Why is it that...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seems to match my disdain for Stained.

Everyone has a band they hate. I am fine with people hating U2. Tickets and parking are a bitch.

uuu222 said:
so many people hate Bono and U2 for the good humanitarian efforts they promote.

Some people can't stand it when the rich want to help. They won't be happy unless they give everything away. You'll see alot of that even in here. No matter how much good they do, some will find it hypocritical.

It's pretty fucked up.

Re: Re: Why is it that...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Some people can't stand it when the rich want to help. They won't be happy unless they give everything away. You'll see alot of that even in here. No matter how much good they do, some will find it hypocritical.

It's pretty fucked up.

That's such a bad misconception. That rich people, since their rich, shouldn't be promoting people to donate money to charity since they have so much money to donate.

a) u2 DOES donate money
b) using this reasoning, rich people aren't allowed to give money to charity.

Re: Re: Re: Why is it that...

unosdostres14 said:

That's such a bad misconception. That rich people, since their rich, shouldn't be promoting people to donate money to charity since they have so much money to donate.

a) u2 DOES donate money
b) using this reasoning, rich people aren't allowed to give money to charity.

Either you are being sarcastic or you didn't understand my post.

I agree with you 100%

I'm saying why some(not me) don't like U2 taking these stances.

I'm not sure how you misunderstood me.

I was in a bar on the weekend and struck up conversation with a guy from Cork who was wearing a Vertigo t-shirt and waiting at the bar.. so I asked him what he though of the concert and came out with the whole, "Bono should quit preaching and give some of his cash instead...I went to be entertained not to hear this Africa shit" argument. He even left the concert before the Zoo encore.

All I could do was turn away from the conversation.. it's so narrow minded that I cannot even have a discussion with somebody that holds such polarised views.

Last edited:
havent the band always taken political stances? right back to bono waving a white flag? the band dressing up in radio-active gear during stop sellafield? ZooTv link up's?

do these fans even know anything about the band?

One speech before One and the Africa mini-speech in the transition between Pride and Streets is hardly being "too preachy."

U2girl said:
One speech before One and the Africa mini-speech in the transition between Pride and Streets is hardly being "too preachy."
yes but it was ok when he done the ZooTv link up's into sarajevo dont you see?

I remember the Pinochet's speech in S. America as well, anti-Reagan/IRA/apartheid rants on JT tour.

He's been worse in that department in the past. I guess the pre-00's Bono can do no wrong.

U2girl said:
I remember the Pinochet's speech in S. America as well, anti-Reagan/IRA/apartheid rants on JT tour.

He's been worse in that department in the past. I guess the pre-00's Bono can do no wrong.

well he can;t but nobody remebers it anymore because it has been so long ago...:wink:

zwervers2 said:

Stop complaining about Zootv:|

:wink:
hey as i said i love everything i have from ZooTv, and before, but i just find it strange when people bitch and moan about certain things that are happening now, which bono and the band were worse for back then

p.s. i would never complain about bono's speeches, infact i support him for everything he is doing regarding africa etc

Looking at the first 31 answers on the messageboard - I love how people just rant without doing their research. Be it the band or Bono's activism/donating money.

Some interesting points have been made on this particular thread. I, like several others, have friends who do abhor Bono's form of "Activism" and so-called protest. I saw two concerts on this European tour (Manchester and Twickenham) and I would certainly say that the campaigning message is larger than it was on "Elevation" four years previous.

From a purely personal point of view Bono's so-called rantings have made me more aware of world issues, and have certainly influenced my reading material this last six months.

I think fans who are passionatre about U2 realise that this is part of not just Bono's make-up but the other members of the band also. Remember they have been ardent supporters of both Greenpeace and Amnesty International for years.

Like many music fans U2 are not the only band I follow, but I got into them like other bands by liking the music. I think Bono is astute and is very aware of the message he can get across to fans, but it honestly doesn't bother me.

Next summer I am hoping to buy tickets for the Rolling Stones when they hit Europe. Apparently one of their new songs is called "Neo-Con", making reference to their apparent indifference to the current Bush Administration. Okay the message might be a little diluted compared to that of U2 but it will not put me off watching probaly the only band that still rival U2 of the live circuit.

Bono is sticking his neck out, making noise doing what he does and he's bound to attract some negative comments on that just because he's putting himself out there.

With all good, comes some bad.
It's probably harder on him than it is on us fans - or maybe not, I suppose he has grown a thick skin on this subject through the years.

People who hate U2 because of their humanitarian efforts should be shot.

I personally am all for U2 using their fame to bring attention to a needy cause, they are doing a very good thing.

That being said, i would like to give my opinion on drawing attention to these great causes during concerts.

In my opinion, I think that in this tour Bono is doing 'too much' to draw attention for the causes and this has caused a loss of the basic essence of U2 shows. The concerts have too many speeches, etc. and that has, to a certain degree, ruined the live U2 experience. For example: the Streets Africa backdrop, the Africa speech in the beginning of Streets, the One Campaign speech during One, the Human Rights video, the "Everyone" speech during Pride.

I think if Bono lessened the speeches, etc. during the concerts, then shows would be more intimate. They would purely be just about the music, the band, and the fans. Charity is a great thing, but it is taking away the basic "joy" of these concerts.

I think it is great that U2 spends some of their free time towards charity. It's good that Bono meets with world leaders and that U2 participate in Amnesty International, Live Aid, Live 8, Greenpeace, etc. But I think the shows would be better without the charity.

^IMO

Last edited:
Infinitum98 said:
People who hate U2 because of their humanitarian efforts should be shot.

I personally am all for U2 using their fame to bring attention to a needy cause, they are doing a very good thing.

That being said, i would like to give my opinion on drawing attention to these great causes during concerts. Bono has been working hard for African aid for many years now. He has also been working hard on his career at the same time.

In my opinion, I think that in this tour Bono is doing 'too much' to draw attention for the causes and this has caused a loss of the basic essence of U2 shows. The concerts have too many speeches, etc. and that has, to a certain degree, ruined the live U2 experience. For example: the Streets Africa backdrop, the Africa speech in the beginning of Streets, the One Campaign speech during One, the Human Rights video, the "Everyone" speech during Pride.

I think if Bono lessened the speeches, etc. during the concerts, then shows would be more intimate. They would purely be just about the music, the band, and the fans. Charity is a great thing, but it is taking away the basic "joy" of these concerts.

^IMO
he gives a speech before ONE, talks about MLK or whatever during Pride, and theres a little video showing the decleration of human rights i would hardly call that "too much" considering what he has actually done in the past i.e. live link up's to sarajevo ah but it was "cool" then right? his speeches against the IRA during the JT era? the whole white flag no more war thing? why was nothing said during this time about it being "too much"? why all of a sudden do people, even FANS of the band that knew all about bono doing these things suddenly start saying he is doing it to much?

baffles me everytime

Last edited:
Um...don't want to get too involved in this....but I'm not sure that there weren't people around the world who thought the things KUEF just mentioned weren't too much back then....

U2Man i feel kind of empty not having anything to argue over with you :| at this rate there will be no second love in:sad:

No this is crap! We need to dig up some issues to argue over ourselves :wink:

Everton SUX :down:, Arsenal RULEZ.....:rockon: !!!!!! :evil: :mac:

:wink:

I've wandered into the discussion threads on Yahoo once or twice and vowed never to do so again because it was full of hateful, racist morons. Sometimes you've got to consider the source.

Back
Top Bottom