Willie Williams - latest journal entry 3.15.06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nurse chrissi

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
on a whim I checked the tour sections and found a new journal entry - Once again I completely :heart: Willie

Sydney

I was planning on resurrecting the tour diary today, being the day we were scheduled to fly to Auckland for the load-in tomorrow. However, it’s now old news that the remainder of the tour dates have been postponed, so I’m not going anywhere further than the corner cafe. It’s been a very weird week indeed - much akin to driving into a wall. Regular readers will understand the colossal amount of kinetic energy acquired by a tour of this scale, and so perhaps be able to appreciate the magnitude of the explosion when it stops dead with no warning.

I’ve found myself in quite an odd emotional state since then. It’s felt like bereavement, exacerbated enormously by the tour party being scattered for the break at the time of the announcement. I was just going to lunch with a friend in Sydney when the text message came through. Others actually heard it on the radio or were phoned my friends who’d heard a rumour. I was completely spun out for quite a few days, and still am, to some degree. We’ve experienced cancelations before; when a case of laryngitis has brought a tour to its knees or perhaps most spectacularly when Bill Berry had a brain haemorrhage on stage during an R.E.M. show. That was about as shocking as it gets, but at least we, the tour personnel, were together as a group before, during and after the event. Hopelessly codependent as it sounds, having to cope with the shock of a tour vanishing is immeasurably harder when faced in isolation. I’ve really felt for the people who went home for the break, to just get a call saying ‘Don’t come back…’

I saw Bono on Monday which made me feel a lot better. We came to Sydney on the same flight from Buenos Aires and he’s been here ever since. He was due to head out on Tuesday, so had a bit of a do at his rented waterside mansion on Monday night. I arrived early so we had about half an hour to catch up before other guests began to arrive. We were laughing at each other - “...look at us...men without a tour…” - but I was very glad to get all the news and see that there was clearly never a moment when the band considered just cancelling and bailing. They have also been very concerned and generous about the arrangements with all the tour staff. Under the circumstances they’ve really handled the situation admirably, which makes a man feel good.

It’s really been very strange and I’m intrigued to find myself overwhelmed by a rather uncharacteristic desire to just go home. Here I am in one of my favourite spots on the earth’s crust, the weather’s beautiful and I’ve got all the time in the world. I should be making holiday plans but all I can think of is getting home to London where, I’m reliably informed, it’s freezing. I had arranged to make a couple more trips out of Sydney this week, to see friends down the coast and in the mountains, but I just can’t face going anywhere. I even cancelled a plan to go home via San Francisco, which is out of character in the extreme. I’m prepared for the fact that I might enter a world of regret about my early departure from Australia when I’m back in the cold, grey reality of London, but at a moment like this it’s probably best to go with my instincts.

Till November, then...

:yes:
Thanks so much, Chrissi. That was really interesting to read, and really gives a look into the inner-workings of the tour. I hadn't even thought about the effect of the postponement on the crew, was more focused on the band and of course the fans who had to change their plans. Never thought about the crew, like Willie said, were home for the break and then got told just don't come back until November.

I'm so glad Willie came back to the tour after his sudden departure, and so glad to know he'll be there when the tour picks up again in Nov. And doesn't that sound like forever from now, November? What will we do to keep busy in the meantime?? :ohmy:

Thanks for posting that! I'm not a U2.com subscriber, so I've been missing out on reading Willie's diary. It sure is an interesting read.

Thanks again! :)

nurse chrissi said:
I was very glad to get all the news and see that there was clearly never a moment when the band considered just cancelling and bailing.
This would seem to validate the case some posters have made that family matters, no matter how grave, are unlikely to lead U2 to completely sweep all professional commitments whatsoever aside, given the enormous impact on so many others that would entail. That shows an awful lot of respect for all the sacrifices made by, and best interests of, their employees and maybe even their fans.

Re: Re: Willie Williams - latest journal entry 3.15.06

yolland said:

This would seem to validate the case some posters have made that family matters, no matter how grave, are unlikely to lead U2 to completely sweep all professional commitments whatsoever aside, given the enormous impact on so many others that would entail. That shows an awful lot of respect for all the sacrifices made by, and best interests of, their employees and maybe even their fans.

I agree. I also took it to perhaps mean that the family member isn't and wasn't on the verge of death, that the prognosis must be pretty positive, which is of course a relief.

Thanks chrissie.

Sounds as though it was a really last minute decision. Quite positive in a way though. WW sounds like a down to Earth person. I like the way he expresses his feelings in his diary entries. What a big impact this postponement has had on so many people.

Thanks Chrissie. The tea leaves left by the posting are interesting: it sounds like it was a snap decision, everyone was as shocked as the fans were and they are real professionals.

Willie's comment about wanting to go home makes me think of Walk On... I total understand the urge to want to just get under the covers.

Back
Top Bottom