Where will the Vertigo tour rank with u2's others tours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah Vertigo Tour, how you will stay with me forever. The fond memories of my first concert last May, and my even fonder memories of rocking out with U2 and Bruce during People Get Ready in Philly last October. What a glorious thing it is and shall always be. Cheers, Vertigo 2005! You rock!

...but you aint no Lovetown.

Popmart
Zootv
Vertigo
Joshua Tree
Unforgetable Fire
Lovetown
Elevation
War
Boy
October

Elevation
War
Vertigo
Joshua Tree
Pop Mart

I've seen them over a span of 22 years (only one show per tour-- didnt make zooTV, Damn!), and all the shows have been great, but the Elevation tour, coming on the heels of September 11, 2001, was just extremely symbolic and meaningful. The music was great in all-- popmart excpeted (I did like Sweet Virginia, though)

My turn?
Of the shows I've seen:

1. ZooTv- Indoor/Outdoor - hands down the winner.

2. Tie - Popmart & Elevation - can't decide between these 2. We saw a wonderful Popmart show mourning the loss of Michael Hutchence
:)sad: but beautiful) and I touched Bono's pants at an Elevation show. :combust:

3. Vertigo - The shows I've seen were GREAT but I kinda felt there was something missing in comparison to the other shows.

KUEFC09U2 said:
but chizip many would argue that the bands performance on both the second and third leg would match if not beat the performances on the elevation tour,imo some fans found some faith in the band becaue of 9/11 and are now claiming they are "poor" because they arent living up to what they did during that time, but yet they have still done what many fans asked for, brining gloria, UTEOTW, mysterious ways etc back into the setlist, and even down to silly things like bono running around, (which he is now running at brake neck speed twice around the ellipse while chasing the egde during UTEOTW), so this is where the band simply cannot win when it comes to touring, they try and ty to please everybody, but they cant, people say drop BTBS, and yes maybe a valid argument, but listening to many bootlegs this tour, that song still gets an amazing cheer

once again thats just my debate for this tour

Stream of consciousness...:drool:

1.Zootv-no question, best shows I'll probably ever see

2.popmart- great show but seeing a concert like that in such a big place feels odd i didn't feel connected. Still as concerts go it was amazing

3.vertigo- I've seen some great shows this tour! Bono's voice sounds great.

4.elevation- I was only able to get to one elevation show so maybe that's why it scores the lowest of the ones I've seen. It just didn't have the energy I expect from a U2 show. Of course it was right after 9/11 and it was emotional for sure.

For me:

1. Zoo TV: revolutionized the way bands tour, and reinvented U2. Zoo-era performances remain my favorite

2. Vertigo: not too much glitz, but the band made up for it with a tremendous amount of emotion. The new songs are all strong live. This is the band aging gracefully. Edge and Adam especially are at their finest on this tour.

3. Popmart: the right tour at the right time for U2--what else could follow Zoo TV, and how else could the band perform the songs off Pop? Also the first time I got to see them live, though from my mid-priced seats, they were the size of ants.

4. Joshua Tree: launched U2 as the biggest band in the world. My first memories of U2 are from this era.

5. Elevation: this tour ranks at the bottom of my list because I really wasn't paying a lot of attention to it as it was happening.

Vertigo and Popmart were close for me. What it came down to was that Edge blew me away on the three shows I saw this fall. While people are bitching about the lack of setlist variety, the quality of each performance has gotten better. The show I saw in the spring was great, but it can't compare with any of the third leg shows I saw.

Zoocoustic said:
1. ZooTV - they will never be this cool again, unfortunately. Could a tour be more mind-blowing, by any band, ever?!?!

they could very easily be that cool again! its a little thing called ZooTV2 :wink:

maybe one day soon ;)

my rank is:

Zoo tv
Popmart/vertigo
elevation
joshua tree
lovetown

quadcaster said:

they could very easily be that cool again! its a little thing called ZooTV2 :wink:

maybe one day soon ;)

my rank is:

Zoo tv
Popmart/vertigo
elevation
joshua tree
lovetown

zootv2 would mean the end of the band.

Chizip said:
i dont think the people who went to the MSG shows would consider them boring as hell

the third leg was full of emotional concerts, quite an amazing experience

My first show was 3rd leg of Elevation and nothing will ever repeat that experience. After going to 4 of the MSG Oct shows, i don't want to ever hear about the so-called greatness of MSG shows

I would say without a doubt this tour automatically rates higher than Elevation because it is not going to ignore the places outside the USA, Canada and Europe as Elevation did.

Popmart is the greatest U2 tour the world has ever seen from it's sheer ambition of going to 6 continents. For many places in the world, it is the only time they've been fortunate enough to be able to see U2 live.

Side stepping that, as a veteran of every U2 tour since 1985 except Lovetown, I still rank Zoo TV/Zooropa as the best.

Ah, I wonder what the band members would say. Hands down, they would say ZooTV was the best and PopMart by far the worst IMHO. Here is what i think of the tours I've seen. I think ZooTV blew everyone away with the innovation of the set and the new music from Achtung Baby. I was just admiring those cars they used in their set at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Oh, the memories....

ZooTV
Vertigo
Elevation
Popmart

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i dont think the people who went to the MSG shows would consider them boring as hell

the third leg was full of emotional concerts, quite an amazing experience

:up:

:hmm:

elevation
Popmart
vertigo
zoo tv

Last edited:
grading scale

Read my post on tour wrap up and highlights etc. I gave my take on this tour. I saw War tour in Chigao, Joshua Tree at U of Illinois, Zoo and Pop in Chicago, Elevation in Chicago and Vertigo.
Since I have all of these shows to compare to one another, I will put Joshua Tree at the Uof I as an A++, War at Aragon in Chi at an A, Zoo at an A-, Pop Mart at an A - - , Elevation at a B, and Vertigo, at a B-.
Loosen up boys.....you know WE LOVE THE ELEMENT OF SURPRIZE!!!!! cough cough!
Let's hear more of a mix up, different set lists, other than one or 2 songs....etc.
o.k. I will still be seeing them when their 70.
peace
uf

I think it's a bit unfair to compare ZooTV and Vertigo Arena...

I have seen 1 indoor Elevation and 2 outdoor Vertigo, and I rank Vertigo a bit before Elevation...

As for the other tours I probably would have this list:

1. ZooTV - (For the GREAT show and spectacle of the whole thing)
1. Vertigo - Outdoors (The best the band have ever played musically. Bono's maybe loosing his falsetto, but his voice is still great, and much more powerful than the last few tours...)
2. Elevation - The intimate feeling and All About The Music theme, Kite!
3. PopMart - Looks great from all the videos I've seen, but musically this was not a great tour. Allthough the 40 foot lemon kinda makes us forget that!!! :wink:

The other tours is too old for me to judge really...

#1 : Zooropa (The best leg of the Zoo-TV era)
#2 : Elevation (U2's return to the arena's, the introduction of the heart+intimacy)
#3 : Popmart (What a stadium gig should be like! An example for all stadium acts!)
#4 : Joshua Tree tour and Lovetown
#5 : Vertigo

Vertigo just is another tour to me! Nothing special really! Not something I'm used to from U2... It's a pitty that this tour does not have a identity of it's own... I don't have a certain feelig when I think back to my Vertigo experience, and that's something that I dó have with Zooropa, Popmart and Elevation...

1) ZOO TV although not having seen it, it tops my list because of the phenomenom. Every story I read about I go: Damn, wish I was there

2) POPMART Alright I admit: it was my first U2 concert, but still what a visual feast! For further details why Popmart was the best: forum.interference.com/t147143.html

3) VERTIGO I saw the stadium version which was a joy. I'm not sure Vertigo would have been at 3rd place if I only saw an Arena show. Big surprise: YAHWEH. It still gives me chills, while it did nothing to me after only hearing the album version.

4) ELEVATION funny Elevation ends up at 4th place, because at the time it ranked on top

5) ALL OTHER SHOWS since I've not witnessed any other shows.

01 - ZOO TV : seen it 1 time inside 4 times outside ( Zooropa ) , boy this tour was so amazing , everything was mindblowing.
Best U2 tour ever for me.

02 - Lovetown : seen it 2 times , totally greatness each song that got played.

03 - Vertigo : loved every bit of it , Bono back in top form as in top form he can be these days , seen it 3 times ( Amsterdam 3 to be the best ).

04 - Elevation , seen it 3 times at the 2nd leg , great shows.

05 - Popmart , seen it 3 times , again great.
I was fortunate enough that Bono`s voice was good at the start of the 2nd leg.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

That I've seen:

1. JT -- 1st leg
2. Vertigo -- 3rd leg
3. Vertigo -- 1st leg
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. JT -- Stadiums
6. Conspiracy of Hope
7. Popmart

I suppose a lot of it depends on what type of U2 you like. If you're in love with Pop and hate Bomb, you are unlikely to enjoy Vertigo// as much as POPMart

Back
Top Bottom