Why is U2 the greatest live act ever ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's nobody in all the many artists, concerts I have seen where I get goosebumps when I hear the first note of a guitar before they come out on stage. No wonder everybody jumps up and down in the oval, because it's so exciting to hear that music and see them live, it's not just a concert, it's an experience, like Bono says, "the church not built with walls." It's always been that way, and I can't imagine it will ever be any other way. Their music stirs your soul, and in person to hear that incredible Edge guitar playing, and know that Bono is right in front of you singing, to hear all those songs that mean so much, and so beautiful live, no one else in music does that for me, ever, never, and probably never will. Obviously 15-20k other people feel the same way each concert, because there is no other group except U2 where, truly, "tonight we will be as one." U2 touches my heart and soul, and always has.

Last edited:
When you see camera flashed going off when Dallas Schoo walks the ellipse you know your in the room for something important.

Although, I've seen the same reaction for when Neil Young's black gibson guitar makes an appearance.

u2fp

U2 to me are nothing like going to church, which is good cos I HATE church! :madspit:

"U2 are better than sex" :huh: Are you FREAKING :crazy: ?????

They're a bleedin' great rock band! :rockon:

ramblingrob said:
SInce I have stirred the proverbial hornets nest up, I have to say that this is MY OPINION. I love u2, and I think they put on great shows, but I just cant say they are the greatest live act. All of the artists I mentioned are IN MY OPINION better. I have seen u2 in four different tours: War, JT, Pop and Elevation. Loved all the shows, but they still dont rank like the artists I mentioned. I gave some of the reasons: Lack of varied setlists (if they varied their setlists I think they would rise in rank), only tour every four years (again, more touring more respect) and relatively short shows.

Anyway, go ahead and flame me. Silly me, I should have known, its a U2 msgboard and they (U2) can do no wrong.

Carry on

I can't see that you was flamed. Just that people didn't agree with you. I said I respected your opinion. Maybe I didn't read all the other posts ... :shrug:

i might be going slightly off-topic but as this thingy is about "U2" and "live" I might point out the greatness of SBS as it is seen on the rattle&hum dvd.

:wink:

I've seen everything from Cibo Matto to Tina Turner–and U2 is definately up there. But even though they are my favorite band far and away, live the Boss can't be touched. I don't like his albums nearly as much but he's a freak live.

If U2 played a 19 song main set and a 7 song encore (re: a 160-180 min. show every night) while rotating 10 songs in and out every night you'd have a bruce show. His last show of the rising tour was 30 songs long. THIRTY. NO intermission.

Honestly, the man is not human. He was replaced by a robot at birth or something. I've seen other shows as long as his. And I've seen other shows with a similar amount of energy. But I've never seen someone kill themselves for three hours straight. He leaves it out there every night.

Last edited:
The only other concert that can compare U2 to was Paul McCartney & Wings, yes go ahead and laugh all you youngsters. As a child growing up in the 60's the Beatles were gods, and to get a chance to see and hear one of them live was just amazing. I cried my eyes out when Paul started playing the old Beatles classics. (To be fair, I also cried when U2 took the stage with the flashlights. I was just so darn happy to be there!)

I personally think that the ZooTV extravanganza was the greatest rock and roll show ever put on and has still not been surpassed - including by U2 themselves in their subsequent tours.

I must admit I have only seen U2 once - in London during Elevation - so I'm not sure if I can say without a shadow of a doubt whether they are the greatest live act!

What I did see that night though was nothing short of extraordinary! Not just how the way U2 played but the way the crowd reacted. It was like someone had released something into the air - 19,000 people went crazy, and they hadn't even finished "Elevation".

Like many that have posted on this site, I go to quite a few gigs every year and I have seen some memorable performances by bands that I am passionate about - Rage Against the Machine,Ben Harper, Pearl Jam, Oasis, Ryan Adams and some that I haven't - Scissor Sisters, Simon and Garfunkel, The 22-20's.

However, my most memorable moment came in 1999 at Wembley stadium, ladies and gentleman may I present: The Rolling Stones.

If you die before you have seen these guys (and U2), your life has not been lived to its fullest.

Alright, so arguably my opinion is worthless, since the only other bands I've seen besides U2 are Weezer and Todd Rudgren (with some other famous musicians, including John Entwhistle! dunno how to spell his name, but the bassist for The Who). But I've watched DVDs, heard experiences, listened to recordings... and for me, NOTHING can touch U2. Allow me to give you a horrible example that will make you all cringe and throw sharp objects at me...

