When do they cut off scanning for the eclipse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2WOJO

The Fly
Got into the eclipse in Chicago in May when we showed up at 20 to 8 (a couple of songs into KOL opener). Being superstition, tried the same think in Milwaukee last night to find they were not scanning tickets at that point. GA floor even 2/3rds of the way back is still awesome and I think better than just about any seat in the house, but it would be nice to at least get the random chance at the eclipse. I've got GA's to both shows in Montreal, so I guess I need to get there a little earlier.

it's actually pretty screwy--at some venues they have closed the computers as early as 7:15, and nowhere is there information that states that you may or may not get a shot at the ellipse. If fans knew the computers would be shut down at a certain time then they'd get there earlier. This is further evidence of Clear Channel's mismanagement of the GA.l

In Toronto they didn't allow anyone into the ellipse for the last two shows early in the show, because they were filming and wanted to fill up the ellipse so it looked good on camera...but the short answer is that no one knows what time they stop scanning tickets.

one would assume they have a max capacity for the ellipse... a number that would allow for it to look filled but still allow a certain amount of room to move around without getting crushed.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here, but i'm guessing they shut down the scanners whenever they hit that number... subtracting a certain quota of VIPs and industry types that they give ellipse passes to.

thus then... if they hit that number early, the shut it down early... if it takes a while to hit that number, they keep the scanners up longer.

and when the ellipse looks emptier than normal, they probably didn't have as many VIP/industry type people show up as they thought they would.

:shrug: just a thought, but it makes sense to me...

but people buy GA tickets with the understanding that they have chance to get into the ellipse--imagine the disappointment when they are told it's full. There should be explicit instructions that the ellipse will be closed when it is full, and to insure a chance to enter you should come by.....whatever time they think is appropriate.

It was sad to see some friends very disappointed because they couldn't even get a shot at getting in.

If someone is a casual fan who managed to get a GA ticket, and they go to U2.com to read about the lottery, they will read that everybody with a GA ticket has a chance to get into the ellipse.

So then they will assume they can go to the show at showtime and have that chance. But in reality, that's not true.

a quote from u2.com

f. Random selection will continue for the full capacity of the floor. (From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone will have an equal opportunity to enter the Ellipse)

Yea I got fucked over that way in Chicago last Wednesday, but I was in the ellipse last night, so it's all good. :up:

I got fucked out of a chance to get into the ellipse in Chicago Wednesday because the laptop froze and they said just to go to the floor. The lottery policy causes more problems than it solves, and they're handling of it has been terrible.

well it just takes a little common sense... they have to close it eventually... they can't really wait until the last person on the floor comes into the building... 'cause then there would be a gaurantee that the last person gets in, and thus, a fight over who gets to be last... plus, what if a few people just simply don't show up, for whatever reason? then the ellipse will never be full :sad:

baisicly, if you want a chance to get into the ellipse, to be safe, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and cut your tailgating short and head in before the opener starts.

if they'd just go back to a first come first server process, it would solve all these problems.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if they'd just go back to a first come first serve process, it would solve all these problems.

couldn't agree more

They do not fill to capacity.

The VIP passes are removed and additionally they keep a number of wristbands in reserve to be given out randomly at the back of the floor. I've only been to one show where wristbands weren't being massively given out once the concert started and even there, security did give a few passes out to a couple here and there by the side rails.

knox said:
Yea I got fucked over that way in Chicago last Wednesday, but I was in the ellipse last night, so it's all good. :up:
Good for you...I was not so lucky on Tuesday:(

Chizip said:
If someone is a casual fan who managed to get a GA ticket, and they go to U2.com to read about the lottery, they will read that everybody with a GA ticket has a chance to get into the ellipse.

So then they will assume they can go to the show at showtime and have that chance. But in reality, that's not true.

Everybody DOES have a chance to get into the ellipse... if you get there early enough.

Anyone who shows up after the opening act starts shouldn't be disappointed that the computers are shut down. And for all those lottery naysayers, wouldn't you be pissed if that person got in? One less person in line is another person closer to the stage for you. It's first come first served, in your world, right?

And there are ways to deal with computers freezing... get in the spot on the floor where they hand out wristbands. It seems like there's a lottery on the floor as well. You can't tell me that you don't know how to work the system when we're 7 months into the tour.

And ultimately I think it's just random. They need to scan 200 'winning' tickets in order to fill 400 spots in the ellipse. You could imagine that they might get their 200 scans within the first group of 1000 fans some nights and not until the last 200 GA ticketholders come through another night.

As with anything in life, if you want to be successful you have to position yourself accordingly.

Chizip said:
I got fucked out of a chance to get into the ellipse in Chicago Wednesday because the laptop froze and they said just to go to the floor. The lottery policy causes more problems than it solves, and they're handling of it has been terrible.

Chip, this has happened to Phil and I with EVERY single Chicago GA (6 total). I swear it's fate b/c we stooped so low as to buy from a broker. Even our bar codes don't scan on the first try just getting in the door. I know the tix are legit though b/c they burn black and have the blue fiber, but everytime we've been scanned, it takes 2-5 tries and then the ellipse computer doesn't do anything and they look at us and go "uh....sorry". It's not that big of a deal since I never expect to get in, it's just weird. Then someone stole my spot in the ellipse the one time I could've gone in :mad:

u2wedge said:

And there are ways to deal with computers freezing... get in the spot on the floor where they hand out wristbands. It seems like there's a lottery on the floor as well. You can't tell me that you don't know how to work the system when we're 7 months into the tour.

Yes, but the expectation is that the computers should work. I was one of the first few people in the door. :| Why would I want to wait around in the back for an even slimmer chance of getting in?

WildHoneyAlways said:
Well, I'm glad we weren't alone in getting screwed. It's total crap I tell you.

off-topic, but do you have a pic anywhere? I'm sure I'd recognize it since we were relatively near the front both times (I was number 8 and then number 41), but I can't picture you....

u2wedge said:

Everybody DOES have a chance to get into the ellipse... if you get there early enough.

did you miss the quote from u2.com?

f. Random selection will continue for the full capacity of the floor. (From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone will have an equal opportunity to enter the Ellipse)

until the last person arriving, not "if you show up early enough"

and you're saying i should give up my spot along the rail for the slim chance i could get a wristband from someone giving them out to people at the back of the floor? thats not "working the system," thats being stupid.

Chizip said:

did you miss the quote from u2.com?

and you're saying i should give up my spot along the rail for the slim chance i could get a wristband from someone giving them out to people at the back of the floor? thats not "working the system," thats being stupid.

Chizip... Since when do we take anything U2.com says seriously... I haven't since the presale. I can't believe you're pulling for the casual fan who may or may not know the lottery policy. If this is going to be a literal argument, then the casual fan should have been in line prior to the 7:30 start time listed on the ticket.

Life 101: don't believe everything you read

And isn't being stupid getting to the concert late?

u2wedge said:

Chizip... Since when do we take anything U2.com says seriously... I haven't since the presale. I can't believe you're pulling for the casual fan who may or may not know the lottery policy. If this is going to be a literal argument, then the casual fan should have been in line prior to the 7:30 start time listed on the ticket.

Life 101: don't believe everything you read

I'm not pulling for the causal fan, I'm against the dismal management of this tour. Apparently U2 has hired Clear Channel to manage this tour and the customer service has been terrible. From the information to U2.com, to their drunk tour manager Allison. It's been a disgrace. I could go off on Allison, but I will refrain.

Hey I understand that they will run out of wristbands at some point. But it should be stated that at some point they will run out of wristbands, so be sure to be there by a certain time to guarantee your chance at the ellipse. Not the "until the last fan arrives" nonsense they have on their website.

Chizip said:

I'm not pulling for the causal fan, I'm against the dismal management of this tour. Apparently U2 has hired Clear Channel to manage this tour and the customer service has been terrible. From the information to U2.com, to their drunk tour manager Allison. It's been a disgrace. I could go off on Allison, but I will refrain.

Hey I understand that they will run out of wristbands at some point. But it should be stated that at some point they will run out of wristbands, so be sure to be there by a certain time to guarantee your chance at the ellipse. Not the "until the last fan arrives" nonsense they have on their website.

I agree that the lottery system just puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on the security detail, espeicially at single night venues. I went to Toronto 3 and felt lucky that the security team had two nights to get their act straight. But no matter what it's going to be chaotic. You have 2000 people who all want the same thing. It's almost a controlled riot in a sense.

Again, if they get their 200th scan with ticket holder 1799, why scan the rest of the 201 tickets, just to make people feel good?

At some point people have to realize that this is the hottest ticket available and if they take a casual approach to the GA line they will lose out.

On the flip side, I was standing next to someone in the ellipse who got scanned as well as her friend and neither of them knew that they were the two luckiest people in the arena. Scanned 2 for 2... go figure.

u2wedge said:

Again, if they get their 200th scan with ticket holder 1799, why scan the rest of the 201 tickets, just to make people feel good?

I see what you're saying, but at all the shows I've been to so far, the ellipse has been like half full when the opening band starts, so I don't know how it could be full enough for them to stop scanning at 7:30. Do the rest get wristbands from the guys at the back? Now I'm interested b/c I have a GA fro Oct. 24, I'm going alone, and I can't get there until right before it starts...

Back
Top Bottom