Worst single show on the 2005 tour???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
There's already a best thread, now let's discuss the "flat" shows.

My vote is for Seattle 1, further exagerrated by the fact they made up for it with the infamous Seattle 2. S1 was still way better than the Popmart show I saw.

BTW, all "they never have a bad night" posts are not welcome in this thread. I want this thread to be an open discussion and an education for future hardcore fans.

u2fp

Last edited:
I have too hard a time being objective about the shows. Seattle 1 might not have been nearly as good as Seattle 2, but I was two heads back from the rail for my first U2 show since 1997, so I was over the moon.

I'd go maybe with Vancouver 2, if only because I had kind of a blah time at it, and there was nothing really special about the show. Because I haven't heard all the shows, I can only really go with my personal experiences/feelings about the shows I was at.

What are you criteria for a "flat" show? What makes you pick Seattle 1?

S1 was my first time seeing a show on the tour and I know that had a higher ceiling that that. I also talked to a fan before the 2nd show, who had seen all shows on the tour, and he said it was kinda weak.

Another factor was of all the shows I attended(6) was that this show people were sitting down the most.

The most surreal thing about the show was very early in the show there was about 6 giant beach ball floating around the arena. The u2 crew ran around and popped all of them within half a song.

That said, it was also the only time I saw the LAPOE opening and one or two of the BOY era songs.

u2fp

I agree with Seattle 1 (only because I wasn't there).

Of the shows I atteneded (10 in all this tour), the one I enjoyed the least was Nov 22 at MSG when they ended with Instant Karma and left the stage.

First, I thought went I heard it the night before that it would be a treat and when they played it the next ngiht, well it did take away from it for me. And not ending with a U2 song and a cover felt wrong to me.

Probably a great show if that's the only one you saw, but compared to the others, the last MSG show felt FLAT.

Chicago night 1 - May 7 in the Spring. Worst of the 18 I went to definitely. Long gaps between songs, tech problems... Second worst was Philly night 1 in the Spring Sat May 14 I think. It was one of the shows I wanted to be blown away ... it ws a Saturday night in Philly... and they were flat.

The first Chicago show in May...can't remember the date--was definitely sub-par. Bono wasn't feeling well and the whole performance was pretty wooden. They made up for the following Thursday, when UTEOTW was debuted for this tour :up:

i enjoyed all the shows i went to but boston 5/24 seemed to be lacking. maybe the woman in the section next to me puking over the railing into the exit tunnel and having to be carted off via stretched/EMTs had something to do with that though.

^oh my :yikes:

there was this drunk lady near us right in front of the railing, i was seriously worried she was gonna take a fall all the way from up in good ol section 304.

as far as the topic of the thread...i only saw one show and it was pretty much the best night of my life, so i can't comment.

i don't know there is an irrational hatred of Philly by U2, in as much as we receive the same setlist repeatedly, and some of the shortest....

however we did get fast cars.

which was AWESOME.

mikal said:
i still don't get it.

i thought Chicago on 5/7 was a great, fun show!

Chicago 5/7 had Bad, and one of the best versions of Bad I've ever heard at that. And the rest of the show was good too, the only song that seemed really subpar to me was Vertigo because Bono sang it offbeat. Everything else was great, especially the Zoo encore :rockon:

what about the MSG show where patti smith got messed up or whatever and the show cut short?...MSG show in May was energetic but nothing compared to the rainy run in October

ruffian said:
The first Chicago show in May...can't remember the date--was definitely sub-par. Bono wasn't feeling well and the whole performance was pretty wooden. They made up for the following Thursday, when UTEOTW was debuted for this tour :up:

That was the only show I got to go to, unfortunately. I could definitely tell it was an off night for them (the worst ever version of Vertigo had to have been at that show!) Still, I enjoyed the concert immensely. But I can only imagine what seeing an above-average U2 show would be like! Maybe next tour...

What's remarkable is that Bono kept his voice at a very high consistency for close to the full length of every show on the tour.

Save for ZOOTV, is that a first for the group inthe past 20 years?

u2fp

I will also put my vote in for 5-7-05 Chicago. Wasnt an awful show, but by U2 standards it was subpar. Bad was the only highlight of that show IMO. They were just FLAT otherwise and making too many mistakes. Taking that week off prior to it and not doing anything showed. It was really the only weak show I saw on this tour.

Out of all the Boston shows I saw, May 24th (the first boston show) was the "worst" I actually left somewhat disapointed because something just did not feel right about the show. It may have been the horrible sound for the first half of the show that did that.

But it was the only show out of seven in Boston this tour that got Zoo Station, so it gets some extra points for that :)

pepokiss said:
maybe some European shows... all the same...

sigh....set-lists are not the be-all and end-all of a great show (or a bad show). If you attended only 1 or 2 on the tour I doubt it would even be noticed that it was the same as the previous night. The most important part of a show is a combination of band and audience, whether a show "goes off" is driven by that link. I have no idea what the worst show was - on reflection Brussels was quite weak. Compared to other Euro shows it just didn't seem to have a very vibrant atmosphere.

pepokiss said:
maybe some European shows... all the same...

haha! Europe got some of the best shows in my opinion. Whether you're referring to the setlist or the show itself you're wrong either way :wink:

Setlists are a very small component of a show when you are actually there, especially if its your first few shows or its a stadium. I doubt many people say "Oh no, Pride!" when 50 thousand other people are cheering. I'm no fan of that song, but live it is electric when the crowd get into it.

I doubt Hartford was the worst show of the tour, but I have to say that the audience (from my perspective) was louder and more into it than in Boston two days before, and the band completely didn't react to it as they had in Boston. :shrug: Maybe they were tired?

ruffian said:

:yes:

even the band admits it was a bad night

but the version of Bad on 5/7 was really beautiful- still the 5/12 show was just amazing

thelaj said:
Setlists are a very small component of a show when you are actually there, especially if its your first few shows or its a stadium. I doubt many people say "Oh no, Pride!" when 50 thousand other people are cheering. I'm no fan of that song, but live it is electric when the crowd get into it.

Well said.

I really thought the 5/7 Chicago show was great. Until I saw my next shows, 10/22 and 10/25. Pittsburgh and Detroit. Both of these shows were wildly better than the show I saw on 5/7. It wasn't a bad show, but not good by U2's standards.

The worst U2 show I was ever at was 10/10/01 in South bend, Indiana. I really did not have a good time at that show at all.

I didn't go to Hartford but I heard from a friend who did, he also saw two LA shows, that it wasn't so hot...that B's voice was very raspy following the Boston gigs...:shrug: anyone else on Hartford???

The last 2 shows in Nov. at MSG.
The 1st show was way too loud....
And the second show with the Patti Smith crap at the end.

2 out of 16......not bad

Back
Top Bottom