what will arcade fire do when they open in november?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

innominata8

War Child
so...for the entire tour a cause for excitement & celebration has been when 'wake up' comes over the PA system, signaling the start of the show. how will this change when arcade fire opens for U2 in canada in a few weeks? any chance they'll play a set, take a break, and then come out and do a live version of 'wake up' to welcome the boys on stage? :drool:

that would be pretty awesome. i cant imagine the arcade fire dropping wake up just so they could accomadate U2

innominata8 said:
any chance they'll play a set, take a break, and then come out and do a live version of 'wake up' to welcome the boys on stage? :drool:

I saw them sunday. Arcade Fire is amazing live.

I talked with Richard (the helmet player) for a while and told him that I first heard AF on an U2 concert.

I also told him that U2 fan forums are flooded with threads asking "What's the song that is played before U2 get on the stage?" lol.

I was going to ask him exact the same thing, but I forgot. I think it won't happen. They are 7 on stage. It's hard to keep U2's stage set-up with their instruments on.

Also Richard and Jeremy will have to control themselves. If they play like a regular AF concert they will broke some of the elipse lights! :wink:

Exactly! This is what I wanted to post myself:

You can't have two full backlines of band equipment onstage with two bands at the same time! Not on one stage that is!

So what cán and probably wíll be done? Replay the live version of Wake Up that the Arcade Fire had played as the U2 intro...

Re: Re: what will arcade fire do when they open in november?

i'll let you all know after i see them in ottawa.

:drool:
victor_f said:
They are 7 on stage. It's hard to keep U2's stage set-up with their instruments on.
i saw them live a few weeks ago, and they are quite capable of playing on small stage as they did here. amazing, AMAZING live show.

at the show i saw, they opened with 'wake up'. i dunno if they'd drop it from the beginning of the set and play it at the end for bono & co., or if they'd play it again.

wow. wake up x 2. the irony. :huh:

MirrorballLemon said:
that would be pretty awesome. i cant imagine the arcade fire dropping wake up just so they could accomadate U2

i can TOTALLY imagine them doing it accomodate U2: this band has gotten extra exposure to 100's of thousands of people thx to U2 using their song as part of their show. if they don't play a live version of wakeup before the start of U2's set, it's for logistical reasons (i would hope).

I don't see why they would have to drop it...if anything I think the crowd would go extra crazy hearing it over the PA after hearing it live earlier in AF's opening set.

I've only heard AF live. In September, I hung out outside Summer Stage in Central Park, and it certainly sounded like they put on a hell of a show! I ran up there after class, and they had already started, and I was afraid they opened w/ Wake Up and I would have missed it. Needless to say I was floored when they closed w/ it...WITH DAVID BOWIE!!! (After covering Bowie's Queen Bitch). Crazy! Even the crowd of people that just camped out on the lawn and couldn't see anything went nuts throughout the show. It was great!

I was thinking about the possibility earlier as well....any chance of them playing their opening set w/o Wake Up and then come on using U2's setup to play it and having it blead into COBL???

actually couldn't the lead singer for arcade fire just come out with the mic and get the crowd going with maybe some sort of loop backing track (or band playing off stage?) playing any music that would be necessary?

I think that the arcade fire should, would, could, will set up their gear around the ellipse, and play wake up as a set closer, leaving the main stage clear for u2, and then while the intro for city of blinding lights kicks in, they 'll quickly get down.

you know, the arcade fire are an excellent band in their own right. they deserve to be playing on the STAGE. ALL of them.

if you've ever seen them live, you'll know that seeing them all up there singing 'wake up' is an experience in itself.

and, regardless of the fact that U2 has been using it to open every show of the tour, 'wake up' isn't the best song on 'funeral'. try 'laika', or 'power out' or 'rebellion' - all phenomenal songs.

i know we're all here to kiss U2's ass, but the arcade fire deserve a lot more respect than being treated like U2's welcome mat.

lmjhitman said:

if you've ever seen them live, you'll know that seeing them all up there singing 'wake up' is an experience in itself.

You got that right, pumpkin

lmjhitman said:
you know, the arcade fire are an excellent band in their own right. they deserve to be playing on the STAGE. ALL of them.

and, regardless of the fact that U2 has been using it to open every show of the tour, 'wake up' isn't the best song on 'funeral'. try 'laika', or 'power out' or 'rebellion' - all phenomenal songs.

i know we're all here to kiss U2's ass, but the arcade fire deserve a lot more respect than being treated like U2's welcome mat.

umm...i don't think we're treating them like U2's welcome mat; if nothing else, being part of this tour in the ways that they have has been a MASSIVE honor that U2 has bestowed upon them b/c they really respect them as musicians. The A/F album is a great one--i don't think anyone is disputing that.

you have to admit that it would be a pretty neat sight to see 'wake up' preformed live as U2 takes the stage. the way that i see it, this would be yet another honor for A/F: we've been listening to the song then entire tour as the U2 comes out--what a cool opportunity for A/F to play it live.

lmjhitman said:

ITA about laika. I like tunnels and rebellion as well. Hell, the whole album is superb. One of the few I don't mind listening to from start to finish sometimes.

coach said:
I think that the arcade fire should, would, could, will set up their gear around the ellipse, and play wake up as a set closer, leaving the main stage clear for u2, and then while the intro for city of blinding lights kicks in, they 'll quickly get down.

I kind of agree with this.

I think the logistics are feasible, and hell, I think that would be a kickass segway into the show.

The only problem I see would be the sound mixing desk.

I know that the Kings of Leon used U2's, but Keane brought their own. Either way, it woul dbe tricky to bring in all th elive sound at the smae time at the segway, but I absolutely think it could and should be done.

it would rock.

Hmm...

Arcade Fire closes with "Wake Up" and then the lights go out, and U2 walk on stage as soon as Arcade Fire leaves the stage... that would be awesome...

The only way I could see Arcade Fire playing Wake Up directly before U2 walks on stage is this...

1. Arcade Fire play set
2. Leave stage
3. U2 crew sets up U2 equipment
4. Lights go out
5. 4 members of AF come back on stage and play Wake Up using U2's instruments
6. U2 walks out during the song
7. Instruments are handed over
8. Vertigo

I realize Arcade Fire likes their multi-instrument arrangements, but Wake Up can easily be played with drums, bass, and geetar.

I'm going to speculate that this is how it goes down:

1. Arcade Fire plays their usual set, opens with Wake Up
2. The regular 'setup musical interlude' music comes on. "Wake Up" is NOT played, instead U2 comes on stage just like they did on the Elevation Tour with the house lights still on.
3. Bono: "That show was amazing, now it's our turn", or some guff like that.
4. U2 plays cover of Wake Up with Win on vocal/guitar.....instead of the end double time piece, they break into Vertigo.

I wish I could be there.:(

Back
Top Bottom