I was listening to Linkin Park: Live in Texas, and during the song "Crawling" the singer guy kept trying to get everyone to sing along... he wanted the audience to sing it, which I thought was cool. However, I found myself laughing (and yes, I do like Linkin Park, get the hell over it). Perhaps it was just the mixing, but even after much prompting the audience was barely audible, and the singer kept having to go "I can't hear you! Sing it now!" or whatever. Let's compare this to a U2 concert... the audience is singing along for the ENTIRE concert, listen to bootlegs and you can clearly hear the audience. One of the most noticable parts is The Fly...Bono singing over what sounds like a beautiful choir of "Love...we shine like a burning star..." The audience sounds INCREDIBLE. Or in One - Bono will sometimes stop at "...got someone to blame, well it's - " and let the audience sing "too late tonight to drag the past out into the light." Does he have to TELL the audience to sing? HELL no! If Bono for whatever reason stops singing, the audience will sing for him. Often times the audience will start the "woohoo's" in Elevation before Bono does, and of course there's the 40 chant. It's all about audience interaction and unity... when you go to a U2 concert, you're not going to watch a band perform. You are a part of the concert, a part of something much bigger than yourself. To me, that says miles more than setlist length or variation or whatever, and even the musicianship (though many people will disagree, I'd say U2 is generally pretty tight...because of their minimalist style, paticulary Edge, when they do make a mistake it is very noticable, and of course Bono messes up lyrics sometimes, but overall I'd say they are very professional and rarely sloppy.) Another thing that makes U2 shine - they NAIL their songs live, and so many songs become bigger and better. U2 in the studio is genius, U2 live is something else entirely... I mean, honestly, I'm just speaking for myself here, but once I've heard a U2 song live, it's hard for me to go back to the album version. Please, Bad, The Fly, Streets, Sometimes, Sunday Bloody Sunday... all songs that were brilliantly recorded, but I hardly listen to them anymore. I listen to live versions.

Of couse there are other things that make U2 live great, such as the stage lighting and concepts and all that (ZooTV is probably one of the best things ever), but in the end it's all about the passion...the band really give it their all, and so does the audience! There's a connection between band and audience that I think is rare... of course there's the pulling up of fans on stage and all that (to play guitar no less!), but it's also just the little things... the way Bono's always interacting with the crowd, and now even Adam is getting a taste of it... and of course the way the audience makes itself a part of the show. Strange as it may seem, I think the best part of my Vertigo show was when the band had left the stage... the entire audience was singing, "How long to sing this song?" and we even started a synchronized clap...it was truly incredible, and I felt like I was truly a part of something. It's something so fucking beautiful that can't truly be understood until you experience it yourself, but to me that sums up U2 live. The unity. Passion and unity, those are the two main things... a U2 show isn't a show, it's an experience.

it really just amazed me about how many people there were inside the fucking arena! i've never seen so many people gathered in one place to watch 4 men play instruments. not only the number of people, but the part they play in the show itself. Pride has always been a crowd favourite, and at the Anahiem show the crowd was really very very loud in singing that song! Just to know that your voice is one of the other 20,000 voices in the audience, and that there are all so many of you singing that one song gives you goosebumps and makes the show seem really special. U2 music is very lively and upbeat, and the crowd gets very involved with the show, singing and dancing and all that. i don't know why, but somehow you feel connected to the band and the music. it's a very mysterious feeling that only U2 and a few other rock bands can give you

Although I'm relatively young, I've seen a good many concerts and I don't think that I've ever seen anything that could possibly compare to U2. And nothing new on the market could possibly compare to U2...

For example I was in the front row at a Keane/Zutons concert and I fell asleep during the show...and whatever the singers name is noticed...yeah...but the Zutons were absolutely fabulous live. I definitely recommend them.

And here ends my pointless ramble where I state that U2 is a great live act, but I just can't say with complete confidence that they are the best in the world...

because they just are!

Watch one of the videos and you'll get a good idea.
Go to a concert and they will blow your mind.

I have'nt been to see em yet, but I know it's gonna happen.

Two words: Crowd Energy.
At no other shows (besides maybe Bruce) will you see virtually every single member of the audience so attentive, impassioned, and involved with the music and the band. The only other show at which I have seen such crowd captivation was Tool in a 5,000 seat venue.
At a Santana, Grateful Dead or Phish show half the audience is usually sleeping or conversing over the background noodling.

8rattoon said:
Two words: Crowd Energy.
At no other shows (besides maybe Bruce) will you see virtually every single member of the audience so attentive, impassioned, and involved with the music and the band. The only other show at which I have seen such crowd captivation was Tool in a 5,000 seat venue.
At a Santana, Grateful Dead or Phish show half the audience is usually sleeping or conversing over the background noodling.

You've seen Tool? :drool: I've always considered Tool to be the U2 of heavy metal in terms of musical quality, passion, diversity, and emotion... Tool :drool:

Great responses, personally I think what makes them so great on the stage is that I 've always gotten this feeling over the last two decades of watching them that they really give a shit about what's going on onstage and how the crowd is reacting to their performance while I've seen so many other bands kinda of just play and what ever happens, happens and they could care less.

AtomicBono said:

You've seen Tool? :drool: I've always considered Tool to be the U2 of heavy metal in terms of musical quality, passion, diversity, and emotion... Tool :drool:

If you ever get the chance to see them live, I highly recommend it. They have a new album coming out which means another tour (fortunately much less expensive than U2!). They are very much the metal version of U2; especially Maynard's soaring lyrics being similar to Bono's (although maynard is a true tenor).

Back
Top Bottom