1988 Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
We are in the process of moving, so I've been packing and while doing so I came across my old VHS copy of the 1988 Grammy Awards. I popped it in for a look and besides being very amused by all the awful 80's fashions and hairdos, I noticed something else-U2 is one of the few people from the show that continues to be successful. It was really interesting to see how all these artists that were so popular back then, many of them are'nt even making music anymore-or if they are-no one is buying it. Yet U2 is still thriving. Some examples of fellow nominees: Jody Watley, The Georgia Satellites, Cutting Crew, Terence Trent Darby, The Breakfast Club. I think you get the point. I really believe U2 will go down in music history as being as big a band as the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

I have some cute pics of this but I can't find them right now. I remember watching that live, and thanks to a friend I have a copy of it :hug: They looked great and their comments were cute too.

I don't think the 80's fashions were bad. As a matter of fact I prefer them to many of the current ones. Let's see, long hair as opposed to skinheads and greasy spikes, tight pants as opposed to saggy asses, no, I'll take the 80's:love: Though I must admit I am excited fashions are changing for the better once again, I'm ecstatic to see more hair and tight pants on some of the new bands. Really I can't image anything being worse than the rock rap look like Linkin Park or Limp Biskit. Now THAT is going to be soooo made fun of years later if not sooner :laugh:

Yes it is also interesting how many bands fell by the wayside while U2 lives on. They are truly great and special.

agram.jpg

While I love the sexy confident and down&dirty bods & attitude of later years :combust:, JT is sexy & cuddly in its own way. :cute:

That was a funny Grammy show- here are some pics! :wave:

atthegrammies.jpg

and a gorgeous pic just for fun :sexywink:
eqbonola2.jpg

Ooh I have the whole body pic of that somewhere but not that big! Thanks!

Btw Olive when I was dissing the 90's look on bands I was talking about the guys in rock rap and rap metal bands with all the peircings and stuff and underwear showing. Kristen brought up the general crowd, so I did too. Didn't mean to start a U2 era thing :no: :uhoh:

U2Kitten said:
Ooh I have the whole body pic of that somewhere but not that big! Thanks!

Btw Olive when I was dissing the 90's look on bands I was talking about the guys in rock rap and rap metal bands with all the peircings and stuff and underwear showing. Kristen brought up the general crowd, so I did too. Didn't mean to start a U2 era thing :no: :uhoh:

:) You're welcome! I just set it as my wallpaper :shifty:

:hug: Oh I know! We've all been there & done that loll. :heart: I think you're dead on about the piercings and stuff :uhoh: And I think we can ALL agree that we're thankful u2 never got into that! :yikes: :crazy: :lol:

Holy smokes, I forgot some of these people. Oh, yeah, 1988. It's amazing that U2 are still around, and still so popular. I know why I've been a fan for twenty years!:drool: :drool: :evil: :censored: :heart: :combust:

U2Kitten said:
Yes it is also interesting how many bands fell by the wayside while U2 lives on. They are truly great and special.

agram.jpg

Edge's expression :lmao:

((Olive)) :)

I made a huge Bono pic from that mag cover and an avatar too. I'll post them after I upload them later. Thanks again for the pic! :happy:

Wow...those are some great pictures...:drool:...

Heh, I was, what, three going on four, when the Grammys took place that year.

But that's very true-they're still popular, they're still making great music. They're definitely going to be remembered for years and years to come. When it finally comes time for them to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they'll have earned it.

Besides, they're obviously still doing something right if they can continue to grab new fans like myself. :).

Angela

<---20 years too! U2, the band of long time fans and new fans with excellent taste! :up: :yes:

I have fond memories of watching this Grammy show! When U2 won for album of the year with JT, I went absolutly crazy!! jumping / screaming / dancing :dance: :dance: :applaud:

The phone rang right at that moment and I thought it was my best friend calling to share in my excitement, so I picked up the phone screaming. ...... It wasn't my friend calling. :crack:

My family in the room and the person on the phone were quite disturbed by my reaction to U2 winning that grammy. :eek:

I missed the actual show studying for exams.:reject: I was happy as heck to get the news that they'd won. I still wish I'd seen that show. :mad: :censored: :censored:

EPandAmerica said:
My family in the room and the person on the phone were quite disturbed by my reaction to U2 winning that grammy. :eek:

:lol:...that reminds me of this site I was on one time, and there was one of those "Ways to Tell You're Obsessed with U2" lists, and one of them was something like, "You're so excited when U2 wins an award that you call up everyone, including some telemarketer that called you once and had no idea what the hell you were talking about". :D.

I don't blame you, though, I'd probably be psyched as well. I remember, when U2 won their Golden Globe award earlier this year, I shouted, "WOOHOO!" and my sister jumped and just looked at me strangely. :p.

Angela

i have bad luck with watching U2 on the grammies. I started my fanatisism about a year or two ago, but missed the elevation tour when it was three hours away from me(grrrr...) and even though i watched the last grammy awards when they performed and won, but i had no clue who the hell they were. as for the 1988 grammy awards..well, i was two years old and michael jackson was my whole musical world, so can't say i watched them that time:p
HOWEVER
i did tape them on the oscars....and i plan to tape the next grammy awards show they're at(and they WILL win...) to kind of make up for missing the other ones...*sigh*it's not really the same, though :sad:

WildeIrish796 said:
i have bad luck with watching U2 on the grammies. I started my fanatisism about a year or two ago, but missed the elevation tour when it was three hours away from me(grrrr...) and even though i watched the last grammy awards when they performed and won, but i had no clue who the hell they were. as for the 1988 grammy awards..well, i was two years old and michael jackson was my whole musical world, so can't say i watched them that time:p
HOWEVER
i did tape them on the oscars....and i plan to tape the next grammy awards show they're at(and they WILL win...) to kind of make up for missing the other ones...*sigh*it's not really the same, though :sad:

I have bad luck catching them, too. The last time they were on, I wanted to watch, but I had to write a :censored: English paper and I missed it. I think I saw them the time before that, but I wasn't much of a fan then.

I did have one lucky moment... when they performed on the Oscars last time, I turned on the tv literally just as they were being introduced. :D

Back
Top Bottom