A fundraising idea for Bono....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ME2U2

The Fly
I was having a little think about my Xmas wish list today and apart from the essentials i.e. to be with my family etc. and the more hopeful idea of world peace etc. I came up with an idea. How great would it be to have a signed picture from Bono with a few words (my choice would be JT era with To Jeannie "ONE" Love from Bono) and the proceeds going to maybe Aids, World Vision, Save the Children etc. Now I know Bono is a very busy man but it wouldnt even matter if it was a "copy" but perhaps originals could be sold for a decent amount (US $500? ? what do you think?). It is a win win situation for everyone, heaps of money raised for charity and some very happy U2 fans. The charity could even be mentioned on the picture so people would ask about it - more publicity = more money = more people helped. I know I would be happy to pay up to AUD$100 even for a copy knowing in a roundabout way I can help someone out.
What do you think?

Oh, the idea doesn't suck! It's cool! The hard part would be getting an autographed pic of Bono, and then there are all sorts of legal issues with fundraisers. I work with a charity that's all U2 fans and we raise $$ for wells in Africa! We do a Bono fund-raiser every year for his birthday, and............well click on the African Well Fund URL in my sig and check it out! Plus we already have all the legal stuff sorted out!!

verte76 said:
Oh, the idea doesn't suck! It's cool! The hard part would be getting an autographed pic of Bono, and then there are all sorts of legal issues with fundraisers. I work with a charity that's all U2 fans and we raise $$ for wells in Africa! We do a Bono fund-raiser every year for his birthday, and............well click on the African Well Fund URL in my sig and check it out! Plus we already have all the legal stuff sorted out!!

Thanks for that! I have visited your site before but I'm always wary of donating online using my (or more to the point, my hubby's!) credit card, but I'm always up for a good cause so I will find out how to download the form and mail one off.:hug:

It's a good idea and your heart is in the right place, but I doubt Bono would allow himself to be 'sold' in that way. I think he would feel kind of cheap and used doing things like that. He's going about his charities the way he wants to, so let's give him our support!

It is a good idea and glad you thinking of thinks such as that.. Bono is though careful how he spends his as he calls it celebrity currency.. I could ask the folks at DATA but I am sure they would just repeat that .. he doesn't really put things like that up and available .. his means is more advocacy and education...

Although something like his artwork .. that took Gavin Friday getting him on that.. He would though apprecaite something like donating money to the childrens orphanages across Africa.. and I know he appreciates the work of the folks at the Africa Well Fund!!

Last edited:
Leeloo said:
It's a good idea and your heart is in the right place, but I doubt Bono would allow himself to be 'sold' in that way. I think he would feel kind of cheap and used doing things like that. He's going about his charities the way he wants to, so let's give him our support!

Right. He doesn't exactly want to sell his autograph. Support DATA, Oxfam, whatever, he co-founded DATA and supports Oxfam, and loves it when we support these and other causes.

If you want to get involved , DATA is always looking for sincere folks to step up and create grass roots moments or even just write a letter to your senator tell them what you think.. spread the word.. it does not have to be a big thing.. sometimes the little things matter most

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I hope I didnt come across as being someone who only gives to receive something, coz that is totally not me. At the moment I sponser a World Vision child and although I had been thinking about it for a longtime it was definitely Bono's inspiration that pushed me to actually do something about it. Africa has a strong pull for me so that will be my next "project". Thanks Bono for bringing me into your world.

ME2U2 said:
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I hope I didnt come across as being someone who only gives to receive something, coz that is totally not me. At the moment I sponser a World Vision child and although I had been thinking about it for a longtime it was definitely Bono's inspiration that pushed me to actually do something about it. Africa has a strong pull for me so that will be my next "project". Thanks Bono for bringing me into your world.

That's very cool. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom