When will U2 have there next world tour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They didn't even finish this world tour yet!

Hoping for 2008, but could be 2009 if the album takes their time.

U2 loves to release albums a month before X-mas. They can stretch the album over two X-mases (bringing in lots of cash) and tour in between..
My bet; new album in the Fall of 2008, new tour in 2009 ..probably the same drill over again for the first three legs (USA, Europe, USA).....

November 2007 Album Release
US Indoor Leg
Europe Outdoor Leg
US Outdoor Leg
Latin America Outdoor
Pacific Outdoor

My guess is 2009, the routine of an album & tour roughly every 4 years seems pretty well set now (and yes, they did used to be more productive in terms of albums & tours but that was 20 odd years ago)..

Zooropa 1993
Popmart 1997 / early 1998
Elevation 2001
Vertigo 2005 / should have been early 2006
Next one 2009

My biggest hope is for proper arena tour of Europe but I know that simply isn't going to happen.

The post someone left about Edge not wanting to tour anymore.... give us a source, or prepare to suffer the wrath of U2 fans. Honestly, the idea that I might never see U2 live again really makes me sad and worried.

The album will either come out late 2007 or late 2008. No other possible times. And as already posted, late 2008 isn't that far away, 2 years from now. 2 years ago, HTDAAB was brand new. I don't know about you, but it seems like just yesterday that I went to buy HTDAAB at midnight 11/23/04 with my friends. Two years seems like a long time, but it's not at all.

Edge did say, and I'm sure, that any tour after this couldn't top the Vertigo Tour, and a lot of people took that to mean they'd stop touring.

phillyfan26 said:
Edge did say, and I'm sure, that any tour after this couldn't top the Vertigo Tour, and a lot of people took that to mean they'd stop touring.

yeah, but that's just a way to hype up the current tour. It doesn't sound as good if Edge says "well you know the Vertigo tour is pretty good but I think we can do better." of course when it's over he very well may :wink:

I think and hope the next tour will be 2008. I really think they can get an album out in fall 2007.

I think they will have a album out late 2007.... Alot of the vibe im getting from this thread is that U2 are getting old and cant be bothered anymore.....

WRONG....

Thus is not the U2 attitude at all... They will be back hopefully they will come to Australia on there next tour but that is wishful thinking... I think i will be going overseas to see them cause i cant get enough U2.

phillyfan26 said:

Two words: ZooTV, Popmart. With Rubin in the studio (assuming he doesn't go the route of Chris Thomas, in which case I will personally kill Bono,) we will see an album by the end of 2007... otherwise, I'd say '09. In the BCS, album by Grammy deadline 2007, tour by April 2008... WCS, album by Grammy deadline 2009, tour by April 2010. If God is truly benevolent, the tour will open 5/14/2008 in Albany. :drool:

I just dont see U2 gearing up for another tour a year from now. They are still on tour now. That is why I dont think there will be an album next year. If there is, my guess is they arent touring for it.

Combine that with the information that Larry's tech Sam indicated that a new album is at a "minimum" a year away.

Bono is thinking of emigrating to Australia with his family he liked it so much.

His wife's brother lives there and they are very close.

macfesto said:
That comment regarding Edge and touring sounds completely out of character.

Yeah Bono would stab Edge in the face if he said that hahaha

I remember at Melbourne 2 Bono saying that they would definately be coming back, or soemthing along those lines

Anyone who thinks U2 will stop touring is plain stupid... it is U2, GEEZ!!!!!!

Last edited:
"John Lennon was once asked whether Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, to which he responded "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Axver said:
Here's my optimistic prediction:

Late 2007: New album
Early 2008: Tour's 1st leg, North America
Mid 2008: Tour's 2nd leg, Europe
Late 2008: Tour's 3rd leg, North America
Early 2009: Tour's 4th leg, Latin America, Oceania, and Japan

For the pessimistic prediction, make everything a year later and remove the fourth leg.

Seems about right. Then new best-of 2010!;) (Including Mercy and Levitation as bonus tracks!)

I don't know what to hope for. I'm pretty certain I'm going to be in Africa from the summer of 2008-summer 2009, so on some timelines I'd miss the tour entirely because there's no way i'd have the money to fly to Europe. So while I want the new album and I want it NOW, I kind of have to hope it comes out in 2008 and not 2007 so I can see some of the tour.

