Who else thinks that the rehearsal didn't reveal the ENTIRE show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
From what I've read so far about the reviews it sounded like U2 were aware of how fast information moves through the internet.

Hell, if it were my band I would've probablt kept something for Monday.

I am very surprised that City of Blinding Lights is the opener. Also, I'm thinking they'll include WOWY on Monday.

What do you think will change on Monday from the details provided?

yeah i would have thought they'd keep some things for Monday.

Id be suprised if WOWY isnt played, but Im loving the set lists for rehersal, this tour is going to be something else :up:

After the rehearsal all was quiet around the Sporta Arena for about 2 hours or so. I'm assuming the band was watching the taping of the night's rehearsal. After those 2 hours or so they started rehearsing again and didn't leave the venue until 2 am. The rehearsal actually started just a bit after 6pm. They rehearsed a number of songs later in the night...one was With or Without You. Maybe we'll hear it on Monday.

Yes, more songs were rehearsed after the show. Some of the songs in addition to With or Without You were:

The Fly
Bullet The Blue Sky w/ snipppet of Hands That Built America at end
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
Elevation

These are the songs I remember. There may be a couple of others too that I'm not remembering at the moment.

If you look at the setlist from the rehearsal show for the Elevation tour, it didn't differ dramatically from the actual first night, 20 songs for the rehearsal, 22 from the opening night (11 O'Clock Tick Tock being played at the rehearsal and not on opening night, I Will Follow, The Sweetest Thing, and Streets appearing on opening night but not during the rehearsal). With the exception of one of two song placement shifts, what you saw during the rehearsal was what you got on opening night. While the first three shows had some variations, the fourth show was the first show to repeat a setlist from an earlier gig. And the first 9 songs from that rehearsal show were also played in the exact order on opening night (compared to the foursome from Popmart's rehearsal that appeared in order on opening night).

So if this holds true, then my pick of Vertigo for the opener goes down the drain. When you look at it, either Vertigo or COBL are great show openers ("Hello Hello" and "Oh you look so beautiful tonight"...and maybe it's even better to have a majestic start this time as opposed to a bombastic one...I'll take either though :) ).

Opening night's always a bit rough. I was at Springsteen's opener in Jersey on the Rising tour and it was pretty haggard at best, if not impassioned. The tweaks came right after for a more cohesive performance on that "Barnstorming" tour of his. Even though he was literally repeating setlists song for song until later in that month, the show itself was already polished, fine tuned machine within a few shows' time.

I think you opening nighters have the advantage of seeing the show for the very first time. That alone is awesom. Given U2's history, give 'em a few shows as well. Once they become confident as to how the older stuff can be integrated with the new, this tour's gonna be outstanding.

Last edited:
I don't think, but I hope...

Until The End Of The World (I'm such a moaner, I know.)

im not a huge fan of this setlist. granted i havent heard it, but i dont think it flows nice, and alot of classics are missing (to me, anyways) I think they're going to be tweaking with it for a few shows before they finally settle in to a solid setlist. As for the rehearsal, yes, i think some songs are missing

i think the rare classics need to be added back moreso than the common classics, ie: love is blindness, exit, dirty day, electrical storm, discotheque, please

i think those gonna be the songs of the first shows, maybe they will change something during the tour, but the rehearsed list might be the a well 95% of the san diego gig

COBL is the opener, I have said it for the last week but everyone kept holding onto Vertigo.

Could Vertigo open at some point? Sure, but they have the set worked out for City as the opener and they have since Vancouver. I think its the Elevation, Mofo, Zoo Station of this tour. At least for the first week or so. ;)

One thing I think is likely, WOWY will be played and as rumoured be the transition to Streets. The reason why I think it was not played is because they both knew how to play it already well enough, and didn't wish to blow the suprise of that pivotal moment of the show in a dress rehearsal.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm sold that there will be at least 3 rotating set lists... and i'm sure they held back a few tricks and doohickies from the staging from the dress rehersal... like the band emerging from a giant easter egg with bono dressed as the easter bunny

I thought Bono would have tested the bunny suit last night, so it must not be ready yet!!

I agree about the setlist part in that there are going to be different versions. They are playing 5 nights in NY in a week, they have to mix it up somewhat. I dont know if it will be specific Setlist 1, Setlist 2, Setlist 3, but I think they have variations worked out for specific songs. IE, Gloria substituted with NY Day, etc.

