Why is "Crumbs" missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UltravioletTX

Babyface
Any ideas out there on why this song isn't being played on this tour thus far? I know I've heard rumors that they have actually rehearsed it, but it has yet to be played in front of an live audience. I figure that it's not going to be played at all now, because if it was, then they would have dusted it off for the Live8 event!

One theory I have on why it's not being played is that maybe they feel that it is too "preachy" now or something ... not subversive enough? any thoughts?

they were never going to have played it at live 8, why play a song which 80% of the people there wont know?, i dunno why they havent played it, i dont know if they will play it, maybe there just not happy with the way it sounds live?

KUEFC09U2 said:
they were never going to have played it at live 8, why play a song which 80% of the people there wont know?,

because it is the most important song they have ever written

bono_man2002 said:
Who knows to believe or not to believe Bono when he talks about drink being involved.

Who knows what to believe or not to believe when Bono talks about anything...

I'd think Crumbs would be a great song for the end of the set. It's got the same feel as Walk On.

nickypiemcg said:
i think it will lose alot of its greatness life as it needs 2 guitars and a synth to be done well

there's a studio work-in-progress performance on the HTDAAB dvd (bono with an acoustic guitar) and it sounds pretty good.
they HAVE to play crumbs on this tour!!!!!!!

UltravioletTX said:
Any ideas out there on why this song isn't being played on this tour thus far?

Well, my theory is to blame Warren Buffet. Bono asked him how to get Americans to help with the crisis in Africa. Warrent told him not to "appeal to the conscience of America; but appeal to America's greatness." Well, Crumbs is about the bible belt folks who give money to charities all the time, but aren't giving to African charities. Crumbs is appealing to the conscience and Bono may believe that's the less effective route. I particularily believe this because Crumbs was perfect for Live8. Has to be the reason they passed on it.

they can't figure out (or agree on) how to play it live is my guess.
i don't buy the theory that they are not playing it because of the song's "message".
if they didn't want to deliver the message in the song--they never would have recorded it in the first place.

Re: Re: Why is "Crumbs" missing?

Snowlock said:

Well, my theory is to blame Warren Buffet. Bono asked him how to get Americans to help with the crisis in Africa. Warrent told him not to "appeal to the conscience of America; but appeal to America's greatness." Well, Crumbs is about the bible belt folks who give money to charities all the time, but aren't giving to African charities. Crumbs is appealing to the conscience and Bono may believe that's the less effective route. I particularily believe this because Crumbs was perfect for Live8. Has to be the reason they passed on it.

This is an interesting theory...I think they are just saving it for later and didn't have time to reherse...but your opinion, snowlock is interesting. Maybe you are right.

nickypiemcg said:
i think it will lose alot of its greatness life as it needs 2 guitars and a synth to be done well

Yep, a great studio song that will probably never be played live, at least not well unless it’s a stripped down acoustic version like Stay. Might be better that way anyway considering how Ultraviolet and the first few performances of Original of the Species sounded on this tour. :reject:

cmb737 said:

Written while drunk.

Loads of great songs have been written by drunk or stoned musicians. :)

As to why they haven't played it live...I imagine they aren't happy with how it sounds live. Some songs just don't make the transition from studio to stage.

indra said:

Loads of great songs have been written by drunk or stoned musicians. :)

As to why they haven't played it live...I imagine they aren't happy with how it sounds live. Some songs just don't make the transition from studio to stage.

LOL yeah - how many great Stones and Beatles tracks would never have been written without assorted "chemicals" for example? No Sgt Pepper for a start! :wink:

I think you're right tho, it does seem like a song that would be hard to bring from the studio to a live platform. without numerous extra instruments, it would possibly lose a lot of the richness that it has.

Still...maybe one day I very much hope!

Let's not turn this into a Vertigo2 thread - there are numerous threads past and present on that subject.

caragriff said:
maybe they should get very drunk before getting on stage and then they will be able to play it.
rewind the clock to popmart or zoo tv and that might actually happen.

During Zootv Bono was pissed 50% of the concerts haha

adeel said:

there's a studio work-in-progress performance on the HTDAAB dvd (bono with an acoustic guitar) and it sounds pretty good.
they HAVE to play crumbs on this tour!!!!!!!

Yeah I've seen that but I'm talking about the bit with the synth after the guitar intro bit and after every verse. This wasn't on the dvd.

starsgoblue.. i thought i was reading this thread, but now i think i just stared at your sig for about three and a half minutes. :wink:

I want crumbs! It does sound good on the bonus-dvd-thingy.

Re: Re: Why is "Crumbs" missing?

Snowlock said:

Come on now, seriously! You're joking. Right?:huh:

Back
Top Bottom