Bono in Melb said:
"John Lennon was once asked whether Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, to which he responded "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Completely off topic, but John Lennon was damn right!

don't know if this has been posted here yet, but the atu2 blog is reporting a rumor of a 2008 tour to coincide with the U.S. Presidential election:

"To file in the rumor mill category, there has been chatter about a potential U2 tour of the United States in 2008. This was even mentioned to a fan by a U2 crew member who works closely with Bono about a week or so ago. The idea of having U2 on tour during a major presidential election year brings back memories of the Zoo TV tour where "Vote Baby" was a widely used slogan with pins and bumper stickers available at concerts. It'll be interesting to see what the next 24 months bring."

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4502

Clinton/Obama + U2 in 2008! :up: :hyper:

:wink:

Well, the good news is that at least they're talking about the next tour.

From Willie's Diary

Show day, Auckland.

It’s thirteen years since the last time U2 played in New Zealand. Joe and I have done shows here with R.E.M. since then, but even that seems like another lifetime now. The band came in for sound check and a noodle around, I think as much as anything to limber up and get a feel for where we are. This meant we had some time to kill between sound check and show countdown, so we continued a discussion that we have begun about (don’t laugh) “the next tour”. I think all of us can feel that whenever U2 goes out again, we need to advance the form to some degree. Now that every big touring show out there looks like a cross between ZooTV and PopMart, the onus appears to be on us to figure out what comes next. The alternative would be to continue in the same vein but when the parameters of the show remain the same, ultimately it becomes impossible not to repeat yourself. Take, for example, the last four Rolling Stones tours which, magnificent as they are, have very much settled into a consistent format. I’m not sure whether it’s possible for us to break the mould again, but whilst we are all together it seems like a good idea to talk about it, at least.

Back on the subject of today’s show, there was some debate about where to place One Tree Hill in the set. Given that the song hasn’t been played properly in public since about 1989, I was a little nervous about closing the show with it, just in case the wheels came off. Consequently, we put it before Sometimes, where it seemed the song would sit nicely.

Blue Room said:
I just dont see U2 gearing up for another tour a year from now. They are still on tour now. That is why I dont think there will be an album next year. If there is, my guess is they arent touring for it.

Just to counter that, at this point all going to plan U2 would be 7 months into a vacation if they didn't have to postpone the tour - and as such, they could very well have pencilled in recording time for March/April 2007 - resulting in a late 2007 release. I wouldn't read too much into them being on tour right now as that wasnt originally part of their overall plan.

Just my two cents worth.

thatsnotmypuppy said:

Just to counter that, at this point all going to plan U2 would be 7 months into a vacation if they didn't have to postpone the tour - and as such, they could very well have pencilled in recording time for March/April 2007 - resulting in a late 2007 release. I wouldn't read too much into them being on tour right now as that wasnt originally part of their overall plan.

Just my two cents worth.

I think your 2 centrs is gold, although they just did this leg, they still had 7 months off and I feel they will want to get back in the studio after chrissy.

ramblin rose said:
Well, the good news is that at least they're talking about the next tour.

From Willie's Diary

Show day, Auckland.

It’s thirteen years since the last time U2 played in New Zealand. Joe and I have done shows here with R.E.M. since then, but even that seems like another lifetime now. The band came in for sound check and a noodle around, I think as much as anything to limber up and get a feel for where we are. This meant we had some time to kill between sound check and show countdown, so we continued a discussion that we have begun about (don’t laugh) “the next tour”. I think all of us can feel that whenever U2 goes out again, we need to advance the form to some degree. Now that every big touring show out there looks like a cross between ZooTV and PopMart, the onus appears to be on us to figure out what comes next. The alternative would be to continue in the same vein but when the parameters of the show remain the same, ultimately it becomes impossible not to repeat yourself. Take, for example, the last four Rolling Stones tours which, magnificent as they are, have very much settled into a consistent format. I’m not sure whether it’s possible for us to break the mould again, but whilst we are all together it seems like a good idea to talk about it, at least.

Back on the subject of today’s show, there was some debate about where to place One Tree Hill in the set. Given that the song hasn’t been played properly in public since about 1989, I was a little nervous about closing the show with it, just in case the wheels came off. Consequently, we put it before Sometimes, where it seemed the song would sit nicely.

Thanks for that. So I guess this means Willie won't quit working for U2 after this tour, even with the news he walked out on third leg?

I think this time they'll head back to Tel Aviv, Sarajevo, Finland (they played these on POPMart) and maybe even China?

Back
Top Bottom