Why doesn't U2 vary their setlists more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MumblingBono said:
You are asking them to be what they are not - "talented musicians". They CAN'T just rip into any song at will. Takes practice, practice, practice.

U2 = not Phish

Not asking for Phish, I don't care if they make mistakes either, they're capable of playing their songs (they can practice if need be)... Practice 50 songs if need be, switch them in or not... I think the issue is the illusion they want to maintain... Can't they just chill out?

Shakenotstirred said:

They don't cater to fans that go about 10 times a tour? Not to be mean or anything, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I love U2, but give me a break for all you guys who just rail people who come on this board and say something bad about your God band.....the band does not cater to fans going for the first time. Playing more than half of their greatest hits would be catering to people going for the first time, but playing four? Not playing Bad, I Will Follow, With or Without You (once), All I Want Is You, Unforgettable Fire, Desire.......and playing songs that first time fans going probably don't know like The Ocean, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Zoo Station, The Fly......and playing seven songs off of their new album? That's catering to first timers? No...it's catering to die hard fans. I am a die hard fan, but I'd love to see them sing more of their hits. The crowd would definitely get into the show more....
the word that comes to me is... erm troll

KUEFC09U2 said:
yes i know i am,

but you dont need to tell me, due to me knowing already, so can i have your ticket then?

No, I wouldn't want you to attend 2+ shows and realize the shows were identical, thus ruining the illusion

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

No, I wouldn't want you to attend 2+ shows and realize the shows were identical, thus ruining the illusion
wouldnt bother me in the littlest if they were identical, thats my whole point of this argument

The experience changes with each show. If one plans on attending multiple shows, I really can't imagine why you would expect a wide divergence in set lists.

In six shows, U2 has provided enough mystery so that the show is not completely predictable.

What will be the opening song?

Will we get a dose of Boy, or some other songs?

nbcrusader said:
The experience changes with each show. If one plans on attending multiple shows, I really can't imagine why you would expect a wide divergence in set lists.

In six shows, U2 has provided enough mystery so that the show is not completely predictable.

What will be the opening song?

Will we get a dose of Boy, or some other songs?
hey he wont agree with you, think just arguing for the sake of arguing

KUEFC09U2 said:
well as i have said why dont you just sell your ticket?

Can't you understand the fact that, despite my criticisms, I'm not 100% disgusted with U2 as you like to assume. I'm encouraging them to do more, which I believe they'd appreciate as well...

ZooMacPhisto800 said:

Can't you understand the fact that, despite my criticisms, I'm not 100% disgusted with U2 as you like to assume. I'm encouraging them to do more, which I believe they'd appreciate as well...
no the posts you have made have suggested you being dissapointed in the tour, even though you havent been as of yet, and its only 6 shows in, and you also saying your dissapointed in a thing which U2 has never done on any previous tour apart from lovetown, and what there doing now is pretty much what they did then, so either go and try too enjoy your show without all these blockades in your mind, or dont go at all

its very simple

KUEFC09U2 said:
no the posts you have made have suggested you being dissapointed in the tour, even though you havent been as of yet, and its only 6 shows in, and you also saying your dissapointed in a thing which U2 has never done on any previous tour apart from lovetown, and what there doing now is pretty much what they did then, so either go and try too enjoy your show without all these blockades in your mind, or dont go at all

its very simple

bla bla bla "since lovetown" bla bla bla

I just returned home to Salt Lake City from LA where I attended the first Staples show on 5-April. I have to say that I could not have been more pleased with the show. I was one of the lucky 400 that got into the ellipse, and actually was the second person in and was standing front and center. I had previously dowloaded both SD shows and the first Anaheim (second had not been posted before I went to camp out.) Did not in any way feel cheated for hearing virtually the same songs as the first SD show with an added Myterious Ways. It is not U2's fault that I am crazy enough to spend countless hours cataloging every show and listening to them over and over.

I was not able to see too much of the light spectacle and was a little too close for the beads to look as cool as I have heard, but was more entertained by seeing and hearing a band put on that show than I ever imagined. I have seen 2 pop mart shows, 2 elevation shows, and now this and I have to say this show blew the others out of the water IMO.

I understand you are probably trying to give a little constructive criticism, I just think you are not understanding who U2 is. They have been around long enough to know what they enjoy in their live shows, and it obviously is not sponteneity. It is giving a solid performance that they feel good about. I do respect your opinion, but I personally love this band for who they are and have been ever since I can remember and do not require, or even want, a change.

the word that comes to me is... erm troll

Ok?? That took some thought.

wouldnt bother me in the littlest if they were identical, thats my whole point of this argument

You've made the argument for us. If it's identical.....then they should change it up some.

And as I said, I love U2, but if they want to cater to more fans, they need to play more of their hits, because right now their set list is catering towards die hard fans......and if you care to argue that, than you are blind. You think U2 is perfect. They can do no wrong. Well I am telling you right now....playing a bunch of songs that not many people know is not catering to first time fans, like you said.

shifty24 said:
I just returned home to Salt Lake City from LA where I attended the first Staples show on 5-April. I have to say that I could not have been more pleased with the show. I was one of the lucky 400 that got into the ellipse, and actually was the second person in and was standing front and center. I had previously dowloaded both SD shows and the first Anaheim (second had not been posted before I went to camp out.) Did not in any way feel cheated for hearing virtually the same songs as the first SD show with an added Myterious Ways. It is not U2's fault that I am crazy enough to spend countless hours cataloging every show and listening to them over and over.

I was not able to see too much of the light spectacle and was a little too close for the beads to look as cool as I have heard, but was more entertained by seeing and hearing a band put on that show than I ever imagined. I have seen 2 pop mart shows, 2 elevation shows, and now this and I have to say this show blew the others out of the water IMO.

I understand you are probably trying to give a little constructive criticism, I just think you are not understanding who U2 is. They have been around long enough to know what they enjoy in their live shows, and it obviously is not sponteneity. It is giving a solid performance that they feel good about. I do respect your opinion, but I personally love this band for who they are and have been ever since I can remember and do not require, or even want, a change.

I really respect your opinion.

I just think they're capable of more variation... I think this would be even more U2-ish. I think seeing the exact same thing twice, including speeches devalues the whole thing. Instead of being genuine and of-the-moment, it's just a replay of last night.

capable - most definately.

I do think you are going to have a hard time convincing a band that has (by beginning of April) broken ticket sales for a single year. These guys have proven that they could play two or more shows back to back in any city in the world without leaving an open seat. I am sure that U2 and their producers have the feeling: "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

shifty24 said:
capable - most definately.

I do think you are going to have a hard time convincing a band that has (by beginning of April) broken ticket sales for a single year. These guys have proven that they could play two or more shows back to back in any city in the world without leaving an open seat. I am sure that U2 and their producers have the feeling: "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

I don't think that reason would be sufficient for U2. "You can sellout any venue already, so why try to be better?".

Maybe you're right and this is why they've become complacent...

I think that the problem is millions upon millions of people don't feel like they need to be better. For 99% of the people, seeing them in concert is everything they could have wanted it to be. What I mean by "if it aint broke, then don't fix it" is that why take a chance at dissappointing those 99% to help the 1% to feel completely satisfied.

As I said before, I will respect your, or any, opinion for what it is worth. As for me, I just want those four Irish rockers to know they gave me another 2 of the most memorable hours of my life. So, to U2, thank you.

shifty24 said:
I think that the problem is millions upon millions of people don't feel like they need to be better. For 99% of the people, seeing them in concert is everything they could have wanted it to be. What I mean by "if it aint broke, then don't fix it" is that why take a chance at dissappointing those 99% to help the 1% to feel completely satisfied.

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like an ungrateful fan. It's just I think it would be more true to themselves as well. I think what I describe is more consistent with the spirit of U2 and all of what they've been saying over the years. I think they've become complacent.

well, in my opinion, there are a few different types of concerts:

1 - A simple stage with the usual, ordinary lighting that is all done manually during the show.

2 - A production that includes 2 hours worth of lighting special effects that have been very well thought out for a long time to be tailored to certain songs and to happen at different times during the show.

I think it is very clear what type of show U2 puts on. It would be basically impossible for them to change the show up too much. They had 11 guys on spotlights just directly above the stage alone that had to know what was going on. Your talking about 23 songs worth of special effects. That is a lot to take care of even if the show is absolutely identical every night.

To be honest, I don't think it is possible for U2 to put on the type of show that you are wanting, and still maintain the production the give.

Also, when was it that they started to become complacent? 20 years ago? I don't think complacency is the correct way to put it. It is just how the band is. A long time ago they made the decision to put on a "show," not just to play their music. I really think it was a very concious decision to play the way have and do, not because they are getting complacent.

When you do attend this tour, get as close as you can and see how much effort the entire band puts into performing. During Staples 1, Bono changed his shirt twice because it was drenched with sweat. I think the last thing they should be accused of is complacency.

sorry to keep going on about this, just keep thinking of things to say.

shifty24 said:
well, in my opinion, there are a few different types of concerts:

1 - A simple stage with the usual, ordinary lighting that is all done manually during the show.

2 - A production that includes 2 hours worth of lighting special effects that have been very well thought out for a long time to be tailored to certain songs and to happen at different times during the show.

I think it is very clear what type of show U2 puts on. It would be basically impossible for them to change the show up too much. They had 11 guys on spotlights just directly above the stage alone that had to know what was going on. Your talking about 23 songs worth of special effects. That is a lot to take care of even if the show is absolutely identical every night.

To be honest, I don't think it is possible for U2 to put on the type of show that you are wanting, and still maintain the production the give.

Also, when was it that they started to become complacent? 20 years ago? I don't think complacency is the correct way to put it. It is just how the band is. A long time ago they made the decision to put on a "show," not just to play their music. I really think it was a very concious decision to play the way have and do, not because they are getting complacent.

