What was the Best US show of the year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best US show

• San Diego 1 03-28 Opening night!

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Phoenix 2 04-15 BAD for the 1st time

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Chicago 4 05-12 They mixed it up!

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Boston 2 05-26 just a great show

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Chicago 5 09-20 The First time for the First time, Discotheque

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • Minneapolis 09-23 another great show

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Philadelphia 4 10-17 The Boss!

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Las Vegas 2 11-05 Lets Keep it Electric!

Votes: 39 17.9%
  • Boston 4 12-04 The 3rd Encore 1/2 the Arena walked out before

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Portland 12-19 Closing night

Votes: 9 4.1%

• Total voters
My 15 shows in order of goodness

1. Detroit 2
2. Vegas 2
3. Oakland 2
4. Chicago 2
5. Detroit 1
6. Anaheim 1
7. Dallas
8. San Jose 1
9. Seattle 1
10. Chicago 1
11. Portland
12. Vegas 1
13. Oakland 1
14. San Diego 2
15. San Diego 1

Well if we're ranking, here's how I'd go...

1. New York 11/21
2. Boston 12/5
3. Boston 12/4
4. New York 10/8
5. New York 10/11
6. New York 10/7
7. San Jose 4/10
8. New York 10/10
9. New York 5/21
10. New York 11/22
11. New Jersey 5/18
12. New York 10/14
13. San Jose 4/9
14. New Jersey 5/17

However, this is deceiving as the first 12 shows were truly fabulous and all of those 12 can go up against the best of Elevation and Popmart. San Jose 4/9 was good, but marred by bad sound. Only NJ 5/17 would be what I would call a lackluster and phoned-in show, just wasn't feeling it from them at that one.

This is a tough one....however I voted for Vegas2....THAT was an awesome night in probably the smallest venue. I was blessed to have seen the Opening and the Closing shows, in San Diego and in Portland and both of those nights hold special memories just because of their places in the tour-beginning and end. I've heard a lot of audio from a lot of shows, seen a lot of video stream, seen thousands of pics and review posts. It's kept me sane all year. It's going to be difficult when this falls away and when things grow quiet again.

UNTIL THE NEXT TOUR. :wink:

Chicago 4 for me, hands down. It was my third show of the tour and first time scanned into the ellipse (right in front of Edge!). Tour debut of Until the End of the World (which happens to be my favorite song) and my first time experiencing Bad. It was also the first time they closed with it, I think. I almost lost it. Best night of my life, best show of the tour.

I went to 9 shows and only 1 of the shows I went to is represented (Phx) which kinda shows how unlucky I was.

I'm going for the Boston show of 4 December. But maybe I'm a bit biased. :wink: That version of One was un-f$^$#*-believable.

:hyper:

Popmartijn said:
I'm going for the Boston show of 4 December. But maybe I'm a bit biased. :wink: That version of One was un-f$^$#*-believable.

:hyper:

gee why's that marty??? :lol:

personally i thought it was shit... :wink:
:D

I wasn't at any of these shows. I had a ticket for 12/4 but couldn't go...:sad:

I'm still trying to rate my five shows: NJ 5/18, MSG 5/21, 10/8, 10/14 and 11/21. 5/21 would be last because the crowd had a weird vibe, at least where I was sitting in the 200's, and I had to leave early due to LIRR trackwork :mad:. Each of the other four shows have moments that make me consider them for the top show:
5/18: Bankrobbers on stage, Gloria AND Bad, my first full U2 show since ZooTV.
10/8: Great seat, Mary J. Blige during One.
10/14: Another great seat, Bono's intro to Fast Cars (running down a ramp as he said "The only place you can hear it...is LIVE!"), Edge en fuego during The Electric Co.
11/21: Instant Karma with Patti Smith--I thought I was going to lose my mind with joy as I watched this.

How COULD I choose??!!

i think people are voting for the best shows they went to and not just the best show overall. theyre using their heart instead of their mind.

Vegas 2 was great but it's a little overrated in my opinion. I'd put it as 2 behind Chicago 9-20.

Like I said earlier, Chicago 9-20 had one of the best Electric Co's ever, Vegas 2 didn't have Electric Co. Huge point for Chicago.

Chicago 9-20 had the FIRST EVER the First Time. This one came out of nowhere, huge point for Chicago.

Chicago 9-20 had the FIRST EVER acoustic Walk On. Once again this came out of nowhere, huge point for Chicago.

Chicago 9-20 had only the second and LAST EVER amazing reworked version of discotheque. It was the best song I've seen at any show. HUGE point for Chicago.

Chicago 9-20 had the Fly with a Daddy's Gonna Pay snippet. Discotheque/The Fly was an amazing encore and the last of the rockin encores for a long time.

Chicago 9-20 had Yahweh in the main set, which was a surprise.

Chicago 9-20 closed with Bad, but so did Vegas 2 so I guess that's even.

Nothing at Vegas 2 comes close to these surprises. Until the End of the World and Mysterious Ways early on was nice, but it was at the expense of Electric Co, and we had already seen those songs on the tour. They weren't the FIRST EVER performance of these songs like Chicago had. And the Zoo Station/The Fly encore was nice, but it was done for the whole first leg, gimme Discotheque/The Fly any day of the week.

So I think when people look at it objectively, the 9-20 show should be at the top of any list. It was as close to a perfect setlist as this tour has had.

