Which is the best concert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanGirl

The Fly
This question is for those of you who have been to more than one concert in the same city (on the same tour).

If U2 play a few concerts in one city, which is most likely to be the best show? Does the first or last show always seem to be the best? Or are the guys pretty consistent and every show is as good as the next??

I hope I have made sense! lol

generally, the first show in a city gets the more "standard" setlist, while the last show has more setlist variation and surprises.

there was no show in new york on the 12th.

umm my favorite show was toronto 4 (the last of 4nights in toronto.) i saw toronto 3 and 4, both were cool. boston 6 is probably my second favorite the one with the third encore. i went to all the boston shows.

in new york my favorite show was october 8th. all i want is you, i will follow, original of the species (full band, was pretty rare at the time), fast cars, whos gonna ride your wild horses. i only missed the 10.10 show in new york and saw all the other 7 ones. the ones in november were cool too with instant karma and bad closing.

in philadelphia my favorite show was probably philly 4 where bruce springsteen came and jammed on stage for 10 minutes. they also played fast cars, walk on, and were supposed to play original of the species and bad but didn't.

new jersey i liked the first show better, but they were both good, thats only because of the sweet 40 drum solo into vertigo x2. that was bitchin'.

then the other shows i saw were one city, hartford and buffalo.

so i liked toronto 4 the best thanks to popmuzk-discotheque. new york and boston are tougher to gauge because those were spread out over time, but the 6th show out of 7 in boston was amazing, so was the 7th i was in the ellipse finally, and i actually liked the third out of eight new york shows the best so. and i liked the last philly show the best.

there probably is no point to this post though im pretty tired.

Normally 1st night = boring predictable setlist, but because 99.99% of the crowd get to see them for the first time there's a great release of energy. 2nd night can be shorter as more songs have a habit of being cut then replaced with other songs. 2nd night tends to be more mellow then night 1. 3rd and or final night, anything can happen. If you can only attend one show, always go for that one. Although on the last American leg there was no real last night setlist shakeup. They just played the same setlist every night with one different song alternating between Elevation and ISHFWILF. All the big variation took place in the encores. 40 or Bad? Accoustic or Zoo TV style?

Thanks for your input guys!

The reason I ask is because I had tickets to the 1st Sydney show and then got better tickets for the 2nd show. I sold the first lot because I could only really afford to go to one show. For some reason I am kicking myself now and wish I had kept the tickets to the first show aswell. I feel like I will be 'missing something' and am thinking the first concert will probably be heaps better than the second!

Ah, I dunno... :rolleyes: Just being silly I guess! lol

I think it depends on the leg of the tour. I went to both Anaheim shows and because it was the first week of the tour I think the band was still learning the new songs and experimenting with the set list.

But I would agree that the 2nd night seems to be the one to go to (if you can only go to one show). I think the Las Vegas is a good example. We got a nice variety of songs that weekend.

I'm hoping Hawaii gives us a similar mix (assuming the 2nd show is added).

Hey oceangirl, i got Adelaide cos i Melbourne sold out. I reckon if the concert is anything like Chicago DVD then if will be pretty awesome.

I haven't come across a bad U2 concert set yet.

I hope you have a great night, Sydney has always high energy.

Enjoy yourself.

I just wanna get on stage!!!!!!!:wink:

OceanGirl said:
The reason I ask is because I had tickets to the 1st Sydney show and then got better tickets for the 2nd show. I sold the first lot because I could only really afford to go to one show. For some reason I am kicking myself now and wish I had kept the tickets to the first show aswell. I feel like I will be 'missing something' and am thinking the first concert will probably be heaps better than the second!

i think you did the right thing.

in my experience, the 2nd show is always better -- DC 2 was vastly better than DC 1, just like the best show on the Popmart tour (imho) was the 2nd Boston show ... or was it the third?

first night in a big city, and in Australia, Sydney will be the "biggest" date on the tour (akin to a London or NYC show), they are usually a bit tight and restrained, trying to hit all the marks. the 2nd night there's less tension and it's all much looser and more fun. the 2nd night seems to be more for the "real" fans.

The 1st show isn't always standard. I went to the 12/4 show where they closed with All Because Of You and Fast Cars. :drool:

Also, they played I Will Follow, OOTS, Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW, Stuck and Bad on the 1st night. Not bad. :drool: Yes, I know they played most of those songs every night. But it was my one and only show, so it was special for me. :heart:

daygloeyes2 said:
The 1st show isn't always standard. I went to the 12/4 show where they closed with All Because Of You and Fast Cars. :drool:

Also, they played I Will Follow, OOTS, Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW, Stuck and Bad on the 1st night. Not bad. :drool: Yes, I know they played most of those songs every night. But it was my one and only show, so it was special for me. :heart:

With it being the 3rd show of the 3rd leg in Boston and 6th overall, I don't think it can truly be called the 1st show. Just my opinion. Regardless, the show absolutely kicked ass. :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom