Who thinks The Vertigo(EuropeLeg) tour will be a bigger spectacle than ZOO TV/Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
It does looks like it's going to be pretty huge and I have only ever seen Popmart before so
I just wanna see what people feel...

ummmm mr edges plec, dont u mean on the same scale as popmart? :wink:

no way it wont be anywhere near as big as either :(

I WANT ZOO TV 2!

Zoo TV was more about the theatrics than the stage necessarily. (IMO) Vertigo is just like elevation in that it's really just about performing the songs the best they can will some fantastic lighting (that part is better than Elevation though) to enhance the feeling of the music. Zoo TV was a spectacle because of the costumes, the alter ego's, the movie montages, and the goosestepping ;) Will the stage be bigger than Zoo TV's stage? Beats me. How big was Zoo TV's stage?

Yeah I think you nailed it there Lance - the Zoo TV / Zooropa concerts were as much about theatrics and spectacle as the music. I'm wary of comparing tours, because they ultimately reflect the album (broadly speaking) and are therefore different each time.

I think that part of the reason that we are all so in awe of Zoo TV, was that it was such a departure from what had gone before. U2 aside, I had been to many concerts beforehand and never EVER seen anything like it in my life. I took a first time concert goer to Zooropa and she was blown away completely.

Elevation reflected an album that was more about intimacy and a return to 4 guys playing music in a room, hence the stripped down (by U2 standards that is) stage sets. The lighting was brilliant, but with the exception of "The Fly" and "Bullet", was subtle enough to be unobtrusive while still enhancing the concert.

I think that Vertigo will be a stunning show and judging by the stage photos now appearing, the Europeans are in for a night to remember.

Spot on there Steve c.I also think that with the internet that we know just what to expect(the latest pictures of the Brussels stage set up) whereas with zooropa i did'nt have a clue what to expect and was amazed at the size of it all.

No way it will be as big and complex as the Zoo TV stage.

By the photos it will be huge... but not as big or as good as ZOO TV .

Zoo TV will never be topped. It's history. It's a mark in the music scene.

stevec said:
It's subjective Squire - not everyone will think that way.

Agree. I think Popmart was the very top. And I think it's way too soon to say what Vertigo will give us here in Europe. If they wanted to top Popmart or Zoo, they could, but maybe that's just not the point for them right now.

But it sure looks cool! Looks high-tec

Last edited:
I doubt it since it doesn't seem like their purpose is trying to top ZooTV and/or PopMart when it comes to stage design, lighting, and theatrics. I like it for what it is and I like ZooTV and PopMart for what they were.

I think it has the potential to beat ZooTV and Popmart.. the combination of a more spontanious / flexible show (Zoo and Popmart rarely deviated from night to night) and this stunning stage, with 2005 show effects.

I'm sooo exited!

Lancemc said:
Zoo TV was more about the theatrics than the stage necessarily. (IMO) Vertigo is just like elevation in that it's really just about performing the songs the best they can will some fantastic lighting (that part is better than Elevation though) to enhance the feeling of the music. Zoo TV was a spectacle because of the costumes, the alter ego's, the movie montages, and the goosestepping ;) Will the stage be bigger than Zoo TV's stage? Beats me. How big was Zoo TV's stage?

Great post Lance cudnt agree more!!!:wink:

More people on this site live in the past instead of embrassing the future...bring on the new stage!

Yahweh said:
More people on this site live in the past instead of embrassing the future...bring on the new stage!

Yeah sure... U2 in their last 2 albums prove your theory definately... :laugh:

What is wrong with the last 2 albums? What do you expect U2 to be doing DJing at your local club? This is a rock band that has spoiled the fans rotton by pushing and streaching the limits of what rock can be, and now that they have went back to just playing the 4 interments in a more classic sense they get bashed for it...give me a break.

Yahweh said:
What is wrong with the last 2 albums? What do you expect U2 to be doing DJing at your local club? This is a rock band that has spoiled the fans rotton by pushing and streaching the limits of what rock can be, and now that they have went back to just playing the 4 interments in a more classic sense they get bashed for it...give me a break.

That's funny because you were criticising us for living in the past, but that is exactly what U2 are doing.

So you are contradicting yourself because by your post i can presume you actually LIKE the last 2 albums. I think you should clear your mind.

So do you want to go back or go forward? :laugh:

Last edited:
as much as i like the new stage (im very suprised because i thought it might be a cheap ripoff of the first leg, but it looks really good!), you cannot TOP ZooTV/Zooropa because ZooTV/Zooropa was perfection!!!