Even though I don't live in the US, I have seen five concerts in a week-run, the last of the first leg. Here is how I would rank them:

1) Philly, May 22
2) Boston, May 26
3) Boston, May 28
4) New York, May 21
5) Boston, May 24

But that will change in Feb.2006... :wink:

p.s: hey, solacevip, i think i were at your side on May 22. Were you with Gabriel Vox? If so, write me at patrick.moraes at gmail.com

It's too hard to judge shows you weren't at, just by setlist or surprises alone.

So I'll just stick with playing the ranking game. :madspit:

1. Vegas 2
2. Seattle 2
3. New York 10/10
4. Portland
5. Seattle 1
6. Vancouver 2

I agree that Chicago 9/20 sounds better, but I can't vote for it just because I was not there and a bootleg (which I also don't have) is not enough to make up my mind.

Chizip said:
i think people are voting for the best shows they went to and not just the best show overall. theyre using their heart instead of their mind.

Vegas 2 was great but it's a little overrated in my opinion. I'd put it as 2 behind Chicago 9-20.

Nothing at Vegas 2 comes close to these surprises. Until the End of the World and Mysterious Ways early on was nice, but it was at the expense of Electric Co, and we had already seen those songs on the tour. They weren't the FIRST EVER performance of these songs like Chicago had. And the Zoo Station/The Fly encore was nice, but it was done for the whole first leg, gimme Discotheque/The Fly any day of the week.

You only think it was overrated because you missed it :tongue:

Seattle 2.

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, Gloria, The Ocean, New Year's Day, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky - When Johnny Comes Marching Home, Running to Stand Still, Bad - Norwegian Wood - Ruby Tuesday, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One

Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, All Because Of You, Original of the Species, Vertigo

Comments: For the second straight show, 'Miracle Drug' is dedicated to a local girl named Jennifer whom Bono says is ill. Bono brings a young boy named Jason on stage during 'Sometimes.' They're arm-in-arm as Bono sings the song to Jason, who is also mouthing the words. It's an incredibly emotional moment, and tears stream down Bono's face as he sings the song as if singing to his own son. Bono sings 'Mysterious Ways' to 'sexy Adam', and the two do a brief duel at the tip of the ellipse. Reminiscent of U2's earliest shows, 'Vertigo' is played a second time to close the show.

scores of reviews and emails said this was the emotionalal highlight of any show they had ever seen. my boy.

Attachments

• u2_042505 250 v3.jpg
    u2_042505 250 v3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Toronto is not in the US
neither is Amsterdam
that is for you geographically challenged that picked those shows lol

I was at Chicago 9/20, Vegas 11/5 and Boston 12/4(as well as 33 other US shows) and i can tell you that clearly Vegas was the best show of the tour but strong arguements can be made for the other 2 as well

u2rulesmyworld said:
I was at Chicago 9/20, Vegas 11/5 and Boston 12/4(as well as 33 other US shows) and i can tell you that clearly Vegas was the best show of the tour but strong arguements can be made for the other 2 as well

I'm so glad that my one and only Ellipse experience was at Vegas 2.

:drool:

Ooops...you were right.....I either am illiterate or I'm just plain old adjusting to the fact that the tour is done for me.

So...that being said....

Detroit2
NYC Oct 10th (where Mary J showed up)
and Philly 2 (1st leg)

u2rulesmyworld said:
Toronto is not in the US
neither is Amsterdam
that is for you geographically challenged that picked those shows lol

I'd have to say Montreal I, Arcade Fire, blinky light things, stupidly loud crowd- then again that was the only show I attended :wink:

That and the shows where they played Discotheque :D

Well it's all a matter of opinion in the end. And the concert that wins the most votes will just be a majorities opinion. It doesn't mean the others were crap or not as good. Because to some they may be. I think Vegas 2 had the best setlist in my opinion. It was a high-energy show, and I like those. I wasn't at the Boston show in 2nd place. What made that one so good. I read through the notes in it and I didn't see anything extra ordinary. Did the 3rd encore really make that show amazing? I don't know about anyone else, but hearing Bad -40, then hearing ABOY/Fast Cars would have felt awkward. I mean... ending a show on Fast Cars? :huh: It has a lot of votes, so I guess people here really like that song. Anyway, I just wanted to know what made that show any different. Or did just alot of Interferencers go.

Vegas 2 - in the ellipse, great company and just an all around incredible show.
Anaheim 1 - Surprise reworking of the setlist, opening with LAPOE with Bono and smashing those drums like a madman.
NY 10/10 - Bad with People Got the Power
San Diego 1 - It was all new then
LA - Fall - 1

---

I was at three other shows but those were the highlights for me.

Best show I was at... well tie between MSG 10/7 (ellipse) and NJ 2 (end with Bad).

10/8 was awesome too because they played 7 different songs from the night before.
I voted for the Springsteen show, just because that is just plain awesome. And because I am Jersey born and bred.:wink:

Chicago 4, Seattle 2 and Chicago 5 are by far my favorite US shows.

Chizip said:
chicago 9/20, also the only one i got a bit emotional during

ME TOOO!!!! I loved that show the best:rockon: Discotheque was awesome. I will never forget B forggeting the words to "Walk On"
That was the only time I was on the rail on Edge's side and my first wink I got from Adam as he walked the ellipse.

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom