Will Bono finally show more maturity and self-control on the Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theoeiii said:
And I'll be ready and waiting if any of you nice young ladies lose yours!

(I'll be at MSG and Croke Park....)

Iam sure you would be LOL,but sorry Iam only losing myself to the man :angel:

Bono's human... and I agree with the earlier comments about how he keeps an eye on things in the crowds, I would be a little embarrassed if he singled me out in front of 20,000 people. And I would get mad too if I screwed up a song during a concert... then again I don't think I would react the way that he did towards Larry. So I think that these are isolated incidents, but yeah, he has gotten a little more agressive.

I'm on the list too, if he wants to get up close&personal with me!

:bono: :mac: :drool:

I was at the Minneaplis show and I saw the incident with the fan. I remember Bono climbing up the barricade and singing to the fans and it looked as if someone had grabbed him by the back of his hair and yanked on it. He did throw a punch and after he cooled off he was apologizing to the fan and finished singing Mysterious Ways to that particular section.

I think Bono showed restraint at the infamous laser pointer in eye incident (PopMart Mexico City 1997) - if somebody did that to me. . . oh man. . . i couldn't think of anything worse on stage. . .

Being on tour for six months+ is VERY hard and via comparisons to many other bands i've seen, U2 is able to show unbelievable restraint overall, including Bono. Its impossible when you're on tour and away from your loved ones not to lose it now and again. :)

I just wanted to take a moment to thank the thread starter (with whom I am not familiar as I tend to stay in PLEBA or Music threads) for giving me a hearty laugh.

I had forgotten about a lot of those incidents and would never take the time to actually look them up and put them all together chronologically. Well done!

It's tough being a deity and having to smite your worshippers when they get out of line... I mean, I just had to turn two guys into salt today alone! Breaks my heart every time...

:wink:

(imterrible)

Last edited:
Jick my man, at it again.

You always manage to rile up the n00bs who don't appreciate your humour. Well done, my friend. :applaud:

Humble understanding of Bono and Co Stage Presence

I have seen U2 in Boston 5X(very few Irish decendants havn't here)
Since 85 and the very first tour for me was Opening nite of the Joshua Tree Tour
Yes I heard the deafining fans screaming Bruce like levels (between songs for both Performers)
and Yes it was not only uttered in Chicago for the fans to "Please shut -up we are not the Beatles you know" the same line was stated that night in Worcester MA
hmm I listened to those early LIVE recordings of the Beatles and in my humble opinion whatever Greatness (bandwise) that was lost on the crowd was an indirect relationship to the Greatness that was added by the crowd in my opinion these things are not mutually exclusive I was there the crowd did make Bono's opening
of the Springhill Mining Disaster hard to understand but that is a fact of Live music and Sorry folks this is not John Williams and Yo Yo MA explaining the movements of a classical piece..... it's Live RocknRoll and I don't need complete silence and there is a way to get delivered from a rock crowd some quiet time
Ask Us .....

#1 They have gotten better especially if you take out the PopnFresh tour
#2 I was on the lip of the Heart stage in Providence and from that view all
was Peacefull with all bandmates
#3 I do beleive that when Bono and Co. sing from the heart they Deliver the Goods and those of us fortunate enough to get the message are really the noisiest ones So lookout it is time to go VERTIGO and Raise the ROOF!
See you there!

Last edited:
All the u2 concerts I have been to, I have never noticed anger in Bono at all towards the fans. it seems to me that the reason it is not as personal as it was before TJT is because the venues are so huge now. They don't play in little arena's anymore. i thought Bono was amazing during the Joshua Tree tour. i notice anger in the words and the passion that means so much to him. I can here it in his voice when he sings about politics, South America, Nothern Ireland and etc.....i also see a very vunerable side to him also.

I must admit I miss J's post over in the yahoo groups.....He is the "Master" of the shit stirers.... Classic stuff he posts and some of you don't get it....
Your reactions is his "Drug"
Don't feed the junkie...:drool:

I think the guy who posted this thread has a big need of attention.....

Controversy does get people on, and this boy needs it. He is not confortable in just comenting, he needs this feedback from the forum

Poor guy

Dream Chaser...ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!
"turned into salt"...Not to mention "the time when I saw that the 'real, honest fans' were not up front by the stage, I could tell that in 30 seconds after I walked onstage, and my precious GA had been turned from a Temple into a Den Of Thieves..so I had to grab a whip and lash all the greedy mammon worshipers out of there and back into the nosebleeds where they belong...*OOPS* that hasn't happend yet, but it will, I have forseen it".

You guys forget that BONO IS HUMAN. Playing live, while he has to be professional, is also a JOB. And unlike working in an office, a job where in the course of the performance you can, yes,, rleease whatever emotions you have built up inside you that day. Bono pours it all into his performance, but somedays, if someone in the crowd is doing something obnoxious and does not stop after you've politely asked him to, (and he does), you know you can't get security incolved becuase Jerry isn't there anymore to keep the gurds in line and you therefore don't know what the Shirts will do to the fans--get violent, rough them up, what?--you attempt to warm them yourself. It takes a lot to push him over the edge. Bono has also spoken of coming out in a crappy mood and the crowd just lifting him up. It must be a great thing, to know that you can be so open sometimes, to know the crowd is not hostile but prepared to be receptive.

Last edited:
Oh...and PS...sorry, all you dreaming Bono-philes, my heart is given only to The Edge.

And he NEVER loses his self-control.:( One can only stand and look up at him in rapture (as I did 3 yrs ago in NYC), and drool from afar this time, in the same venue...

Should I be ashamed for continuing to drool, Sian and all?

Um..onstage anyway......Aislinn and Morleigh obviously can say otherwise...

I have this great bootleg at home with a show from the UF tour, it was Edge's birthday (quick! Where was the Aug 8, 1985 show? Anybody got a copy of "Concert Documentary" on them?) Bono announced "the Mrs." coming onstage with a birthday cake, and I could tell by the crowd's reaction that she gave him quite a hearty smooch right then and there..would I would not have given to possess this on video...

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Oh...and PS...sorry, all you dreaming Bono-philes, my heart is given only to The Edge.

And he NEVER loses his self-control.:(

Except for the incident where he kicked his guitar at the end of Gone on 9 June 2001 in Boston.

quick! Where was the Aug 8, 1985 show? Anybody got a copy of "Concert Documentary" on them?

There was none. The tour began on 29 August 1984 in Christchurch, New Zealand, and the final leg of European festivals took place from 25 May to 13 July 1985. They did make an unannounced appearance at an Irish festival on 25 August 1985, though.

Back
Top Bottom