A question I've had for a long time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I hope this is the right place to post this. I thought either here or EYKIW, but here goes . . .

So, I've wondered for a long time about the relationship between Edge and Adam.

From what I've read, heard and seen, it's obvious that Edge and Bono are really close and best friends. And I know that Bono and Larry are really close because they bonded early-on over losing a close loved one. Obviously Adam and Larry are close because they're the rhythm section, they work closely together, and they're often photographed together. And I've also seen, read stuff where Bono and Adam are described as close, like when Bono gave Adam a tapestry for Adam's 40th birthday and Adam said he honestly didn't think he would live to see his 40th birthday and that statement made Bono so sad he cried.

So, I know that those close relationships exist. But I've almost never heard anything about Edge and Adam's relationship. As far as I know (which is not everything), I've rarely seen Edge and Adam photographed just the two of them. I've only once seen them do an interview together. I never see them interact on stage together (except to switch instruments for "40"). I never hear about them hanging out together or vacationing together. I've just always wondered about their relationship.

Does anyone here know more? I mean, I'm sure they get along because U2 probably wouldn't have survived otherwise. But I just never get any news about their friendship.

Please inform me. I've been wondering about this for years.

Last edited:
Read "U2 At the End of the World," it will answer a lot of your questions. Edge and Adam have known each other since they were small because their parents were friends. When Edge split from his first wife, he stayed at Adam's house.

Cool. Thanks. That makes me happy.

I don't think I've read that one. I think I've read two books on U2, the one by Eamon Dunphy "Unforgettable Fire" is it? And I've read another one. Almost all of my books are in storage right now, and those two definitely are. I read them both such a long, long time ago. So I'll definitely have to check out "At The End of the World".

Thanks again! :)

Even if you werent a U2 fan, At the End o the World is a great book that describes four of the most colorful years of the biggest band's existence. Its really a good look at what goes on behind the scenes of a huge rock band. Its crazy how much surrounds them.

I've always thought your question more towards Edge and Larry not Edge and Adam. I've never sensed anything odd between Edge and Adam. But I don't really feel there's anything wrong between Edge and Larry. I just never see them together.

dsmith2904 said:
"U2 At the End of the World" is a must-read, made completely with the band's involvement and full of so much information and great stories that it will make your head spin.

I think I've read this book at least once a year since I bought it about 5 years ago :reject: I :heart: it!

arw9797 said:
I've never sensed anything odd between Edge and Adam.

Not that I know them personally or even claim to know a lot about them, but I guess I've just wondered about the Edge--Adam relationship because, from what little I know, they have such opposite personalities. Adam seems like such a laid-back, easy-going, whatever-attitude kind of guy. And I've heard that Edge is very perfectionist, tormented, driven kind of guy. Add to that the fact that I've rarely heard them, or seen them, interacting--just the two of them together, and . . . i don't know. It just always made me wonder if they got along as well as the others in the band.

That's all.

FitzChivalry said:
Cool. Thanks. That makes me happy.

I don't think I've read that one. I think I've read two books on U2, the one by Eamon Dunphy "Unforgettable Fire" is it? And I've read another one. Almost all of my books are in storage right now, and those two definitely are. I read them both such a long, long time ago. So I'll definitely have to check out "At The End of the World".

Thanks again! :)

The Dunphy book is an amusing read but full of inaccuracies so beware. Get the Flanagan book and if you can find them, get any Hot Press compilations, they contain the best interviews that U2 have ever given.

FitzChivalry said:
And I've also seen, read stuff where Bono and Adam are described as close, like when Bono gave Adam a tapestry for Adam's 40th birthday and Adam said he honestly didn't think he would live to see his 40th birthday and that statement made Bono so sad he cried.

Does anyone know where this info came from? I'd like to look it up.

Adam wears a beanie every now and then...dunno if that makes a point...but hey! he looks good

Re: Re: A question I've had for a long time

girlwcrimsonnls said:

Does anyone know where this info came from? I'd like to look it up.

I tried so hard last night to find the source for you. I know it's in my damn apartment somewhere!

In the Rolling Stone interview w/ Bono, Jann Werner tell Bono, "Earlier this year in an interview you alluded to having a major scare, what was that . . . "

Well, that earlier interview that Jann is alluding to . . . I would bet my bottom dollar that this is where the Adam comment is. In that earlier interview I remember Bono was saying something about how his priorities had changed after a couple things happened and this major scare (which at the time he wouldn't disclose) and how suddenly the guy on the barstool next to him in the pub didn't seem as interesting as being at home with Ali and the kids.

And in that context is where he made the comment about Adam and how it made him sad, but also value life at the same time.

I can see it in my mind's eye, I just can't point you to the source.

Sorry. :(

Last edited:
backtoback.jpg

This is from BP Fallon's book. It's 2 pages so it would fit on my scanner. But I took a picture of it....it's one of my favorite pictures in the book:

IMG_0154.jpg

Re: Re: Re: A question I've had for a long time

FitzChivalry said:
I tried so hard last night to find the source for you. I know it's in my damn apartment somewhere!

In the Rolling Stone interview w/ Bono, Jann Werner tell Bono, "Earlier this year in an interview you alluded to having a major scare, what was that . . . "

Well, that earlier interview that Jann is alluding to . . . I would bet my bottom dollar that this is where the Adam comment is.

:confused: I thought the major scare was about him (Bono) having some type of illness, but fortunately, it wasn't the case.

europop2005 said:
Adam wears a beanie every now and then...dunno if that makes a point...but hey! he looks good

Here is my favorite Adam in a beanie pic
435048b6.jpg

Oooh:drool:

tuwie said:
if this doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, i don't know what else would ;]
AEcuteshoulder.jpg

yay!

Thank you Tuwie! :wink:

That pictures does make me happy and all of these pics have opened my eyes to an Edge - Adam friendship that I've rarely seen photographed before.

You PLEBANS rock with your Adam - Edge photos!!!!

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom