AAAaaaaa!!! Dazz is THIS CLOSE>>l l to buying her [i]FIRST[/i] Electric Guitar!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
AAAaaaaa!!! Dazz is THIS CLOSE>>l l to buying her [i]FIRST[/i] Electric Guitar!!!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:giggle:

*Note to Mods*
please do NOT merge this with guitar girl thread for a few dys............
..b/c a bunch of my PLEBN & PGP friends & acquaintences do NOT GO TO THAT Specific thread (they have EG's but hardly ever touch them now, WANT to have them, but don't have them yet etc)....

>>so I'd like as many interested people comments here first- before merging it- IF you have the inclination to do so. :)

thanks! :)

Last edited:
:D:D:D

LOL

I had an acoustic guitar when I was Hmmmm about ?15 - 25 yrs old> At some point I lent it to a a friend (we began ex-friends about 15 yrs later, and i never got it back from her .

Then when I was aroubnd ? 16-17 my dad found a pretty cheap guitar in the burnt out apartment 4 stories above us :yikes: that -- dad was on the tennnets group who were figghting a landlord gone bad :mad: ) he said had been a heroin addict (don't know for sure:shrug:), so the gut never came back, and dad toook it.

A friend (bassist & his bro was a lead gitarist in local blues bands) gave me a mid-size amp........
Buty as my dad became a more nasty person I had to stop playing sort of w the amp. And the guitar "controls" didn't really work etc so it finally got put away in a closet.

So....WHY NOW??!!??
A confluence of events/& luck............

I still had my Holiday gift $$ from my Mom (often spent BEFORE my B-Day <March>); I got more money :yippie: for my B-D; Guitar Centers happen to have their Big March sale; and I will be getting one of the economic stimulous checks.
Part of it (ES check) will be used to pay back some other extra money I also got (other reasons), since I am using a fair portion of that to pay for the EG NOW -- for their original purposes BEFORE i decided to ~*~ dream of possibly geting one....talking to myy guitar gals has been putting that long time dream more front & center again in the past year- with little possibilty of it happened until this confluence just occured.

Striking while the iron is hot!

I put 2/3rds of the layawy in-- and will HOPEFULLY be picking it up tomorrow! aaaaaaaa! I had the price of the guitar on sale- I just didn't have the tax monies until I could get this one extra check, and cash it tonight.

Now I KNOW some of you won't think of it as a real guitar"--
because it's a Squire by Fender but that's what I could afford. Yeah, gg2, I sactually got one for 34$'s more the Affinity model-- :hug:S who so graciously posted a link to the lowest EG @ GC sale for me , when I broached the question of thinking about possibly getting one a few weeks back!

Hvae to leave where I am now, but headfing up to thr net cafe........BBS!

PLEASE excuse typos!

Last edited:
does it come with an amp and everything?
my neighbors got one with an amp, electric tuner, and case

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
does it come with an amp and everything?
my neighbors got one with an amp, electric tuner, and case

:wave:

Hi EITS!

Unfortunately- no.

I'll have to save up for a tiny amp.
My goal isn't playing in a band, just for my own sheer pleasure, and perhaps if I get halfway good, a bit o'playing with at least one friend who has an acoustic.

IF some transformatinal kind of thing happen that might lead me to be IN a band (verrrrrrrrryyyy doubtful), then a different amp would be called for. For mostly forever (most likely) a small amp will do. :)

No case either.
But being the Arts & Crafty Grrl that I am......I will be researching thick, ripstop-nylon fab & appropriate thread.....to hand-craft my own soft case.
My plan ( as it is for now)~~
I'd make a THIN Nylon inner- cover to use when it inclement weather to put inside the real carry-all one.
I really doubt I'm going to be taking my :love: "baby" outside for a l-o-n-g time.
I'd would construct some kind of inner pouches inside the carrying one-- in order to stuff Bubble-wrap inside to use for protective cushioning. :lol:

I have a friend who is a gadget grrl like me, and I will be telling her about this, and see what improvements, or other approach (besides saving for a case- I'm MUCH rather save for an amp first) to this she might have.

No tuner- but i asked & was shown 4 electronic ones in a price range.
I hope I can find a "whistle" (blow-into) type vs. an electronic at this point! Less money. I don't mind if it's off a bit.
When I tried to goggle it up as that old-fashion type...... the way I put in the search words- because I couldn't think of a proper name for it- didn't get me any info, so far :lol: !

I will ask again, tomorrow.
Right now also-
they ran out of Retro ? mutli-pack picks-- ie I asked if anyone had a sert of several thick/thinesses varieties in packs. Retro has a thin/medium/thick set.

The ONLY reason I KNOW this bit o'info is that the NON-custom pick for :heart: Edge that a U2 roadie gave me in 2001 {outside MSG }>> when I turned it to the other side it said .53 mm - soo I thot...'ah............different thicknesses' !:D

tomorrow shoUld be THE daY!

Last edited:
I've printed out basic chords ( I hardly remember ANY :uhoh: :grumpy: :giggle: ), how to read guitar chord charts ( have done so in past), BUT didn't know one peice of info- that the x's meant you were't supposed to strum those strings! :eeklaugh:

I've you'll use Guitar tabs which I was like :huh: just coming across them as you've traded info. But I printed out THAT info, too!

The FINAL Print-outr at least tonight--
as I read the reviews for the Squire by Fender (3 models) -- the PHRASE... set up the guitar... jumped outat me...............
Ok........WHAT is THAT? Specifically. I had at least a faint guesss about it being related toadjustments.

SO I have someof the *NICEST* homework- that one could be asked to look at- tomight!

:ohmy: :ohmy:

:hyper: :hyper:
:love: :love:

I GOT it!!!

Celebrate with me!!!!!

:giggle:

SHINEY black color! :drool:

Even if it's been like 20 yrs, you can tell I've held and played a guitar <at least somewhat> before!

I bought a tuner, but will wait for a slower day, or when I'm less tired to use it. Luckily I have a few triple AAA batteries to use- if the ones that came with it fizzle out.

Last edited:
:hmm:

I can see/feel I am having the same trouble with certain chords-- those with practice MAYBE I'll improve.

I and my mom have a -suppose it's called a recessive gene < not as common> for a longer than usual Index finger. It's like an eighth inch shorter than our Middle fingers.

Now I never really noticed it until ?sometime in my ? 30's when my mom happen to notice it, and say 'oh you've got it like me'. We sometimes wear out gloves faster because they are made to the standard size index fingers.

I see when I have the index finger in a higher up position on the fret board and the middle & ring fingers come down past it for the next two strings over--i may not be able to place them as well- because the height that the extra length conveys is more room/space for my #2 & #3 fingers to get past it.
I hope that makes sense! :uhoh: :D

i'll check out a chord chart and point out the few.
C major is DEF one!

Last edited:
I ended up buying the $20 Korg tuner.
So last night I tuned it up. It was pretty close to begin with.
What a fun little machine!

I also read part of Guitar for Dummies @ Barnes & Nobles. :D

I suggested as the guy at GC suggested until I could buy an amp to hook it with adaptor into my Boom Box. But instead of using one of the inputs in the back- since I have a mike input in mine, I'll do it through that! :hyper: Probably buy next week.

Learned a few things already.

Congrats Daz! And good luck learning how to play it. The few times I've tried my fingers get real raw - i guess if you put your mind to it, that goes away or you develop calouses or whatever. I guess you can always use a pick too.

Anyway, do you have pics of it?

*old-fashion NEWS Teletype machines clacking away*

~*Dazz & Her Electric Guitar Update*~

:D

I definitely made a major advance this weekend! :yippie:
I had figured before i bought it that I might be able to put my EG through the Boom Box I have- since i can not afford a practice amp untill some months later of saving up for it {and waiting for a good sale}!

When I was looking at 'Guitar for Dummies" book, they mentioned how to do that, IF you didn't have an amp.
I did it a bit differently because there is a separate input for a microphone (ala karaoke) on mine vs one of the inputs in the back.
The guy I talked to at GC, suggested I get a converter jack 1/4 inch cable to 1/8 inch cable. That's what I did.

I thought it almost didn't work- because I wan't getting any sound at first. :huh: Yet I had my boom box volume up halfway and the EG up at 4-5.
I finally looked again, and HA! I'd forgotten that the Mic jack has it's OWN volume control!:reject: :lol:

Voila! I turned that up, and next time I picked the string..... waaang .......Amplified Sound! Woo hoo! :hyper:

I have 2 roomies, one who is often a bi-atch......THAT one is around waaaay too much. Of course she was there, so I couldn't really try it out as fully as I'd like to :mad: . She often hates noise ([of course, unless it's HERS] - so you CAN imagine!
She doesn't even know I have bought it.... no need for her TO know. I'll just have to wait till she goes out, to really let her rip!:drool:

I was able to distinguish the difference in sound between 3 of the 5 positions of the pick-up switch. THAT was exciting, too!! :hyper:

I'm also beginning to try and RELEARN how to read music, like I knew....40 plus years ago! 5th & 6th grade music-making. Viola, then clarinet.
I am slowly beginning to, after using the memnomic tricks of Every Good Boy Deserves Favor for the lined notes and FACE for the space notes Now yesterday they are slowly beginning to merge for the complete bar of music.

I have also read about the Guitar Tabs (and it's other way set up UNDER the regular musical notations) , but that is too complicated :yikes: for me to take THAT all in yet. That's ok...... bit by bit!

I also already know how to hammer on, pull off and bend notes. THAT sounded SOOOO cool when I did with amplification!

While I was playing with the sound.... switched rock radio stations, and got In God's Country , and was able to pick out most of notes on that high cascading set of single notes Edge does towards the end. One of MY MOST FAV riffs of his! omg!

Last edited:
That's so cool! I wish I could play. But hubby plays guitar, bass and drums and we try not to do the same things - we're both too competitive!!!

I would think tabs would be pretty easy but if you're trying to remember how to read music, I can see how it would be too much for the brain all at once.

Awhile ago, I bought hubby a little chord book that was shaped like the neck of a guitar, that showed you where to put your fingers for every chord imaginable (but not the H chord, alas), kind of like tabs but very visual/hands on (the way I learn). It was really really cheap (like $5 or something).

oh wow... what a problem to have...... being too competitive in the pursuits you'd both do!:huh:

well if we are both talking about the same thing....re GT's.

Actually I just realized this morning i can NOW go into the thread re U2 GT's! :hyper: :giggle:

:hmm: I THINK i saw that book. but I remember it being MUCH more expensive! A gently used copy?

:eyebrow:
NO H-Chord ??!!??!!!

then it's NOT COMPLETE!:madwife:

:wink:

I just got home and the book is sitting right here. It's called "The Guitar Chord Deck" Amsco Publications and, yeah, it's a little more expensive than I thought. $9.95. It's really cool thought b/c it shows you where to put your fingers on the neck and on the back it shows you what the chord looks like in regular music notation and tabs.

alright

SO FAR........I can't get these guitar tab stuff

But just printed out 2 articles so hopefully thaT'LL DO IT.

ALSO PRINTED OUT 3 GTABS FROM the tread that has those here!

ANd the crankie roomie who hates almost any noise that isn't hers...:madspit:....should be out of apt, while I'm still there...SO time to sort of [without :uhoh: blowinng out my Boom box] "crank up the soundddddd!!

:hyper: :hyper:

:wink:
:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:uhoh: :giggle:
I kinda got confused abit!
But it's getting a bit better.:D
I printed out about 7 songs from ?u2nation...a site suggested in the 3 chords& truth sub-forum.

I've gotten a bit if the chords to In God's Country:drool: :drool:
One of MY Faves! ANd just as I was starting toplay one night--- IGC came on radio... and I was able to catch some of the super-high cascading part :heart: and match the notes pretty well.

My CD got screwed up again- iu press 2 buttons to fast, so a disk got out of it's slot- now i can't play it

takes a while to get all the stuff off on top of it to fix.

slowly..... slowly.............

I seem to be getting the F chord better sometimes I'm usung 4 dingers for that instead of my index barring the first 2 strings.
C chord alsoa bit easier niw....

but oh the wrist twisting i have to do to get some of the notes.....:uhoh:

my future (partial?) livelyhood depends on these Artistic hands to be in GOOD shape to transfer what's in mah mind ontopaper or 'puter.:huh:

HOPEFULLY it'll be
1) either a matter of time to get use to it.
2) When i design and make my guitar strap next months ($$ for webbing straps and leather pieces to make the holes in for the nobs onon the G- sewn & cut & gluesd together) - the positions will be easier on my fretting hand.

When I play fastish I sure get a work out on my right shoulder :D {good for me)

NO time to peally play in the last 2 weeks bb/c of stuff to do, plus the cranky roomie was aroubnd to much, and i wanted to really play amped.. :sigh:
But she did go out (whike I was home) earlier in the week so i go to play some.

I noticed i started picking at a callus on the very top right tip (by the fingernail) tip of my index finger-- then I thot STOP-- I was getting my first proper callus. :lol:

Haven't had time to look at any of my printed material, mostly practicing what I sort of know already.
I got a bit of "Radio Nowwhere " down in lead meloldy. yay.:D

Back
Top Bottom