines makes you wonder..."

EBTTRT
" Give me one more chance and you'll be satisfied...I'm gonna make you sing/Give me half a chance to ride on the waves that you bring"

"One:
"Did I disappoint you/Leave a bad taste in your mouth"..."You ask me to enter"

UTEOTW
"Surrounding me/going down on me"

So Cruel
"I disappeared in you...screams like an angel for your love"

MW
"She's slippy/you're sliding down...better learn how to kneel"

Ultraviolet
"Now we lie together in whispers and moans"

Acrobat:
"And you can swallow/Or you can spit/You can throw it up/Or choke on it"

LIB
"In a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love made complete...squeeze the handle, blow out the candle"

Someone did take a poll once and AB won as best album to make love to...

------------------
Your Catholic blues
Your convent shoes
Your stick-on tattoos
Now they're making the news
Your holy war
Your northern star
Your sermon on the mount
From the boot of your car

Please

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 11-21-2001).]

I agree with you completely. I've always thought that and especially with....

"One:
"Did I disappoint you/Leave a bad taste in your mouth"..."You ask me to enter"

UTEOTW
"Surrounding me/going down on me"

MW
"She's slippy/you're sliding down...better learn how to kneel"

Acrobat:
"And you can swallow/Or you can spit/You can throw it up/Or choke on it"

LIB
"In a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love made complete...squeeze the handle, blow out the candle"

Whenever I listen to them, the thought enters my mind. Naughty.

I agree. Also in Zoo Station I find some lyrics very suggestive And I love the way he groans
icon26.gif
biggrin.gif

Holy shit!!!! Damn how you can twist words with your nasty minds!!! LMFAO wow ok some of them are pretty darn obvious I mean you can't deny So Cruel EBTTRT, UTEOTW, or LIB but One??? Poor Bono all he's trying to do is come up with an analogy for a love gone bitter and now he's talking about leaving something very specific in your mouth. Ouch!!! I'm surprised Shakespeare doesn't get as much heat for his innuendos.

The on your knees reference in Mysterious Ways just uh doesn't make sense or it does but then that would really be really disgusting. In order for that to have anything to do with oral sex that would mean the boy on his knees would be giving it the singer being on the receiving end, alright need I say more I think you get the picture. Besides it's just a reference to a Hendrix song (memory hazy, foxy lady?) in which Hendrix says something about wanting to kiss the sky and Bono's reply is to learn how to pray (thus the kneeling). Wow from prayer to oral sex, this is about as bad as the whole ordeal with that Louie Louie (spel?) by the Kingsman in the 60's. With that said the rest of the lyrics in that song is of course self-explanatory.

Ok ok maybe I'm being too anal about it, but oh I never expected to stumble across the lyrics in this manner. I mean really, taken outta of context this can be some pretty heavy conversation. Acrobat is especially graphic but put into the song is just another analogy as to the many ways a person can handle a situation.

Personally I think this is over analyzing, this something I would argue dearly with my English teachers and still do especially when studying Shakespeare. I mean when you write you just write. The goal of writing is to articulate a feeling, to be able to describe something and anything in the way you see it or feel it to someone else. Metaphors, similes, references, analogies, etc. are simply tools you use subconsciously. The object and subject of such descriptions will just happen to be whatever your most familiar with, or just whatever you think your audience will most easily grasp so as to understand what you mean. I really doubt that anyone will consciously say I will put a metaphor here so that 50 years from now an English teacher can say I'm a genius. When you write you write from the heart and that's basically what makes great writers. If you've listened to a song 500 times before and never noticed it until one day you were bored and your hormones were acting up, then that's most likely not the original meaning. It's like a murderer reading the Bible trying to find something to justify his action, if that's really what you want it to say you'll eventually find something. Know whatta I mean?

Sorry going off in a rant, I'm suffering from Elevation withdrawal, I'm bored, I missing the B. B. King show (he's performing in his restaurant in Hollywood) because I don't have a car and it would cost me $70 for a round trip on a cab. Argh!!!!! *banging head against table* plus tomorrow it's Thanksgiving, I'm stuck in all alone in this huge ass state with nothing to do and nowhere to go cause everything is gonna be closed tomorrow anyway, plus all my roomies and nearly my whole dorm complex is going home. BLAH!!!!

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Bono's comment on these interpretetions was that he never thought of it like that when he wrote it. But when he sees it now he can see that people read sex so much into the songs. And it is an album about love, break ups and relationsships so no wonder.
If any of you have "Into the heart - the meaning behind every U2 song" ( or something like that) by Niall Stokes it's interesting to read what's behind the AB songs.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Babybabybaby light my way....

See my thread about Bono's iridescent crotch

------------------
~*Mona*~ Echo's Pimpstress Protege
97% compatible with Bono

Proud Owner of the one and only Bon Jovi soap caddy

Love me, give me soul.

Magic magic magic Joe Houdini.....

mbi16 - Of couse I understand what you're saying. These are songs, that for many of us, didn't represent sex at all. Listening to them 101 times and hearing about betrayl, relationhips, love, etc, is what we heard.

I've pulled these lines to show what some MAY think. The words above do not necessairly represent the feelings of the author.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
Bono's comment on these interpretetions was that he never thought of it like that when he wrote it. But when he sees it now he can see that people read sex so much into the songs. And it is an album about love, break ups and relationsships so no wonder.
If any of you have "Into the heart - the meaning behind every U2 song" ( or something like that) by Niall Stokes it's interesting to read what's behind the AB songs.

I remember reading that he said he didn't realise some lines could be interpreted that way but he also said that songs mean different things to different people. What does that say about us lot on here then? LOL

Originally posted by UV2001:
I remember reading that he said he didn't realise some lines could be interpreted that way but he also said that songs mean different things to different people. What does that say about us lot on here then? LOL
lol!!!! *hides* Friday night running.....to Sunday on my knees....THAT girl THAT girl.....

*runs to listen to BonoMix*

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

AB is a very sexual album - even without the lyrics. The guitar solo in MW just sends me to a very special place!
wink.gif

Originally posted by EPandAmerica:
The guitar solo in MW just sends me to a very special place!
wink.gif

It does, it does!!! Oh, I'm freaking out during the show when it sounds like the song is over but you see that Dallas is handing this little thing (don't know the word in english, looks like a pipe, know what I mean?) to Edge, he takes it and just slides over the strings and gets into the most amazing part in the whole song, the whole show. I just want to dance away, well I do,
biggrin.gif
when I hear it... It's heaven on earth!!!

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
It does, it does!!! Oh, I'm freaking out during the show when it sounds like the song is over but you see that Dallas is handing this little thing (don't know the word in english, looks like a pipe, know what I mean?) to Edge, he takes it and just slides over the strings and gets into the most amazing part in the whole song, the whole show. I just want to dance away, well I do,
biggrin.gif
when I hear it... It's heaven on earth!!!

sounds orgasmic

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
sounds orgasmic

*is scandalized* (big surprise!)

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

Back
Top Bottom