A Christmas Carol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack In The Box

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I wrote this Fan Fic one year ago in these dates, it's a free adaptation :rolleyes:, to translate it was difficult so I hope that it's understandable (my english is very poor)

and enjoy it, of course :)

A Christmas Carol

Night of peace ? night of love ? was Christmas Eve, a touch of love was covering to the whole world, four persons couldn't pass this so important date with their families for work, but they would be together, like friends. Were lodged in a hotel of the chaotic city of New York, they went down to Hotel lobby to celebrate, Larry was serious, like always, wasn't of humor, so in a second got angry for a triviality.

Larry: Better I go away to my room? with you I cannot!
Adam: Uuuuh... what bad humor
Larry: Bah!
Bono: Calm?
Larry: Bah! again
The Edge: If you are going to be like that? good-bye?
Larry: See?, I go away... Merry Christmas...

Larry rose to his room, very troublesome, shut in himself and wasn't thinking to go out of there until the following day, maybe was acting this way because couldn't be with his family, anyhow, not justifying his attitude.

The Edge: Always is the same thing with Larry?
Adam: And we are those that support him?
Bono: Enough? leave him, probably to the moment goes out ?
The Edge: yes? we have to enjoy this Christmas Eve
Bono: It is?

While, Larry had a little rest in the bed, closed his eyes, seemed to be slept, felt that someone touched his shoulder, rolled over and there had nobody, saw was doing front and someone was with a white tunic, was tall and thin someone, very, very thin, the face was covered with the shade that was giving for the hood of the same tunic.

Larry: Who? who? who are you?
Ghost: Guess
Larry: I don't know, how did you enter to my room?
Ghost: I get it because I'm not a human being, I'm a Ghost ?
Larry: Ghost? Ah! I know already? this is a joke ?
Ghost: Not, isn't a joke ?
Larry: then? of course that is a joke ?
Ghost: Not ?
Larry: Demonstrate It ?
Ghost: It is demonstrated already, I could enter ?
Larry: I'm dreaming? that's what happens?
Ghost: Think what you want? but there is time to show you the one who I'm?
Larry: Eh?
That strange person discovered his face, was Adam?

Larry: Adam?
Adam: Only his shape, I'm the Ghost of the Christmas Past?
Larry: What a weird dream?
Adam: Give Me the hand, is time to show you?
Larry: (while he was giving his hand to Adam) Show me? What?

Adam took Larry of the hand and guide him to the wall, they crossed the wall and were in a green valley

Larry: This is Ireland! This is the place where I grew up!
Adam: do you know the way?
Larry: Sure! I can travel it with closed eyes!

Adam with his hand covered Larry's eyes and at once uncovered them, placed another scene opposite to him, was the Larry of the young U2, who was in an old truck with Bono, Adam and The Edge, the four of approximately 20 years old, were crossing England to start knowing themselves?

Larry: I remember it, was my first Christmas out of home?
Adam: Yes, but see your face and of the others
Larry: what?
Adam: Just see...

Larry saw himself, was serious, with the arms crossed and bored, later, saw the others, in spite of the fact that they weren't in home were happy, the three had a beer and laughing.

Larry: I'm the only one that doesn't laugh ?
Adam: Always you were like that?
Larry: They amuse themselves, but I not?
Adam: Is the moment to go away?
Larry: not! Wait!

The Ghost left him, Larry shouted, but he didn't listen to him.

Larry: at least take me to where I was!

He sat down and closed his eyes, for the following moment opened them and was sat in the bed of the hotel.

Larry: Was just a dream? sure, just it...
Ghost: No?
Larry: Eh?!
Ghost: Come on...

The new Ghost was not differing of between the darkness, Larry was approaching and in this moment the Ghost showed his face igniting a torch, was The Edge that had a normal aspect, as The Edge that Larry knows.

Larry: Edge?
The Edge: Only his shape, I'm the Ghost of the Christmas Present
Larry: again?
The Edge: Put your hand in my back
Larry: (while he was putting his hand in The Edge's back) to where are you going to take me?

Larry was saying it when he and The Edge disappeared, fading away as the wind and they reappeared in the lobby where Bono, The Edge (the real one) and Adam were passing Christmas Eve, they seemed to be happy, Larry listened to the conversation of his friends.

Adam: Of what Larry gets lost ?
The Edge: Yes, sure? for you Christmas is equal to liquor?
Adam: That say it to Bono?
Bono: Don't be cruel with me ?
The Edge: Larry gets lost many things for his character?
Adam: Yes, thinks that because he isn't here we are going to be sad ?
Bono: Boys, stop? leave Larry already?
The Edge: Don't defend him?
Bono: I don't defend him? only I say that is bad to speak about someone if this someone is not here?
Adam: nothing! You are defending him?
Bono: Call it what you want, but leave Larry alone already?