When you do attend this tour, get as close as you can and see how much effort the entire band puts into performing. During Staples 1, Bono changed his shirt twice because it was drenched with sweat. I think the last thing they should be accused of is complacency.

sorry to keep going on about this, just keep thinking of things to say.
trust me you aint gonna convince this guy, he is always gonna come back and argue, let him be dissapointed, but i know in my own heart, that this tour is just kicking arse, and yes you can have your opinion, but i have come to relise i dont care what other people think now, i just know am gonna enjoy the ride without trying to analize every single detail, we will all regret it when they retire

KUEFC09U2 said:
trust me you aint gonna convince this guy, he is always gonna come back and argue, let him be dissapointed, but i know in my own heart, that this tour is just kicking arse, and yes you can have your opinion, but i have come to relise i dont care what other people think now, i just know am gonna enjoy the ride without trying to analize every single detail, we will all regret it when they retire

LOL! What's with this guy? Why does he think he knows me? Can't he see the difference between his approach and Shifty24's?

KUEFC09U2 said:

And you "don't care what other people think" yet you constantly come back to throw in your crappy 2 cents...

KUEFC09U2 was jumping on me in another thread for saying Staples 1 was not a good show. Don't worry, it's nothing personal, even though he writes it as if it were some longstanding beef.

Back to the topic, all in all this tour has been pretty varied for them. I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far. They're not the Dead or some jam band. They're 110 bpm, 4:30 song writing U2.

At first I was disappointed that Pride and SBS are still in the setlist, but they've somehow added a new energy to them. Still sounding a little stale, but they seemed to be giving it passion this time, whereas on the Elevation Tour they went into jukebox mode for those songs.

But it would be great if they could turn it upside down like the Chicago Elevation shows...

With all those lighting effects and sequencers I guess the scope for massive setlist variation is minimal. I used to side on the other side of the argument, nowadays I'm of the opinion there is little wrong with a well thoughtout setlist, with a few variations here and there to keep things interesting, over a setlist that constantly changes and lacks cohesion. Its like a movie, you don't chop up a movie and rearrange it just because your gonna see it for the 2nd time?

They've always done it this way, from the days of Boy to Vertigo. Lovetown was the exception, probably because it wasn't really a real tour, Just some shows downunder and 4 European countries.

Compared to Zoo TV and Popmart, Elevation and this tour are spectacular setlist-wise IMO.

You sound like a fourth grader...."I know in my own heart that this tour is just kicking arse".......Maybe you should use proper grammar also. Relise is spelled realize and analize is analyze, last time I checked. But I respect everyone's opinions, it's just you have to be able to admit when you are wrong. U2 is an awesome band, and they put on a great show....but if you think they are catering to most of their fans by not playing their big hits....and if you think it's 99 percent to 1 percent....That's way too much of a spread.

Shakenotstirred said:

You sound like a fourth grader...."I know in my own heart that this tour is just kicking arse".......Maybe you should use proper grammar also. Relise is spelled realize and analize is analyze, last time I checked. But I respect everyone's opinions, it's just you have to be able to admit when you are wrong. U2 is an awesome band, and they put on a great show....but if you think they are catering to most of their fans by not playing their big hits....and if you think it's 99 percent to 1 percent....That's way too much of a spread.
wow i think this thread has turned into the new boys bash U2 thread ohhh wait i sound like a fourth grader again

oh well shit happens

I hope the starter of this tread realizes that a lot of the songs that are thrown in haven't been played since before some of the auidence was born. If you had to play With or Without You on average everynight for 2 or 3 years straight, then I think you would want to vary it up as well. And now they've been doing that in cycles for 20 years. I will Follow's been played at nearly every U2 show since the beginning, with the exception of Zoo TV. For the last 26 years. I love Bad as much as everyone, but that's one of the harder ones to Bono to do, and it always was. Even in the beginning of the unforgettable Fire tour, if you read the reviews, the wide awakes were always the hardest part of the shows for him. Certain songs need breaks before coming back for full impact. Think how happy you'll if the show you go is the one of how knows how many they play a certain song. The Ocean hasn't been played for 23 years. I'm 24. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart hasn't been played for 21 years. Gloria, and Electric Co. haven't been played for 15 years. And IMO they should play all of the new album (inc. Fast Cars) just because they are trying to prove that they are in The Hall of Fame, and still coming up with good stuff. I love rotating sets too, but keep in mind that we ae not even at the 10th show yet. From all the rehearsel stuff I've read, there are plenty of surprises on the way. So stay tuned.

I'd also like to say that although I don't think it was meant as an insult as much as it sounded, Adam's playing has grown by leaps and bounds. If you've heard the original of version of Twilight for example you can hear him fall on his face. And yet since Boy, recorded within a year later, I've never heard him do anything like that. He experimented with the slap style, decided he prefers the smooth finger sound instead, and really come into his own, never playing more or less then the song requires. He doesn't try to Flea or Claypool out his style, and serves the songs perfectly. And as the only "clean" member of U2, I doubt his memory is the issue. They seem to have their favorites over the years, and they want to play a good show for a lot of people and not trainwreck. I've tried to 25 songs up to speed with my own band before, and that's hard. There's always something that someone isn't feeling.

I'd love it if they played the whole new album, and 3 songs from every album also. But they have my respect enough to know that if they're not playing something, I'm sure there is a good reason behind it. Or at the very least a reason.

Back
Top Bottom