Last edited:
They are holding back for sure ... there is now way the boys would show there cards TWO DAYS before opening night. They haven't been forthcoming at all thus far. Before elevation we had pics provided by u2.com of the stage and band playing, and we knew a lot more about the production. There was a video of edge and adam talking about the tour, etc. I find it hard to believe the band has dealt there hand this early in the game. Expect more Monday night from San Diego.

Final Rehearsals are suppose to be just that, a FINAL rehearsal of the complete setlist, they may add a song or 2 or change the positions of songs but what you will see tomorrow will esentially be what has been reported about last night.

One thing that is surprising me is there was no acoustic set last night, nothing at the tip of the 'egg'... and i would not be surprised if an acoustic set was added

I agree with u2rulesmyworld. This was a final rehearsal that will be very similar to opening night. Also keep in mind that the whole national media will be there Monday and they are not going to take any chances.

I think Headache is correct about multiple setlists...however the opening song will be the opening song for 95% of the tour if not 100%. U2 usually don't change it up that much. The only time they did it on the Elevation Tour was the Notre Dame show. Zoo TV/Popmart never changed.

Wow are they really closing with "40" again? Wow....:drool:

i know the history of their setlists, and they way the rehearsals for elevation was almost the exact same as the setlist for opening night, but i still think monday will be fairly different if not a totally different setlist. this setlist, while great to me, seems very much tailored to the diehard fans- perfect for a rehearsal with contest winners. i think it will change, and if not for monday then the second show will be very different. i could be way off, but i still somewhat shocked and suprised if this is the regular setlist. i really think we will see some different things. i get cobl as opener and think it will be some- but i seriously doubt this will be the staple opener the whole tour, (at least i hope not) with everything they have been rehearsing i just don't think that won't change it some.

Alas, no Until The End Of The World!!!
An Cat Dubh/Stuck In A Moment/Yahweh instead? I mean, what is that?

This will be a similar setlist to what we'll see on Monday night. Looks good to me, but I think they need to spread out the new stuff and mix it better with some old hits.

Then on Tuesday, they will rehearse what will become known as SETLIST B, and use it for Wednesday's show. It will be significantly different. Makes me wish I was going to all 4 Chicago shows instead of just 1. Stupid Chicago being 6 hours from home and having a damn job to do that won't allow me to take off a week.

God Part III said:
Alas, no Until The End Of The World!!!
An Cat Dubh/Stuck In A Moment/Yahweh instead? I mean, what is that?

UTEOTW is one of my favorite live tracks ever. However it was played at every ZooTV, Zooropa, PopMart and Elevation gig. It was the highlight of the Rock & Roll Hall of Game gig.

An Cat Dubh hasn't been played in 21 years. Yahweh is a brand new song. Stuck was only played on the Elevation tour.

I'm CERTAIN that U2 will play End of the World at some point.
Stop freaking out.

BrownEyedBoy said:
One more thing, is it just me, but according to the setlist, U2 have completely neglected Zooropa? WTF? :madspit:

I love Zooropa but didn't they neglect the entire album on the PopMart tour too? Sure they did.
And haven't they been working on Lemon in Vancouver? Sure they have.
Be patient.

i wasn't at the rehearsal, but from what i've heard of the show is that it wasn't the spectacle (the $1.3 million a night) concert. i think that there will be a bigger production and different songs played. we can't really speculate till tomorrow.

u2warlp said:
i wasn't at the rehearsal, but from what i've heard of the show is that it wasn't the spectacle (the $1.3 million a night) concert. i think that there will be a bigger production and different songs played. we can't really speculate till tomorrow.

Remember, that high cost was for European shows, and just from one paper anyway. I still doubt that report.

Last edited:
the suspense is getting intense huh? Some people say nothing will change from the rehearsal gig, while others believe major changes and suprises will be unleashed tonight....Only time will tell.

May 18th can't get here soon enough !

Arrrghhhh suspense.

I am willing to bet a lot that there were definitely tricks and treats held back. I would say mostly from the staging / lighting / audio aspect.

Now for the setlist, remember, there is no reason for the bamd to play every song in one rehersal that they will play over the tour. Some songs will come along the way, some will go, but I would guess that they would want to rehearse some songs that they just do not have 'down' yet. Others that they have nailed, I am sure will be played tonight...

Back
Top Bottom