What was the biggest surprise of the Vertigo tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What was the biggest surprise?

• Finding out 40 was closing the show

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • Running To Standstill returning

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • Miss Sarajevo making it's first ever debut

Votes: 143 59.8%
  • Debut of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • Filming a live DVD in Milan

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Finding out Edge was from the future

Votes: 24 10.0%

• Total voters
Most surprising?

The return and dominance of the lesser known Boy songs.

I was floored here in the chat following the opening shows in San Diego. Seeing the return of the Cry/the Electric Co., An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart.

Even Gloria and the Ocean combo was a suprise

A suprise occuring later in the tour - Bono's opera-like voice during Miss Sarajevo.

amerrydeath said:
RTSS. I nearly DIED when I heard they were playing this. :drool: :drool: :drool: Why did they drop it? Miss Sarajevo <<<<<<<< Running to Stand Still. :(

RTSS isn't that special... I've heard it in different arrangements over the last 18 years.... Not that RTSS is a bad song...

The debut of Miss Sarajevo at Amsterdam 3 was breathtaking, stunning, gorgeous and marvellous at te same.. Bono hitting the high note sent shivers down my spine...

A reason for keeping it in the set might have been the release of the Chicago-dvd.. With the dvd in the shops while they were still on tour there was a good reason to change a few things in the set...

Axver said:

What amuses me is theu2fly managed to omit three major events, got one fact wrong, and spelt a song name wrong.

1. Omitted the debut of The First Time.
2. Omitted the debut of The Wanderer.
3. Omitted the reappearance of The Ocean after a gap of 22 years, 3 months, and 22 days, the longest gap between performances of any U2 song at this point in time.
4. Said Miss Sarajevo was performed for the first time ever, despite the fact it had been played twice before: 12 September 1995 and 23 September 1997, the latter famously taking place in Sarajevo.
5. Called Running To Stand Still "Running To Standstill" in true U2.com inept style.

Do your statistics account for leap years? :wink:

Miss Sarajevo or Zoo Station

Maybe Zoo Station clinches it for me since it was designed to be there from the start and utilised the screens/curtains etc.

I will do the write in vote for Electric Co also. One of my dream songs for them to do and it became a semi staple for a good portion of this tour. Absolutely outstanding IMO. :up:

Now they need to do God Part II on the next tour and continue my string of dream songs! :laugh: :wink:

julianamendoza said:
Adam's charm

That is it!!!
Adam Clayton is ALL THAT on this tour!!!:bow:

Walking around the ellipse, winking and smiling alot, letting his hair go all natural, snogging with Bono and completely blowing my mind
:blahblah: :blahblah:

Hmmm, I know I am missing something:hmm:

Zoo Station for me, easily.

That song just seems so engraved in the whole Zoo TV culture, i could never have forseen this one returning.

Electric Co., Zoo Station, my personal one: when they played Crumbs in Minneapolis, I know people had been expecting it for awhile, but to be among the first 20,000 people to hear it, amazing :drool:

From the list I'd say Miss Sarajevo.

Overall it would have to be The First Time. One of their forgotten classics and one of my favotites. I had a huge grin on my face!

onebloodonelife said:
Electric Co., Zoo Station, my personal one: when they played Crumbs in Minneapolis, I know people had been expecting it for awhile, but to be among the first 20,000 people to hear it, amazing :drool:

Wasn't that amazing? I saw Edge bringing out a different guitar after ABOY, and I thought "Huh...?" and then they start playing a few strums of Crumbs. I yelled "OH MY GOD! CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE, THEY'VE NEVER PLAYED THIS!" It was really quite something... I wish I had been down in the elipse, I'd reacted better than most would have.

The biggest surprise for me was that I expected the show to be good, but I never expected it to be one of the best nights of my life. :heart:

My pick isn't there:

"Seeing Adam return after being a cadrboard cutout during the Elevation tour"

according to u2-vertigo-tour.com Fast Cars was only played 14 times this tour, and I was among those who heard it, so that was definately a surprise... and it was lots of fun live.

It would have been great if I had seen Running to Stand Still, the ZooTV Sydney performance just blows me away.

Back
Top Bottom