Which would you prefer- Teleprompter or Solid Shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nurse chrissi said:
I think that might be a form of brainwashing on Bono's part - yesterday I heard Vertigo on the radio and I caught myself singing sparkle :reject:

I always sing sparkle now, and it bothers me to no end.:|

I think the imperfections and unexpected little problems during a show are part of what can make an experience great - so long as there aren't a crazy number of such events, of course!

I'm with the large majority here, in that I'm amazed they're able to remember the lyrics to all these songs as often as they do without screwing it up. Especially when they're pulling out some of these rarer songs.

kellyahern said:

I know.:|

All kidding aside, I must be the least demanding person of all time. None of the mistakes I've seen them make have bothered me in the least. In fact the shows I've seen where there was spontenaity and mistakes were made were my most enjoyable.

Can someone say OOTS at Boston II. Edge totally bungled the piano part to the point where Bono finally sang "Sorry Edge I didn't warn you" during the song. That was almost my favorite part of that show. :huh:

Utoo said:

The only reason we know all the lyrics is that every time we sing along with a cd, we've got him singing in the background. Take out his voice & you'll probably only know the lyrics to half the songs you think you do.

That`s such a good point - I can hardly remember *any* U2 lyrics when someone pulls out a guitar and starts playing without any vocals...

Perfection doesn't exist, and I actually enjoy the spontanaiety. It's entertaining, doesn't bother me at all, and I think Bono is such a good entertainer and front man/spokesperson that he can handle anything that could go wrong with humor and professionalism (even his "F" bombs are hysterical to me). I say no to the teleprompter. :down:

Carek1230 said:
Perfection doesn't exist, and I actually enjoy the spontanaiety. It's entertaining, doesn't bother me at all, and I think Bono is such a good entertainer and front man/spokesperson that he can handle anything that could go wrong with humor and professionalism (even his "F" bombs are hysterical to me). I say no to the teleprompter. :down:
when was the last time you seen bono look at it for a whole song? also i belive fast cars wasnt even on the official setlist from yesterday so surley thats spontanaiety for you

Re: Walk On, he only needed the lyrics sheet for the really repetitive bit at the end. I've listened to it loads of times and I've never been able to do anything but mumble my way through it! For what was a completely spontaneous song [as in 1-2hrd before the show, I heard], I think they did pretty well with it!

teleprompter is good for a couple of songs a night as long as they aren't mainstay songs.. i'd like to see bono walk around the ellipse more, jump around, etc for songs that they play often.. he seems too nervous to do that this tour or something... :huh: ... or maybe he only jumps around and stuff when they do the DVD shoots?

At Toronto 3 Bono was jumping around quite a bit but he didn't walk around the ellipse too much

bcrt2000 said:
teleprompter is good for a couple of songs a night as long as they aren't mainstay songs.. i'd like to see bono walk around the ellipse more, jump around, etc for songs that they play often.. he seems too nervous to do that this tour or something... :huh: ... or maybe he only jumps around and stuff when they do the DVD shoots?

At Toronto 3 Bono was jumping around quite a bit but he didn't walk around the ellipse too much
just depends on what mood he is in i guess, or if the crowd at the tip are a little too "rowdy", there have been shows were he has been out there alot, pretty much the same as the elevation tour, i have a boot where he only made one trip around the heart and that was during streets,

oh no sorry they had the accoustic session aswell but that was it

bcrt2000 said:

It depends....Bono has had a lot of back trouble the past year...i think that factors in to him maybe not running as round as much:shrug:

I think the mistakes are rather endearing... like Bono having to get a lyrics sheet for Walk On, I think that's hilarious!! Now if he did that ALL THE TIME I'd be annoyed, but forgetting lyrics sometimes - who cares??

I prefer sparkle to twinkle :wink:

Carek1230 said:

I agree, I find it funny when they mess up. I have a great eleveation boot where in bad, bono messes up and just repeatedly sings isolation, instead of the other lines.

ramblin rose said:

I always sing sparkle now, and it bothers me to no end.:|

my album lyrics say "sparkle" but obviously as we all know the album has "twinkle" which makes me wonder which is actually the "error"?
maybe sparkle always was first choice and bono got confused when they recorded it and now he's just making up for it.

sparkle is better though

digsy said:

my album lyrics say "sparkle" but obviously as we all know the album has "twinkle" which makes me wonder which is actually the "error"?
maybe sparkle always was first choice and bono got confused when they recorded it and now he's just making up for it.

sparkle is better though

Ah the twinkle/sparkle controversy widens. I never actually read the lyrics to Vertigo. Good point here. In other words its possible that Bono actually screwed up the recorded song and has been singing the correct lyrics to Vertigo all along.

Sorry Bono, I shouldn't have doubted you, you were just trying to right a wrong.:hug:

Partyslammer said:

Plus, any visuals have to be worked out as well to enhance the perfomrance.

I'm a bit disturbed by this line. Do we actually NEED visuals to enhance our enjoyment of hte concert experience?? As I and other people have mentioned in other threads, we would prefer if U2, IF they were to ever tour Australia again, to not bring their whizzband stage show with them.

1. It would be cheaper for them.
2. I believe just listening and watching them perform music would be enough.
3. Do people believe audiences won't go to concerts if they don't get the whole amazing stage show, flashy screen and lights and the whole box of tricks?:huh:

Back
Top Bottom