Why the Ellipse lottery sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OOTS said:

Wear the t-shirt and the ticket beeping personnel/random computer will make sure the screen reads 'proceed to the floor'.

Karma people.

Right. They really have time to read everyone's t-shirts.

Brains people.

joyfulgirl said:

Right. They really have time to read everyone's t-shirts.

Brains people.

Maybe I am missing something, but if "they" don't have time to read the T-shirt, than what's the point wearing it in the first place? Aren't "they" the ones we're trying to convey our message to? Surely, the band will not see the T-shirts during the concert.

MTEdge said:

Maybe I am missing something, but if "they" don't have time to read the T-shirt, than what's the point wearing it in the first place? Aren't "they" the ones we're trying to convey our message to? Surely, the band will not see the T-shirts during the concert.

I'm not promoting wearing the t-shirt, just commenting on the fact that anyone who has rushed through the frenetic wristband/scanning procedure knows that the staff aren't even looking at people's faces let alone what they're wearing.

The lottery sucks because it still drives so much Interference interaction -- everyday, you can count on some 'lottery' thread with like a gazillion posts floating to the top.

Yikes -- maybe the mods should start a new forum:

1. General Tour Discussion

2. GA and GA Lottery Forum

joyfulgirl said:

I'm not promoting wearing the t-shirt, just commenting on the fact that anyone who has rushed through the frenetic wristband/scanning procedure knows that the staff aren't even looking at people's faces let alone what they're wearing.

Gotcha! Also, you make a very good point.

MTEdge said:

Gotcha! Also, you make a very good point.

The band, however, might actually see the t-shirt especially if you're inside the ellipse up against the stage because they do take in people during the show. If you're standing right in front of Adam, for example, the whole show he will see you and probably read your t-shirt. But then they might wonder why you're bitching about the lottery when it obviously worked for you (at least that time). :wink:

While I'm not promoting wearing the t-shirt (or not) I think people should wear them if they want to. I mean, I guess I don't have an opinion on wearing it one way or the other except that it's not bad if you do.

Or something like that. :huh:

Again, joyfulgirl, you make a good point. I was only considering those T-shirt'ed fans outside the ellipse and whether the band would notice them. However, as you also noted, if the T-shirt'ed fans make into the ellipse, the effort to wear the T-shirt will have been severely blunted since the lottery worked for them.

joyfulgirl said:

The band, however, might actually see the t-shirt especially if you're inside the ellipse up against the stage because they do take in people during the show.

How about having the message on the back of the T-shirt, so if your luck is in & Bono pulls you up on stage for a dance, at least he can read it when you turn and walk back to your spot?

BWU2Buffs said:
The lottery sucks because it still drives so much Interference interaction -- everyday, you can count on some 'lottery' thread with like a gazillion posts floating to the top.

Yikes -- maybe the mods should start a new forum:

1. General Tour Discussion

2. GA and GA Lottery Forum

Or people could just not open all 2 threads on this page right now with "lottery" or "ellipse" in the titles. :hmm: :wink:

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

EXACTLY.

it was awesome to have slept in that parking lot, so excited, with a two-digit number written on my hand, fully expecting that i'd be in the ellipse with a group of friends and then have them come out and announce that it was going to be random.

even if my vegas GA's get me in, i will never forget san diego, and how much it sucked.

the lottery is bullshit. i'd be proud to wear that shirt.

Its on its way

neutral said:

Or people could just not open all 2 threads on this page right now with "lottery" or "ellipse" in the titles. :hmm: :wink:

True.

But it's more fun to watch people push boulders up the steep mountain.
:madspit:

Besides, I'm curious to see when the first post shows up where someone actually talked to a band member about the system... say like this:

"I talked to Edge about the lottery, told him how bummed I am about it; how I own every CD, 4 books, 3 DVDs and have been a fan for 20 years. Even told him how cool it is to have a modest bootleg collection. I went on to add, I want the right to earn my way into the Bomb Shelter, first come first serve is best. On Interference the poll is running 60-40 against the lottery... blah blah blah...

Edge looked at me, thanked me for my years of supporting the band, and said, "....."

Someday, that post will arrive -- and I want to see how it ends.

i know a certain poster (who will remain nameless) that actually talked to mr mcguinness about it even before the first song on the first show in at SD1..:sexywink:

..and Mr. McGuinness was..like (not exact quote but acted like the decision had been made well in advance and wasn't open for discussion) "well that's lovely, next topic"..:wink:

true story.
db9

Last edited:
diamond said:
i know a certain poster (who will remain nameless) that actually talked to mr mcguinness about it even before the first song on the first show in at SD1..:sexywink:

..and Mr. McGuinness was..like (not exact quote but acted like the decision had been made well in advance and wasn't open for discussion) "well that's lovely, next topic"..:wink:

true story.
db9

Why doesn't Paul M. give a shit that fans are so unhappy? I wish Larry knew about this.

u2valleygirl,

im sure all 4 members know about it. they probably knew about it before the tour started and weighed what the fall out would be and stood by their decision.

over the decades, pound for pound u2 has given far more to their fans than any other rock group of their caliber.

that's what we as fans shouldn't lose sight of.

yes, the lottery system is aggravating, but it's a decision the band made and their live music is their art and this is how they've chose to present their art -in a live setting

i know this doesn't help much but i think they have their reasons whatever they may be.

peace,

db9

Last edited:
I think getting in the ellipse is helpful if you don't want to wait in line all day--but visually I'd rather be outside the ellipse. You can see so much more of the show. I enjoyed being up front and it was exciting to hear my friend's ticket beep after 5 shows of not getting in, but it wasn't the end all/be all.

diamond said:

true story.
db9

I hope you kicked his ass. (The certain poster)

Last edited:
amarks86 said:

korczykp said he heard them say "When are they going to play a song we have heard of"

Also, what kind of a fan would leave to get drinks in the middle of the show?

What kind of fan would be pointing to their friends and waving while the band is less than 10 feet away? Not just once or twice, but literally for half the show. I think the only time they looked up at the band is when they were trying to flirt with Adam.

They could have been there w. boyfriends who were hard core fans

Any way you cut it the lottery makes it more fair for some, but even less fair for those at the front. It inconveniences those who are wwilling to sacrifice the most. Ridiculous.

Jon

The OOTS said:

I agree.

In a 20,000 seat venue, there are bound to be all types of fans.

Yes, and everyone there is a fan. They spent the time and money to see U2 live. It's also true that there are all types of fans that enjoy and experience concerts in different ways. I have no problem with this. I do have a problem when certain fans ruin the concert going experience for others with their behavior. Unfortunately the GA lottery is allowing fans into the ellipse whose behavior would be best left at the back of the floor. If fans need to be drunk and obnoxious...talking, chain smoking and puking throughout a concert in order to enjoy it...fine. Just stay in the back where you won't ruin the enjoyment and experience of those fans who actually came to watch an listen to the performance. With a first-come-serve GA floor this wasn't such a problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom