Why doesn't U2 vary their setlists more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
This tour is the most varied since the Lovetown tour.:huh:

Not sure where you've been.

Plus the "Adam not being able to play bass" comment just sounds like a trolling remark, you might want to be a little more careful.
Yep. Adam's quite better now than he was on the Boy tour.

Anyways, I'm sure the guys will mix it up further down the road, but yeah, it won't change drastically over the first dozen shows. Sometimes consistency is the key. But yeah, a surprise every so often wouldn't hurt.

Here's what Bono had to say about the tour, and about hitting the UK in June:

“We’ll stick with it the way it is for the next few shows. We have other material to get working on. A few surprises to bring as the tour gets on. We tried a few things (on the first night) that didn’t always work. ‘Elevation’ went a bit south and we came off at the corners a few times with ‘The Fly’. You know, I wasn’t sure what we were before, if we were still a rock band. But when I was whacking the tambourine on ‘All Because Of You’, it felt like an old song, like we were back, like we were a rock band again. At times it was a political rally, at time it was a gospel tent, at times it was a Las Vegas show.”

:laugh: It's true, same shit everytime. Promo Bono at work. But you got hand it 'em, still being able to play Electric Co at 45 is pretty good.

But give the guys a break. They're getting older now, they deserve a life outside of rocking, Bono's got his DATA work, they're not 100% on U2 anymore. Despite my disappointment in the 5 shows I've seen thus far, I am grateful for what I can get of them.

Setlists arent made for the few thousand people that regularly come to this site they are made for the few million people that will be attending the tour and I for one am in agreement with U2 that every show you do should be as good of quality as the night before was and to play songs just to vary the setlist isnt a very good choice in my opinion. The songs should be rehersed before they play them these days, this isnt a small club this is a arena show, where many other factors come into consideration and mistakes are blown out of proportion, as seen on this site.

theyoonaboramer said:
But give the guys a break. They're getting older now, they deserve a life outside of rocking, Bono's got his DATA work, they're not 100% on U2 anymore. Despite my disappointment in the 5 shows I've seen thus far, I am grateful for what I can get of them.
they also have familes, which imo should be the first thing ANYONE thinks of

theyoonaboramer said:
. Despite my disappointment in the 5 shows I've seen thus far, I am grateful for what I can get of them.

5 freakin shows already .....
no shit ..............

i only managed to get one ticket for a show in may

:eek: :yikes:

KUEFC09U2 said:
wouldnt bother me in the littlest if they were identical, thats my whole point of this argument

I agree. I mean people have totally different opinions so it is hard to argue this but personally I am goin to all 7 shows in Boston, not because I want a different setlist or because I want a totally different show, but because I love this band.

Setlists will always be debated, good and bad (with U2's catalogue, there is no "perfect setlist").

What is weird to me is that it seems that a certain contingent on this board becomes outraged at any critique or debate about setlists (or anything about the tour or band in general). "Love it, or shut up" seems to be their take on things. Well I'm here to say that these threads (both laudatory and critical) stem from our intense passion, nothing else. IMO, the best threads on this board have stemmed from intense debate over all things U2.

My feeling is let's not stifle one's opinion--if you have a different point of view, cool.

Re: Why doesn't U2 vary their setlists more? - Maintaining Illusions

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

U2, stop trying to nail your setlists and come off as quasi-capable musicians and/or spectacle-givers... We don't care if Adam can't play bass... We love your band for other reasons. Wouldn't you be happier to just go out there night after night and play whatever? If you're concerned that it would ruin some illusion we hold in our heads, you're wrong or misguided. How cool would it be to go out there tonight and improv "Zooropa" or "Trying to thrown your arms..."? Man, that would be amazing! Again, that would be amazing! And you'd love it too, you'd probably really love it but you're afraid that we might laugh at your imperfections.

Sincerely,

ZooMacphisto800

Q: Did Adam have a stated goal in mind when the bass lessons began?

A: Patrick Pfieffer--"It was a general urge to improve. He was obviously already an accomplished bass player, but we tightened up some areas. I don't use the word "brilliant" lightly, but Adam was a brilliant student. I'd give him a monster exercise one week, and he'd have it perfectly the next. It was a pleasure to see how far I could push him. I never did find his limit."

