When you're at the back of the stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pulle28

The Fly
Has anyone experiences with this? Being seated in the other end of the stadium.
I'm going to the U2 concert in Copenhagen, it's my 11th U2 show, but I have always had GA tickets.
I'm actually looking forward to a "seating experience", but I'm nervous that the spectacle is just too far away.
Someone here with "far away" experiences?

Thanks.
Morten

I saw U2 from the back corner of Foxboro stadium for the Popmart tour. Not really sure how it compares sizewise to Copenhagen's venue, but it held about 72,000 seats I think. Granted, the intimacy was not there, but it was cool to be able to see the entire crowd mobilize with synchronized clapping during New Year's Day, for example. On that tour, visuals were also very important, and the further back one sat from the stage, the more the perspective of the enormous screen improved. Most importantly, the sound was fine.
Really, the only thing you are sacrificing, IMO, is proximity to the band, which varies greatly from person to person in value anyway.

thanks.
It doesn't sound that bad.
And just to compare: there are 45000 seats at the venue in Copenhagen.

Stadium acoustics vary widely due to factors such as whether they are a bowl, open-ended, covered, etc. But they are generally not designed as music venues. I've seen U2 at Yankees Stadium, The Houston Astrodome, and several shows at Giants Stadium and all had their ups and downs.

If you are directly across from the stage and in the lower level, the worst of it will be the delay between what you see and what you hear. It will be distracting at first, but you'll get used to it. If you are across the stadium and in a tier or upper level, the acoustics will likely be terrible, but you can enjoy watching the crowd and taking in the general awe of such an event.

To me, acoustics are key, and I need to feel close and "in concert" with the performer. That's why I much prefer smaller venues and arenas. If a stadium is the only choice, I do whatever it takes to be on the field within 40 yards of the stage.

I actually enjoy seeing bands from a-far, especailly in stadiums. I saw the Rolling Stones in Houston way up top of Reliant Stadium. We were on the far end of the stage, 2nd to last row. Mick looked like an ant while Keith still looked like a roach . Even though it was far, the sound was still loud & clear and watching the crowd while the lights/production were going off was really cool. You should have a blast and should really enjoy seeing U2's stadium production from the cheap seats.

A bad U2 concert, or a U2 concert with bad seats, is still far better than a great concert of any other band. I have seen excellent concerts by some of my other favorite bands (Tool, A Perfect Circle) that just don't compare to an average U2 show. It's inexplainable.

I agree that a U2 concert with bad seats is better than almost anything else. Apart, maybe, from a Springsteen on fire. The thing he does in a live situation is also inexplicable.
I'm not so worried for myself, since I have GA tickets for another stadium concert this summer. It's more my friends and girlfriend - I want them to have a blast.
But what can you do.
It's nice to hear that some of you guys have had amazing experiences lightyears away from the spectacle.
I come to think of: Sometimes it's also about the people who surround you. I've had people in front of me, standing two feet away from Bono, who stood still the whole concert through. To top this, they actually got mad at us because we jumped too much. It's so easy to spoil a party...

Back
Top Bottom