which song or songs will close the concerts in the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Walk On close the Elevation Tour? I'm thinking the band will hopefully change it up a bit so that the new tour doesn't feel like Elevation Part 2 at the end.

OK folks, here's the pattern of closers;

Pre-War tours (pre-1983): typically The Ocean. I must note this was not always the case.

War to Lovetown (1983-1990): 40. Occasionally other songs closed, but that was VERY uncommon (i.e. With Or Without You at a few Lovetown shows, such as 4 November 1989, Christchurch).

ZooTV (1992-1993): Love Is Blindness, then Can't Help Falling In Love With You.

Popmart (1997-1998): This had more variety than people think. Wake Up Dead Man was a common closer, but I don't think it even closed a majority of shows. One closed some, 40 closed four, Mothers Of The Disappeared closed the South American shows, and other songs like Unchained Melody occasionally showed up.

Elevation (2001): Walk On at every show.

So what does that tell you? Don't bet on a new song. We all know 40 will close U2's last concert ever, but besides that ... it's anyone's guess. Who would have thought Love Is Blindness would be a closer? Who would have suggested Walk On? A continuation of Walk On will not make it seem like Elevation Part II in my opinion, especially considering it is a very good closer. However, I do not think it will remain as a closer (or even in the setlist unless a catastrophe occurs in the world).

My bet? It's always safe to bet on 40. After all, it's the best concert closer ever performed by anyone.

Last edited:
actually i would like a very rock song to close the concerts, U2 always close in a low way, seeming playing lullabies, how would you imagine songs like the fly, end of the world, hold me thrill me kiss me kill me, real thing or even elevation ore streets(!) closing the nights? just to leave a trace of fire, it leaves more effects, you know heavy guitar solos or drum solos, songs pulled until collapsing.........(is it u2?)! :wink:

I actually don't think it would make an effective closer. Yes, it leaves a powerful impression, but the crowd are hungry for more and it doesn't adequately show that the concert has concluded. Softer songs ease the crowd and the band out of the concert and leave a more beautiful impression.

afetr a "hard" song you dont feel like its closed and the concert wont be as good as with an easy song

Axver said:
I actually don't think it would make an effective closer. Yes, it leaves a powerful impression, but the crowd are hungry for more and it doesn't adequately show that the concert has concluded. Softer songs ease the crowd and the band out of the concert and leave a more beautiful impression.

it shouldn't be just a song, why not 3-4 songs? last year when i went to a deep purple gig they finished playing smoke on the water, black night, hush and most of all highway star and the drummer ian paice did a tremendous solo! we've submerged them at the end of the show with an ocean of applauses! i'm not comparing u2 with deep purple, different genres and different musicians, and u2 took equally their applauses, but i think u2 have more then a song to make a big rush ending a concert, so, u2 ends everytime lower contrary as the rest of the show...why not try to be harder for a time? you know, just my wish :wink:

Babyman, do you mean all of the songs were played as one, like a medley, or it was an encore set? For example, U2 closed Popmart with what was a pretty upbeat final encore set: HMTMKMKM --> Mysterious Ways ---> One --> Wake Up Dead Man (Yes, it varied, but that was a typical closing set).

they played already the songs during the concert, and then in the end they made a sort of reprise medley, the place came down, steve morse went on flying on solos and ian paice was hitting the hell out! it was a tremendous final, ok, it's a hard rock band :wink:

babyman said:
actually i would like a very rock song to close the concerts, U2 always close in a low way, seeming playing lullabies, how would you imagine songs like the fly, end of the world, hold me thrill me kiss me kill me, real thing or even elevation ore streets(!) closing the nights? just to leave a trace of fire, it leaves more effects, you know heavy guitar solos or drum solos, songs pulled until collapsing.........(is it u2?)! :wink:

Who would've thunk it?

babyman got it right ;)

Yeh, yeh, yeh, I was having a laugh reading the older posts - especially the rumours - but thought this one deserved a round of :applaud:

babyman should apply to be on the band's tour crew!!!

I predict it will be a rotating closer between 40, Bad, their religious sendoff from the new album entitled 'Teddy Bears Goodnight', or a cover of Spinal Tap's 'Cups and Cakes'.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
:scratch: i guess babyman got it right for europe... but the majority of the shows overall have been closed with 40

You're right, but what a prediction!!!

I wonder if babyman's got any lottery numbers in mind???

The numbers I tend to use are 4 8 15 16 23 42 ;)

I'm hoping fo Vertigo to close the show in NZ.

It was brilliant in stadiums over the summer :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

o...kay...

spinning-wheels.jpg

Now I'm REALLY confusing you ;)

(who said 'off topic')

Axver said:

Elevation (2001): Walk On at every show.

not true, Turin 7-21-01

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Kite, Gone, New York, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, In My Life/Stuck in a Moment, In a Little While, Desire, Stay, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly

Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On/Hallelujah, Pride (In the Name of Love), Out of Control

I think the next tour should use a song from the next album as a closer. I think that gives the tour an identity of its own.
As for upbeat versus downbeat...after w finished with Vertigo in Europe we all went out on a super high - it was amazing! On the other hand, a calm closer is soothing and classy.

40 needs to go back into retirement, next tour just close with some new song off their new album

The best closer for me was/is LIB :drool: , but second fave has to be Vertigo.

Both these tracks leave you with 'something' when the concert ends - whereas "40" just leaves me empty!

Walk On was okay-ish, but never a closer - even though Bono's ad-libbing over the finish always sounded good!

PopMart closers were pretty lame considering the shows were :drool: One left you feeling sad whereas other snippeted songs were a bit 'whatever'.

A 'closer' should always leave you thinking WOW!

It would be amusing to see Axver's face at the last ever U2 concert when Bono counts "unos, dos, tres, catorce!"

U2mixer said:

You're right, but what a prediction!!!

I wonder if babyman's got any lottery numbers in mind???

The numbers I tend to use are 4 8 15 16 23 42 ;)

I'm considering to leave university to join u2's crew, but if they want me they should know I want a shitload of money!
:wink:
Play this lottery numbers
5 10 19 23 34 40

I will send you my adress, when you win I want my part!

:wink:

God Part III said:
It would be amusing to see Axver's face at the last ever U2 concert when Bono counts "unos, dos, tres, catorce!"

:lmao:

I think the last ever U2 concert should close with Red Light :rockon:

They'll finally make a good closer, so they don't have to pull another Popmart.

It was good to see "40" again after a long while but I wouldn't be disappointed to see it go. I certainly don't think it's the band's best closer.

To me, Bad would win that contest any day. Same level of sentimentality as 40, but as the band's masterpiece it really puts an exclamation mark on the show.

nuke126 said:

not true, Turin 7-21-01

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Kite, Gone, New York, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, In My Life/Stuck in a Moment, In a Little While, Desire, Stay, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly

Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On/Hallelujah, Pride (In the Name of Love), Out of Control

I got that bootleg. After Walk on, he says: "we can't go home" and then they play Pride and Out of control. That's a strange one ;)

Back
Top Bottom