Larry saw that his friends were amusing themselves in spite of the fact that U2 was incomplete.

The Edge: do you see? You are not the center of the universe, are not indispensable ?
Larry: this is it the image that they have of me?
The Edge: Something like that, is the image of the bad-tempered Larry that you were today when you left them?
Larry: God! What I have done?
The Edge: do you realize? They love you, yes, but they have right to be happy without you ?
Larry: I thought ?
The Edge: what did you think? What without you they wouldn?t enjoy Christmas?
Larry: Exact ?
The Edge: Come? will show you another side of the world ?

Larry returned to put his hand in The Edge's back and they returned to go? arrived to Ireland, just out of Larry's house.

Larry: is my house!
The Edge: Yes?
Larry: my family is there!
The Edge: Yes, without you?

Larry walked and saw through the window to his family, they were celebrating Christmas Eve without him, his girlfriend was saying to his children that in spite of the fact that dad was not this Christmas with them they had to spend the better thing that they could, in the faces of the kids saw a bit of disappointment.

Larry: They are sad?
The Edge: they need You?
Larry: didn't know?
The Edge: But they understand that is your job? love you? and you too, of course, but almost you don't demonstrate it? already did you call to them for telephone this Christmas?
Larry: Not? but?
The Edge: you see?? have to learn to express more yourself, your annoyance of today made to you close yourself and forget all, including your family? badly, very badly?
Larry: Bu? but ?
The Edge: is time to go?
Larry: not! return me to New York!

The Edge went away and Larry put his hand in his eyes like being sorry about something, the look got uncovered and was in his hotel room, in the middle of the room with the bent head, raise the face and opposite to he was the last one of the Ghosts.

Larry: I guess! You are the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come?
Ghost: ?
Larry: answer!

The last Ghost was dressed black, a black gabardine, black pants and shoes and a black cap that was covering with shades his face, his hair that scarcely was differing between so much black color was of white color, but the position of this person was not looking like it of an elder, rather that of a mature man. The Ghost only indicated the front and began to walk to the darkest part of the room, Larry, fearful, followed him, they entered in that darkness and seemed to be endless, suddenly they were situated in the center of New York, in Central Park, Larry saw with surprise his three friends, with more years above, chatting.

Adam: Always I thought that I was going to be the first one in dying?
The Edge: To die in Christmas? last night, that sad ?
Bono: we are going to miss him?
Adam: We yes were saying all that we loved him? rather, we love him?
The Edge: And he not ?

Larry didn't know about what they were speaking, the mysterious Ghost took hold of his shoulder and turn him, was not Central Park, was Ireland again, Larry saw his house, there was a sad environment and returned to see through the window, his children were a few young boys, his girlfriend and his children were dressing black, she was crying and her son was touching the shoulder of his mother.

Larry: what?! I have died!
Larry: I died ? right?

The Ghost returned to hold Larry's arm and gave to him a turn, they were in a hill with many tablets, was a cemetery? Larry ran and the Ghost serenely walked after him, in the highest of the hill there was a simple tablet that had a simple inscription, the Ghost indicated the tablet indicating him that should read, was saying " Lawrence Joseph Mullen Jr. "

Larry: is my tomb!

The Ghost indicated him that was continuing reading, had one more inscription " Our friend who always will live with us and will be remembered for his immense humanity that was expressing to his way " more down was saying " Fondly, Bono, The Edge and Adam "

Larry: Oh, God! Everything what I do and even this way they love me so much like always was ?
Larry: enough of all of this! I want to return!

He said that and suddenly the Ghost was not with him, turned 180 degrees and was again in his room of hotel, the first thing that saw was to three Ghosts, Adam with his white tunic, The Edge so common with the torch and the mysterious Ghost who took off the cap and his face finally could be seen, was Bono, equally to the Bono of today but with white hair.

Larry: Now I understand? you (indicating Adam) are my confused and strange past, you (indicating The Edge) are my calm present and you (indicating Bono) are my dark future ? I know what I have to do, don?t know if it was a dream, but you served me a lot?

Larry went out, was the dawn of Christmas, his friends continued celebrating.

Bono: Larry!
The Edge: Great! you came with us!
Adam: what did make you change?
Larry: Let's say that you helped me ?

Bono, The Edge and Adam laughed, and a very strange thing happened, Larry also laughed, the four gave to themselves the Christmas hug and wished the best thing. While, the three Ghosts that had visited Larry this Christmas Eve talked?

Bono: dark future? Rather I'm his firm future, the white hair represents maturity ? wisdom, which today we teach him ?
Adam: He called me strange? anyway...
The Edge: He called me calmly ? it's ok?.
Bono: I believe that we finished already ?
Adam: he will learn to express his feelings more ?
The Edge: And not getting angry with so many facility?

tHE eND

* Based on ?A Christmas Carol? by Charles Dickens

Back
Top Bottom