A Warrior's Homecoming: Prologue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALass4Larry

Acrobat
Trying to break free from Larry's subconcious
Hi All,
I'm a big fan of historical fiction so I thought I'd give it a whirl here. It might be intresting to see characters based on band members set in a different time. Well, at least it does in my mind...ANYWAY, the following story is total fiction, no disrespect to anyone intended, any resemblence to U2 members is strictly for entertainment purposes. I hope it reads as good in print as it does in my mind. Comments welcome but it's my first time...be gentle.

Prologue: Ireland, 1554

Samhain was his favorite festival, one he looked forward to each year. Of course, when your birthday fell on the same day as any festival extra fun was always to be had.
His favorite part had always been the bonfire. The young ones in the village gathered 'round singing songs to the spirits of their ancestors, with a few thrown in especially for him. This year was different, though. He'd noticed, since sunset, the millers daughter, Brigid, staring at him, like she was seeing him for the first time. They'd known each other all their lives. Every harvest he and his Da would bring their wheat crop to the miller to be ground into flour.
He stepped back into the shadows, looking at her. When did she stop braiding her hair? Tonight it hung straight to her waist. Was it always that shade of auburn? He stepped back into the light. Her flashing green eyes stared boldly at him, her gaze not leaving his face. He took a deep breath and walked towards her. When did she grow so tall? Her forehead reached his lips. "Hello Lass", he managed to say. Why were his hands so sweaty? "Hello yourself", she replied. "Are you enjoying your birthday?" He stood tall and puffed up his chest, pleased that she remembered. "Aye, 'tis not everyday a young man turns ten and six." She laughed. "Ten and six are ye now? I suppose that'll be old enough to brush the horses without one of them knocking you into the trough?" He felt the blush burn his cheeks and he scowled. Would she never forget that? He was ten and two when that happened!
"Brigid, come help put the wee ones to bed", her mother called from nearby. She turned to look at him. His blue eyes stared back at her defiantly and the scowl remained on his face. She leaned in close. "May God bless your dreams", she whispered. He watched her walk away, sat down on a haystack, pushed his blond hair out of his eyes and remembered to breathe. "Funny how the bonfire makes me sweat", he thought to himself.
God did seem to bless his dreams that night. She was standing next to him laughing at the festivities surrounding them. He held her hand. He saw her face go from laughter to terror, smelled the smoke from the bonfire, and in the back of his mind heard the screams. Then God left his dreams and the devil took over his reality. His father shook him awake. "Run to the smitty, he'll give you a horse and instructions." He ran out the back door of the cottage and down the lane to Tom, the village blacksmith. He never turned around to see his father fall to the ground, or the dagger that stuck out of his back...

Great prologue. :)

Can I give you a (very) gentle suggestion about formatting?

Try to separate the paragraphs... esp when different characters are speaking. It makes it easier on the eyes.

Having said that, your style is intriguing, and you got my attention with this. Something very different.

Well done and post more!

Carrie

:wave: Nice beginning to a new fic. I like the way you have the characters speak as they would have done in those days and the fact that 'he' suddenly up and realises that Brigid has suddenly grown...

Only one thing I'd like to add is it'd read easier if you broke up the paragraphs a little, otherwise looking forward to the next bit.

Lass, I see your location is Brooklyn, I live on Long Island.
:wave:
I haven't noticed posts from you before, so WELCOME !!

I love your idea- can't wait for more.

Back
Top Bottom