Worse debacle: The 05 presale vs The Boston Handpicking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a tough one......it's REALLY shallow to judge people on their looks and letting the "pretty faces" in first. I'd give it to the Boston debacle by a nose.

U2 is not responsible for either of these debacles. Should they have stopped it? Sure, could they have? Maybe. I don't know I think everyone is making U2 into this big bad person, when I think the big bad people are TicketMaster and whoever filmed the Boston show. I don't think that the U2 people were handpicking people.

well someone in U2's tour production didn't allot enough tickets for the fan club members to buy, and combining that with the fact TM didn't work at all = major blunder! And someone in U2's organization picked who was up at the stage for that NBA thing, I remember reading all that on here.

They aren't perfect, they have feet of clay, like all the rest of us.

Last edited:
cudar said:
U2 is not responsible for either of these debacles. Should they have stopped it? Sure, could they have? Maybe. I don't know I think everyone is making U2 into this big bad person, when I think the big bad people are TicketMaster and whoever filmed the Boston show. I don't think that the U2 people were handpicking people.

U2 is responsible. They put their name on it. End of story, if you ask me.

cudar said:

Of course they're responsible. Your argument is akin to saying it's not Bush's fault soldiers are getting killed in Iraq. U2 are the ones who aligned themselves with these incompetent morons on both debacles. U2 chose FanFuck and Ticketbastard to handle their ticketing and fan club. U2 is probably paying both corporations for their "work". They are responsible because its them who these corporations are representing.

The pre-sale has affected the world wide core of U2 fans who paid thinking they were going to have a better shot than the cattle on Saturday at getting tickets.

The Boston thing was a relatively small incident in comparison but both have negative effects on the fans view of the band.

I'd be willing to bet there are some people who stopped caring about U2 after the Boston incident and some who stopped caring because of yesterday.

I am in neither of those boats but I would definitely like to see at the least something said acknowledging the entire problem yesterday and not just the European one.

starsgoblue said:
The announcement before the presale did say that only 10% of each venue's tickets would be offered....:|

U2.com and Fanfuck had no problem with signing up 90,000 people beforehand.

The announcement said that U2.com fans would qualify for the best seats in the house.

Three f*ing miles back for $165 doesn't qualify as the best seats in anyone's house.

And as far as I'm concerned, to get back on topic, the presale takes the cake. At least in Boston no one's tickets were being taken away from them and put into the hands of scalpers.

stu_67 said:
what was the boston handpicking?

The night of the filming of the Elevation DVD, security came out and handpicked a bunch of people out of the line to go in before many of the people that had been on line for hours and hours waiting to get in.

They picked the pretty people for the cameras.

it didn't say only 10% would be offered. The 10% referred to the reduction of ticketmonster's fees, only 10% would get that reduced. All the u2.con announcements said not a thing about only 10% of the tickets would be offered to fan club members. They had gleefully happy announcements on U2.con telling people to join up until Tues to get these great tickets. They're a fraud.

nathan1977 said:
The announcement said that U2.com fans would qualify for the best seats in the house.

Three f*ing miles back for $165 doesn't qualify as the best seats in anyone's house.

And as far as I'm concerned, to get back on topic, the presale takes the cake. At least in Boston no one's tickets were being taken away from them and put into the hands of scalpers.

You didn't have to buy those tickets. I got offered several shitty seats but kept searching...it all seemed totally random with what was offered when, maybe that was the problem.

And where is the original story or whatever on this Boston thing?

bonosleftone said:

The night of the filming of the Elevation DVD, security came out and handpicked a bunch of people out of the line to go in before many of the people that had been on line for hours and hours waiting to get in.

They picked the pretty people for the cameras.

And its a good thing they did. When buying my U2 concert DVD, I expect only pretty people/ hot girls to be on film. I feel entitled to that considering I'm spending my hard earned cash on a U2 DVD.

Flying FuManchu said:

And its a good thing they did. When buying my U2 concert DVD, I expect only pretty people/ hot girls to be on film. I feel entitled to that considering I'm spending my hard earned cash on a U2 DVD.

The fatties can burn.

I was part of the Boston crowd who waited all day to be passed over by the hand picked lines. There were many issues that day - the sudden banning of all signs, flags, etc. In the end, the presale was worse because it signaled the end of the preferred relationship with the band through Propaganda. No problem for passing over us this time - we won't be in the heart because we won't have GAs.

GO PATS!!!!

Last edited:
Boston. U2 and their management knew what they were doing then. This ticket debacle was mostly the fault of Ticketmaster. Boston was just shameless.

cudar said:

"Big bad people" - U2 is nothing without the band. U2 inc would not exist if Bono said he wasn't going to do something - that's where the buck stops - don't blame Ticketmaster, or some faceless official - U2 are four guys - they have the power to say enough is enough - but they won't.

Well I got in the Metallica DVD extras of Some Kind of Monster and Foo Fighters Everything But Home and was never handpicked. Maybe U2 should be managed better or fix the problem, by going back to their old system but with a lottery for presale tickets.

Screwing up this pre-sale is definitely without a doubt worse then the Boston incident. This whole pre-sale issue should have never happened and as many of us know other bands have been able to conduct pre-sales without any issues like this.

With that said I must thank everyone for all the compliments that I have received over the years on this board and others for being called pretty since the whole second Boston show. I was one of the ones picked to go in early for that show and do not regret being a part of it. With that being my fourth show in 5 days I can say without a doubt I was not in a "pretty" condition. What I was though was observant and saw people being pulled out of line. I wasn't sure why but that didn't stop me from paying attention to what was going on around me and quickly letting the reps pulling people out of line know that I had been hanging out with the girls they had just picked all day so they had my wife and I go in with the rest of the people that got picked to go in early.

Hopefully for this tour rather then making people camp out for GA admission all day the arena folks go with a random draw to line people up at a designated time like they did during Springsteens last tour.

Here's hoping to a fixed ticket system for the 3rd leg ticket sale since I like everyone else was shut out during the first round of pre-sales.

u2gator

I give it to Boston by a mile, that was just calculated evil as opposed to this fiasco.

Question: Had they learnt their lesson by the time the Slaine concert was filmed? ie: was the crowd at Slaine picked in the same way or not?

RA-D said:
Question: Had they learnt their lesson by the time the Slaine concert was filmed? ie: was the crowd at Slaine picked in the same way or not?

I think that for the European tour there wasn't this same bunch of people being at the front and yawning at the show at every concert.
The Irish are really enthusiastic when it comes to U2, I think.

Back
Top Bottom