Which band would you prefer to support U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your preferred support act

• Franz Ferdinand

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • Kings of Leon

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Snow Patrol

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Scissor Sisters

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • The Killers

Votes: 63 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to see Keane. Coldplay pundits aside, they put out a fine fine album. Would be a great show.

:wave:Seeing as I started this thread, I should probably mention that I voted for the Killers (quite surprised by their overwhelming popularity in the poll though). With the exception of Kings of Leon though, I'd be fairly delighted with the other bands as well - its just I've had the fortune of seeing them.
Again, I would have included more options here...but I thought it best to limit the choices to the bands that were rumoured or confirmed as support acts.
Another few bands that would really make my day at Hampden/Croke:

The Frames :drool: :drool:
Damien Rice :drool:
Interpol
Flaming Lips
Doves
Counting Crows
Jars of Clay...ok we're getting into longshot territory now.

Aardvark747 said:
(I had however...hoped for Keane):(

Aw...which dates are you attending Aardvark747?

P.S. Not to sound cheeky mate, but how long is your queue of customers now (All I can see under the "Last post" column is your name)?!? :p

SFGAL said:
I hate U2 openers... like someone above said.... its just painful waiting for U2.

Seriously?!? :huh: I guess the pleasure of the anticipation must outweigh the pain of the wait, for me. That is, unless a band like Cosmic Rough Riders are supporting...
:rolleyes::sigh::yawn::banghead::grumpy::barf:

The Killers ARE TERRIBLE live. I've seen them 3 times and all three times I wanted to wretch. First time was free at a festival so no complaints, I do like the record so I gave them two more chances live. They suck doing what they should do better than anything at least in my opinion.

That said, The Roots should be opening. Something different from the typical five and dime rock bands that are all over the place these days. However from that list, Kings of Leon are definitely the best out of them.

I was also personally hoping to see Keane. The killers wouldn't be bad if we have to chose from the list.

Did anybody ever see Smash Mouth open for U2 on Popmart?! That was torture.:drool:

bonosleftone said:
The Killers ARE TERRIBLE live. They suck doing what they should do better than anything at least in my opinion.

:(Man...I was really looking forward to seeing them live, but now you got me worried. What's so crap about their live act, when their album is so exciting?

Hey corner, I don't have the new Doves, but I've heard clips of the new tunes on their Web site — sounds amazing. I'm really digging "Almost Forgot Myself," "Walk in Fire," and "The Storm." So you like Jars? Do you have "Who We Are Instead"? Great album. They have a new one coming out soon — you should check out their site, www.jarsorclay.com and hear songs from "Redemption Songs." Good stuff.
How's Scotland?:wink:

corner said:

:(Man...I was really looking forward to seeing them live, but now you got me worried. What's so crap about their live act, when their album is so exciting?

Theres two things that stuck about me about them live. Firstly is Brandon Flowers cannot sing on key for the life of him. Two of the times I saw them was outdoors and in the afternoon so I kind of wrote them off as outdoor and bla bla bla. However the 3rd time was indoors and a headlining gig and they were just bad. The entire band was off and Flowers sounded like shit because he was not in key. Really bad performance all the way around.

Hell, even listening to their bootlegs you can hear how amateurish they are live.

They are the quintessential "a studio can make anyone sound good" band. They have yet to do anything to prove to me that it was not sheer production that made Hot Fuss sound good.

U2Acrobat8 said:
I was also personally hoping to see Keane. The killers wouldn't be bad if we have to chose from the list.

Did anybody ever see Smash Mouth open for U2 on Popmart?! That was torture.:drool:

Id rather shoot myself in the balls than have to endure Keane.

Smashmouth was excruciating.

U2 need to go back to the Zoo TV days and early Popmart when they had interesting and literally exciting opening acts (Public Enemy, Rage against the Machine, etc) you may not like the acts but at least they brought something to the table.

PJ Harvey was amazing though and the first Elevation show I went to PJ had cancelled and Nelly Furtado opened and she was also good.

:wave: Yay coemgen! I didn't expect anybody would be into the Jars from this forum. I feel :hyper: now - thanks for that mate!
Yep yep yep, "Who we are instead" is a tremendous album. It's probably a close second favourite, behind their debut self-titled album. I've been waiting YEARS for this band to come over to Scotland but its maybe a bit wild o'er in these parts, for a well to do Christian band to risk the trip...:p
Must get the new Doves album as well...:hmm:

Anyways, where you seeing U2 Coemgen this tour Coemgen?

P.S. Sorry for the digression here folks :reject:

too many people on here are dissing kings of leon!!! PLEASE let me tell you that this lot are a class act! they are pretty big here in UK and i would be delighted if Kings of Leon where supporting here in UK!!!!!!!

Yep, I find it kinda strange that they're not getting more votes here andyuk...although I'm not a huge fan myself.
I guess KOL are most popular over here, but the majority of voters on this thread are outwith UK...?

Mullen4Prez said:
Does anyone like the thrills ? :drool:

I'm seeing them in Leeds in 2.5 weeks

I voted Snow Patrol as the only band on there that I really like. Convenient that, because they are playing in the Manchester show I'm going to.

andyuk said:
too many people on here are dissing kings of leon!!! PLEASE let me tell you that this lot are a class act! they are pretty big here in UK and i would be delighted if Kings of Leon where supporting here in UK!!!!!!!

Which show are you going to? They are touring at round about the same time in Britain, so if you're going to London or Manchester think about staying over for a night?

I actually think Kings of Leon sound quite good but thats my take on it. Franz Ferdinand would be good to see too, but definatly nothing at all wrong with Kings of Leon but of course if you are going in with a closed mind it will probably sound like crap no matter what they do.

corner said:

shhhh, dont listen to him!
i saw killers live last weekend and thought they were great, as did a few of my friends who were at the same concert.

killers rock - i want them or snow patrol... no hang on, i'm in the UK - ive got them and snow patrol! :D
yay :hyper:

OK, I've now listened to all of the bands on this list ... and they're all crap. What has happened to music? If this is the state of things ... how abysmally sad!

corner said:
REM as support would be too good to be true. They used to be comparable to U2 in size/popularity (early - mid 90s) but even though the competition is less now, I don't think there's much chance of accepting a support slot.
I'm actually feeling a bit bitter about REM just now. They cancelled their date in Glasgow tonight, cos Mike Mills has the flu. :(:sad::rant:

Ha, tell me bout it. I made an 800 mile round trip for that. But I went and met Idlewild:heart: at Fopp instead, so all was not lost.

evenbetterthan said:
Anyone ever hear of Bell X1, they're an Irish band, absolutely brillliant!!!!!! They'd be such a great support!!! They supported Bon Jovi before, I believe.... :huh:

:up::yes::wink:

Yep, they're a tremendous band alright...I would have loved to see them at the start when Damien Rice was still a band member :drool:

I'd love either The Killers or Scissor Sisters but NO Franz Ferdinand PLEASE!!! :no: :madspit:

I think Jack Johnson (Sitting, Waiting, Wishing) would make a fine opening act for U2.

Back
Top Bottom