The monstrosity/complexity of the stage, cars hanging around as spotlights, massive screens and small television sets around the stage...it was a massive thing and state of the art...

Popmart, it tried to be bigger than ZooTV, but it was even too big for the band...

Vertigo, again, I like the stage probably more than Popmart. But it's no match for ZooTV/Zooropa...

But we shall wait and judge after the tour, its not fair to already "critizise" it...

Here's hoping U2 bring a stadium tour to Australia. That Vertigo stage looks great. I like it when U2 show off:)

This show can never top Popmart ór Zoo-TV because these shows/stages had a concept! The music at both these tours were made for that tour and that tout was made for the music. It was all thought out years in advance!

This stage is big of course and it wíll be a great spectacle. I just have the feeling that it's rushed! Willie had only a couple of wééks to come up with a design... It just looks to 'flat' to me!

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zoo-TV ánd Popmart were top of the bill back then! This Vertigo stage is something that Bon Jovi of the Stones can pull of with ease! Popmart and Zoo-TV were só big back then... It was never been seen!

So my 3 thoughts :

- I'm happy i'ts not just a bigger version of the arena stage
- I'm a bit disappointed on the design.. It seems rushed to me
- With today's technology it's a nice stage.. But Popmart and Zoo were MUCH larger (in many ways)

Neilz said:
This show can never top Popmart ór Zoo-TV because these shows/stages had a concept! The music at both these tours were made for that tour and that tout was made for the music. It was all thought out years in advance!

This stage is big of course and it wíll be a great spectacle. I just have the feeling that it's rushed! Willie had only a couple of wééks to come up with a design... It just looks to 'flat' to me!

Another thing to keep in mind is that Zoo-TV ánd Popmart were top of the bill back then! This Vertigo stage is something that Bon Jovi of the Stones can pull of with ease! Popmart and Zoo-TV were só big back then... It was never been seen!

So my 3 thoughts :

- I'm happy i'ts not just a bigger version of the arena stage
- I'm a bit disappointed on the design.. It seems rushed to me
- With today's technology it's a nice stage.. But Popmart and Zoo were MUCH larger (in many ways)
you havent even seen what the stage can do yet?

KUEFC09U2 said:
you havent even seen what the stage can do yet?
It doesn't matter what it can do! I'm sure it can do more then the Zoo-TV and the Popmart stage together! That's the thing with technology..

But why does everybody agree then that Zoo-TV can never be topped? Because it had a good concept and a matching design! The same thing for Popmart...

Again, I'm not saying it's a crappy stage... It has the latest technology and is nothing like the arena stage, so I'm very happy with that!

I just have the feeling that this stage is rushed... It is not a 'Willie' kind of stage... Simple painted PA towering with screens on top? A large led-wall backdrop? Curved extensions to the sides? The design could have been a lot better if Willie (and others) had more time...

2005-06-05-11.jpg

2005-06-05-12.jpg

2005-06-05-06.jpg

Neilz said:

It doesn't matter what it can do! I'm sure it can do more then the Zoo-TV and the Popmart stage together! That's the thing with technology..

But why does everybody agree then that Zoo-TV can never be topped? Because it had a good concept and a matching design! The same thing for Popmart...

Again, I'm not saying it's a crappy stage... It has the latest technology and is nothing like the arena stage, so I'm very happy with that!

I just have the feeling that this stage is rushed... It is not a 'Willie' kind of stage... Simple painted PA towering with screens on top? A large led-wall backdrop? Curved extensions to the sides? The design could have been a lot better if Willie (and others) had more time...
well what else could they have done? theres simply nothing else,

I think the design is very good. Of course ZooTV can be topped (in my opinion they topped it with popmart - which had a even more ironic and genious concept). It just depends on who is experiencing it.
But this stage looks awesome. It's sooo U2.
It just looks ... heavy.

KUEFC09U2 said:
well what else could they have done? theres simply nothing else,
Technically the show will be awesome.. But the design could have been better I think.. Stacking the PA with screens on top is weird (imo)... Why not hanging the PA on top (in a rounder way) with the screens haning under there? Why using the back of the arena stage, while the stadium stage is much wider?

I don't know, it just seems rushed to me.. And Willie and Mark could have done a much better job when given more time...

I think it looks amazing... just wait until they turn that monster on.

Back
Top Bottom