Will they play a bit longer at MSG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
I received a pre-show email from TM today and it basically gave the run down of the evening at MSG, etc. and said that the band would end their show at approximately 11:15pm, which seems about 15 minutes later than past shows. I know thus far they usually go past what is typically a standard 11pm curfew, but perhaps they'll go past the 11:15 curfew and end around 11:30? Hopefully we'll get an extra song or two...

Just throwing this out there for some opinions...

Well that's why they said "approximately". They're just trying to give a round about time as to when the show might end, helps people plan their evening out in case they have to be home at a certain time. I wouldn't pay much attention to it, U2 will mostly dictate the time the show ends.

And I CAN'T WAIT for Friday!!!!!

u2wedge said:
I received a pre-show email from TM today and it basically gave the run down of the evening at MSG, etc. and said that the band would end their show at approximately 11:15pm, which seems about 15 minutes later than past shows. I know thus far they usually go past what is typically a standard 11pm curfew, but perhaps they'll go past the 11:15 curfew and end around 11:30? Hopefully we'll get an extra song or two...

Just throwing this out there for some opinions...

MSG probably has the band start time as 9:15 and are figuring on the average 2 hr. show; however it will probably be closer to 9:30 before U2 comes on and they will most likely go past two hours...

MSG's curfew is midnight, I believe, so they have plenty of time to play with... ;)

Re: Re: Will they play a bit longer at MSG?

Pop Artist said:

MSG probably has the band start time as 9:15 and are figuring on the average 2 hr. show; however it will probably be closer to 9:30 before U2 comes on and they will most likely go past two hours...

MSG's curfew is midnight, I believe, so they have plenty of time to play with... ;)

Shows have gone past midnight at MSG. I've seen four Phish shows go past midnight at MSG. Granted three of them were New Year's Eve shows, but it does happen. :)

I wouldn't expect U2 to go past midnight though. ;)

an interesting note.....

I saw a photo of the setlist for Tuesday and the intended encore was

First time
Stuck
WOWY
All because of you
Original
Bad

I think that they just went to 40 after ABOY because of the stupid 11pm curfew that Boston has.

Bono is great and all, but if I was at a show and his long, wandering speeches forced them to play 40 because of time issues instead of Original and Bad to close the show, then I would be a bit annoyed.

Yeah I read in a review that Bono wouldn't stop talking, then I saw they had to cut Original and Bad due to time issues...

I'd rather hear songs than Bono talking, but that's just me...

i counted 23 there :huh:

22 if you count an cat dubh/into the heart as 1 song

Swan269 said:
an interesting note.....

I saw a photo of the setlist for Tuesday and the intended encore was

First time
Stuck
WOWY
All because of you
Original
Bad

I think that they just went to 40 after ABOY because of the stupid 11pm curfew that Boston has.

yeah, i can confirm this as my friend and i ended up w/the band's copies of the setlist. at 11:10 they ditched OOTS & Bad and wrapped up with "40". major disappointment.... i wouldn't count on them running over with extra songs, etc... bono was very wordy last night--more so than usual, which i didn't know was possible.

Chizip said:
i counted 23 there :huh:

22 if you count an cat dubh/into the heart as 1 song

Well, Blogger's down so I can't recount my recap, but either way, it's still not a short setlist. Pretty standard length, with some variety to boot... It's not like they played 18 songs or something.

and for those not in attendance at MSG this weekend, there's a re-run of SNL featuring U2 on 10/8... check your local listings.

Oh, and before everyone crucifies Bono for his rambling cutting the show short in Boston, please remember the main set was one song longer than normal, with Crumbs being inserted but nothing removed.

anybody that counts The Cry as a full song is a little :coocoo:

Into the Heart is pushing it...

but still, that's about a standard setlist, so not really any shorter than normal

Axver said:
2005-05-21, NYC: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1285.html

The highest possible total you can get is 24, and that's counting The Cry/The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as four songs rather than two.

Okay, my bad was counting the Human Rights Video as a song in haste...

Here's how I counted them:

1- City of Blinding Lights
2- Vertigo // Rockaway Beach (snippet) // Stories for Boys (snippet)
3- Elevation
4- Electric Co. // Send in the Clowns (snippet) // I Can See for Miles (snippet)
5- An Cat Dubh
6- Into the Heart
7- Beautiful Day // Blackbird (snippet)
8- Miracle Drug
9- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10- Love and Peace or Else
11- Sunday Bloody Sunday
12- Bullet the Blue Sky // Johnny Come Marching Home (snippet) // Hands that Built America (snipppet) // Johnny Come Marching Home (snippet x2) // New York New York (snippet)
13- Running to Stand Still // Hallelujah (snippet)
Human Rights Thingy
14- Pride (in the name of love)
15- Where the Streets Have No Name
16- One

Encore 1:

17- Zoo Station
18- The Fly // The Jean Genie (snippet)
19- Mysterious Ways
20- Original of the Species

Encore 2:

21- All Because of You
22- Yahweh
23- Vertigo

( I see what I did, I counted the HR vid, and the New York snippet to get to 25.... my bad)

Now, keep in mind that at this show we had OOTS, MW, and quite a few snippets... so to say that it was less than a less than average show is inaccurate.

Last edited:
MW was average at the time. OOTS and Vertigo x2 were the show's surprises.

Axver said:
MW was average at the time. OOTS and Vertigo x2 were the show's surprises.
And Axver, are you sure about The Cry being played at MSG in May? I don't show it on either of my boot info files. It's not on u2tours.com either. It is on u2setlists.com... so any clarification you could provide would be appreciated.

My 1st leg boots are in storage so I'd listen to it if I had it handy.

And don't forget about Jean Genie for Bowie who was in the house that night.

And I guess my point is that U2 at MSG is going to rock no matter what. It's THE place to see 'em (other than Austrailia, right?:wink:) and you can't deny that!

Last edited:
The Cry may just be included in the Electric Co. file on the boot. You won't find The Cry listed on U2Tours.com for Boston III either, but it was definitely played - not only was I there, I have the audio file to prove it!

Unless I am grossly mistaken, The Cry was played before every performance of The Electric Co. on the first leg except the LA Rehearsal.

Axver said:
The Cry may just be included in the Electric Co. file on the boot. You won't find The Cry listed on U2Tours.com for Boston III either, but it was definitely played - not only was I there, I have the audio file to prove it!

Unless I am grossly mistaken, The Cry was played before every performance of The Electric Co. on the first leg except the LA Rehearsal.

Cool.

Now what happens this weekend if Bono somehow gets a piece of the Peace Prize? Do you think anything out of the ordinary might happen at the Garden?

Party Girl without a shadow of a doubt, you can bet on that one.

Otherwise? Not really sure, Bono would probably be quite excitable on stage, maybe another party-ish/celebratory number or two? Possibly Crumbs too in the name of the cause.

Back
Top Bottom