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.srcID=3379&Key=dummies&Year=&Cat=

It's 2005, not 1980, Adam certainly knows how to play bass.

I highly doubt it is Adam's fault the setlist is not as varied and spontaneous as you'd like...at least that's the impression I got from your post. He's probably capable of so much more than people give him credit for, even among U2 fans. Adam's not the only one who has to know how to play the songs.

Last edited:
ultraviolet353 said:
Setlists will always be debated, good and bad (with U2's catalogue, there is no "perfect setlist").

What is weird to me is that it seems that a certain contingent on this board becomes outraged at any critique or debate about setlists (or anything about the tour or band in general). "Love it, or shut up" seems to be their take on things. Well I'm here to say that these threads (both laudatory and critical) stem from our intense passion, nothing else. IMO, the best threads on this board have stemmed from intense debate over all things U2.

My feeling is let's not stifle one's opinion--if you have a different point of view, cool.

:up:

good music doesn't need variations.
i think we must give us satisfied with what we receive and don't ask for other songs. last year i went to a dream theater gig in florence, italy (d t is a progressive metal band, and what a band, they studied at berkley in boston!) and after the concert the guitarist john petrucci kindly came out to sign autographs. so i took the incredible chance to have a little conversation with him, and i asked "john, why didn't you perform metropolis" and he went smiling: "you always want metropolis!" and i again: "but this is one of your best songs!" (and it is!) and he responded: "OH,WE'RE BORED WITH IT!" i couldn't believe my ears, john petrucci himself had said to me personnally they're bored with on of their very best song! so, we must take everything, if u2 won't play gone, which is one of my very fav songs, when they will play here in milan, patience! i will be glad to hear the same songs they're playing right now, in the end, what counts is to see them and listen to them, whatever they play

MrBrau1 said:
They play the same set so they can perform the best show for each audience. Most people don't go to more than 1 show, and that's who they're performing to.

100% right.

So what they do, is try their best to find that same set mixture, as they always do, and they will stick with it, more or less.

They appear to be settling in. This is the deal with U2, it has been this way for a while now, get used to it. People are paying a lot of money, most of them go to 1 show, they want a good performance of a u2 song, not an under-rehearsed performance of a song that most of them may not even know.

I appreciate the wanting of more variety. It's just not the deal with U2, they gotta give the average fan their money's worth. Probably 90% of the people at their gigs just want a good rock gig from a good rock band. U2 aren't trying to be a proverbial jukebox of hits, they are trying to mix it up and won't please everybody, especially their own hard core fans. Hits, New ones, staples, and a few from the closet.

And as Brau said, it's basically gonna be the same set, because they want to get it right for the people who come see them wanting a special one night gig, they aren't in it for the long haul checking setlists nightly, they want a show that was worth $50 to go see.

ultraviolet353 said:

And what is weird to me (and probably others too) is how people at - what, 5 shows in the tour? - find a way to moan and complain about everything .

U2girl said:

And what is weird to me (and probably others too) is how people at - what, 5 shows in the tour? - find a way to moan and complain about everything .
the expression words right out of my mouth spring to mind

Lets be honest. 99% of U2 fans want the following setlist:
4 new songs. Probably Vertigo, Sometimes, COBL and Miracle Drug.
Streets
Pride
WOWY
Still Havent...
New Years Day
SBS
I Will Follow
One
MW
UTEOTW
BD
Elevation
SIAM
Stay
Bad
18 songs and they're happy. "Mixing it up" for most fans would be playing Discotheque, SATS, Gloria, WGRYWH or HMTMKMKM.

Everyone claims they want U2 to mix it up but I don't believe it for a second. U2 pull An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart and the Ocean out of their ass and the response from the crowd is indifference.
The response from the "hardcore" fans on Interference is even more pathetic. Lengthy threads requesting the return of WOWY and I Will Follow. "Dump An Cat Dubh" is the mood online.

U2 know what they're doing. Play the staples. It's what everyone really wants.

Besides the reasons I mentioned on the first page, I have another comment. Since most people aren't going to see more than one show, most people would never know or care, so it's not a big deal to them or the band. If a handful of people here on this forum are disappointed and bored by repeat setlists, they can sell me their tickets to future shows, I don't have any :( and I'd be glad to see ANY setlist!

U2Kitten said:
Besides the reasons I mentioned on the first page, I have another comment. Since most people aren't going to see more than one show, most people would never know or care, so it's not a big deal to them or the band. If a handful of people here on this forum are disappointed and bored by repeat setlists, they can sell me their tickets to future shows, I don't have any :( and I'd be glad to see ANY setlist!

I'm only going to one show. My point remains.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

I'm only going to one show. My point remains.
well lets see if its a show that they do mess round with the setlist, and then the show suffers, and you will come back moaning about the show, get over it

KUEFC09U2 said:
well lets see if its a show that they do mess round with the setlist, and then the show suffers, and you will come back moaning about the show, get over it

No, I won't moan... That's what you fail to understand. I'm all about losing the carbon copy of last night, and all about some spontenaity (sp?).

All I can say for the people going to 10 concerts or more is I really dont care about what they play for these people, they should play what they want to play and if that involves having close to the same setlist every night which they are comfortable with so be it.

I dont know how anybody could get enough time off work to go to 10 concerts anyway but people here seem to be able to do it with regularity...must have real cushy jobs.

If I did go to 10 concerts...if i had the time and money which I dont I wouldnt expect U2 to change the way they do the show just because I had seen it before.

The reality is the vast majority of people that are at these concerts know at most 5 tracks so the rest of the setlist is actually new to them and that is as relivent as anything.

Yahweh said:
All I can say for the people going to 10 concerts or more is I really dont care about what they play for these people, they should play what they want to play and if that involves having close to the same setlist every night which they are comfortable with so be it.

I dont know how anybody could get enough time off work to go to 10 concerts anyway but people here seem to be able to do it with regularity...must have real cushy jobs.

If I did go to 10 concerts...if i had the time and money which I dont I wouldnt expect U2 to change the way they do the show just because I had seen it before.

The reality is the vast majority of people that are at these concerts know at most 5 tracks so the rest of the setlist is actually new to them and that is as relivent as anything.

Yeah, yeah 10 shows... Bla Bla Bla

Can anyone read?

If you are going to 1 U2 show this tour what does it matter what setlist they play for you?

I dont get the arguement, other then that it would make it more interesting for bootlegers, and all I can say to that is who gives a fuck about bootlegers and I am one of them!

Yahweh said:
If you are going to 1 U2 show this tour what does it matter what setlist they play for you?

I dont get the arguement, other then that it would make it more interesting for bootlegers, and all I can say to that is who gives a fuck about bootlegers and I am one of them!

Because I like to think that U2 are giving an honest performance and not just going through the motions. I'm sure Bono circa 1987 would agree with me.

Im sure he wouldnt because if you actually looked at the setlists from back then they were very standard as they are today. This has never really changed. If you felt U2 didnt give you an honest performance I am sure they would love to hear from you and have you tell them so...but I havent heard anybody say that U2 didnt give their all when they went to see them.

Back then, as I said in post #1, it wasn't such a big deal because we didn't keep track of sets in real time. A U2 live performance was truly an isolated event.

I'd also argue that, back then, there was something more genuine about their performance.

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
Because I like to think that U2 are giving an honest performance and not just going through the motions. I'm sure Bono circa 1987 would agree with me.

Why is it necessarily 'going through the motions' when they're playing the same setlist? What does that say about their performance, about their conviction, about their efforts?
And the Bono of 1987 would agree with you? From that band that repeatedly played the same setlist, night after night after night after night, on their Joshua Tree Tour? why would he agree with you?

ZooMacPhisto800 said:
Back then, as I said in post #1, it wasn't such a big deal because we didn't keep track of sets in real time. A U2 live performance was truly an isolated event.

I'd also argue that, back then, there was something more genuine about their performance.

Even then there were plenty of people going to multiple concerts.

Back
Top Bottom