Who do you think is the best Vertigo Tour Support Act so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Who do you is the best Vertigo Tour Support Act so far?

Mine is The Killers - amazing band.
Glad to have seen them at the 1st Amsterdam show.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Every opener has been crap. (At least those I know - a couple in Europe I haven't heard of. But bands like the Kings Of Scheiße and The Killers are dross.)

For goodness' sake U2, get a good band to open for you. Porcupine Tree have an album out this year. Oh, wait, PT would blow U2 off the stage. Scratch that idea.

Kings of leon is the best opener so far.

Its all a matter of opnion. U2 at least get a wide range of support acts, which means its going to be very hit and miss for most people.

Axver said:

For goodness' sake U2, get a good band to open for you. Porcupine Tree have an album out this year. Oh, wait, PT would blow U2 off the stage. Scratch that idea.

Blow u2 off the stage if you like god awful overblown, totally self indulgent garbage. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but i would think PT is going to have very little cross over appeal with U2 fans in general. Not sure in what way they would blow U2 off the stage- being pretentious maybe?

Snow Patrol were great, except they made the mistake of moving all their best crowd-pleasing songs to the start of their set.

Can't forget Franz or Razorlight either. I didn't see them support U2 but I have seen both of them twice before. Franz put on a good, tight show and Razorlight are just awesome ^_^

jphelmet said:
Blow u2 off the stage if you like god awful overblown, totally self indulgent garbage. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but i would think PT is going to have very little cross over appeal with U2 fans in general. Not sure in what way they would blow U2 off the stage- being pretentious maybe?

Haha, get a clue. Pretentious? How about talented musicians who make intelligent music? If you want to call a band pretentious, go look up some of that 'indie' shit.

PT would blow U2 off stage simply because they're better musicians. Vertigo and Elevation would sound rather empty after The Sound Of Muzak or Piano Lessons.

Axver said:

PT would blow U2 off stage simply because they're better musicians. Vertigo and Elevation would sound rather empty after The Sound Of Muzak or Piano Lessons.

Be realistic, the reaction to porcupine tree opening for u2 would simply be no one would care. You are kidding yourself if you think that YOUR favorite band would make U2 sound rather "empty". Your thinking that great musicians oepning for U2 would make them look band. It simply would not- just like when Primus opened for U2. Did it make U2 sound awful or empty? Absolutely not. Did people think after listening to Les Claypool , "oh my God - i never noticed that Adam isn't the greatest techinical bass player"- absolutely not. It would be the exact same if your favorite band opened. It would be you and maybe two other guys in the arena thinking that U2 now sounds "empty".

My favourite band is actually U2.

So yeah, if you can't even get that right, I can't be bothered addressing your post.

Snow Patrol!! :drool:

And Dashboard Confessional was not bad :reject: Then again, I may have other reasons for saying that :shifty:

Axver said:
Every opener has been crap. (At least those I know - a couple in Europe I haven't heard of. But bands like the Kings Of Scheiße and The Killers are dross.)

Can I ask why all of the openers have been crap according to you, yet Porcupine Tree would obviously trump them all? It's your opinion Axver, not indisputable fact...let's not lose sight of that.

In MY opinion, I think Snow Patrol, Interpol and The Killers are great live bands. :shrug: In fact, I just saw Interpol and The Killers at a big festival here in NYC last night. I guess that makes my taste of music dross, as you say.

HelloAngel said:

In fact, I just saw Interpol and The Killers at a big festival here in NYC last night. I guess that makes my taste of music dross, as you say.

Hey, I was at the same festival last night, it was a good one! Shame it wasn't better attended, although it did make for a more intimate feel for those of us who were there. :)

Axver said:
My favourite band is actually U2.

So yeah, if you can't even get that right, I can't be bothered addressing your post.

... Oh, wait, PT would blow U2 off the stage. Scratch that idea.

Make up your mind. Your the one that said they would blow U2 off the stage.

I wouldn't address it either because its an indefensible position. (and if you U2 is your favorite band, you know that :wink: )

there have been some great bands that opened for u2 this year.

the killers are awesome, franz ferdinand is good, Interpol is an amazing band.

There's some good ones on the third leg as well, Damien Marley has a pretty good album.

At the same time, there have been some bad ones, which I guess get looked at more.

My favorite band is the one from the Jetsons that sang, "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah! Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah! That means I love you!" :rockon:

:wink:

is this Porcupine Tree work downloading from itunes then? and if yes what songs should i look out for?

andyuk said:
is this Porcupine Tree work downloading from itunes then? and if yes what songs should i look out for?

I already looked on iTunes andyuk. There are only 2 choices, an EP, Lazarus, and an album Absentia (I think that's what it was called) so if you find out more will you PM me please?

My best supports this tour were Athlete for their ability to hold a stadium crowd, the very young Kaiser Chiefs for their supreme energy and Keane for having their own fan following, banners and a fantastic set. @ Axver, don't discount all of these talented musicians. They may just surprise you.

1stOne said:

I already looked on iTunes andyuk. There are only 2 choices, an EP, Lazarus, and an album Absentia (I think that's what it was called)

lol.

HelloAngel said:

Can I ask why all of the openers have been crap according to you, yet Porcupine Tree would obviously trump them all? It's your opinion Axver, not indisputable fact...let's not lose sight of that.

Well, I've made my opinion on the Kings Of Scheiße very clear on these forums - I'm always willing to give a band a chance, but when vocals resembling the wailing of a demented pig drive me to play paper-scissors-rock to stay awake during their set, then I know a band's terrible.

The Killers totally put me off with their lyrics. I consider "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" to be the single worst lyric ever written, and while that's just one line, the rest of the songs I've heard by them seem to be poorly written too. Sure, U2 have Party Girl, but for every Party Girl, you've got ten Sunday Bloody Sundays.

Keane generally sound pretty uninspired to me but I'd tolerate them, I cannot believe Kanye West will be opening shows, Franz Ferdinand are frankly over-rated, and bands like Razorlight and Snow Patrol haven't impressed me yet.

Back
Top Bottom