What songs will make the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommycharles

War Child
Ok...assuming they go the route they have on the other two DVDs and cut a song or two, which songs do you think will make the DVD? Here's a list of the songs played over the two filmed nights:

City
Vertigo/Stories
Elevation
Electric Co
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
New Years Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Running to Stand Still
Pride
Streets
One
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
All Because of You
Yahweh
Original of the Species
Party Girl
Vertigo

So...assuming we get 20 songs, I'm gonna vote the following:

City
Vertigo/Stories
Elevation
Electric Co
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet
Running to Stand Still
Pride
Streets
One
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
All Because of You
Yahweh

i would think the second night's Party Girl will make it too

There is no way the 2nd night Party Girl makes it. It was cool, but it was not a good rendition at all! I actually think the 3rd night Party Girl version which was full band will also get dropped from the DVD. Looks like some of you are assuming they are definately using full songs from night 2 on the DVD. I dont think so. Yahweh and 40 will not be on the DVD. My guess is the DVD will be all of night 3 minus Party Girl and maybe one other song (Original?), with a few shots intercut from night 2 but not full songs. Alot of you hate it, but the Vertigo 2x's is almost a staple of this tour and I think they will want that documented. The band where VERY happy with the footage from night 3. The DVD will be night 3 almost entirely if not entirely.

Of course they could include some footage of other songs (like 3rd night Party Girl) on a bonus DVD, or in the bonus features (like Myst. Ways from Slane). But I think the primary concert DVD will be what I indicated above.

Last edited:
I meant the second Party Girl they played, the full band one. Why else would he pull the same girl up? So they could do it properly for the DVD.

I agree that the night 3 footage will make up the majority of the DVD. The only reason I could see them using the Yahweh and 40 ending for the DVD is because if they do a European DVD it will most definitely end with Vertigo, so the variety could be good.

Besides, the Vertigo x2 was not a staple of the first leg, the return of 40 was used the majority of the time.

Because it was Bono's birthday and they wanted to do something to mark the occasion. The lighting and whole feel and flow of the show changed when they played Party Girl. Almost like they didnt plan to use it. Of course it could end up on the DVD, but my "guess" is that if anything got dropped it would be that song. I actually hope I'm wrong.

Also, I said Vertigo 2x's is turning into a staple of the Vertigo tour. Alot of you are assuming they are going to release a Euro DVD. I'm not so sure. I hope it happens, but 2 DVDs of the same tour has only been done once and it was because it was hometown show that was being shot for TV anyway.

Blue Room said:
Because it was Bono's birthday and they wanted to do something to mark the occasion. The lighting and whole feel and flow of the show changed when they played Party Girl. Almost like they didnt plan to use it. Of course it could end up on the DVD, but my "guess" is that if anything got dropped it would be that song. I actually hope I'm wrong.

Well they could have brought someone else up to play Party Girl for his birthday, or not brought anybody else up on stage. I dont know, I just think he brought the same person on stage so they could "get it right" for the DVD, kind of like a Boston WOWY moment.

Also, regarding the second Vertigo, the actual setlist had 40 as the closer, so that shows me they wanted 40 for the DVD, but Bono ended up changing it at the last minute (thats back when 2 Veritgos was cool :wink: ) So I think if anything is changed from the second night, it's that they'll use 40 instead of the second Vertigo. Plus, as I said before, that allows them to use the 2 Vertigos for a possible European DVD, where it really was a staple.

about a European DVD, this entry from Willie kind of hints there may be one

It’s unusually early in the tour to be doing this, it being an activity which has traditionally waited until almost the very end in previous outings, but ha! we laugh in the face of convention. We may end up shooting more shows as the tour goes on, moves outdoors, etc., so it will be good to record it in its early stages.

at least there have been thoughts of doing it

If they do release a Euro DVD also, then I would probebly agree about the 40 part. I just know Bono was excited that they caught that Vertigo encore on night 3 on film. :shrug: Things could have changed. I guess we will see. I guess my hope is that they just use one show and not intercut at all. If they splice in 40 so be it, but I would rather have the full length actual concert myself.

Yeah I agree that just showing the show on the 10th uncut would be the best. The ending of Original of the Species and Vertigo really was amazing. I also think how they market the DVD will also play a roll on if Party Girl gets on the DVD. If they go with the "Bono's Birthday in Chicago" type theme then it will stay in as thats when Bono got out some champagne and had a good time. If they try to hide the fact that it was Bono's birthday then it wont go in.

But I have a feeling they will go with the Bono's Birthday theme as they had fans in the GA line singing Happy Birthday to Bono for the Bonus feature. Thus, I think Party Girl makes it.

Willie also mentioned he got the ok from the band to film another outdoor show. he mentioned in it one if his last entries.

mkdominatr said:
Willie also mentioned he got the ok from the band to film another outdoor show. he mentioned in it one if his last entries.

:hmm: Well, Willie doesnt shoot the concert DVD's or official releases typically. They hire a separate production company to handle it and always have. Willie shot archival footage in Dublin only, which I assume is the "other" outdoor show you refer to. So maybe he is going to shoot archival footage again at another show. If they shoot an official Euro DVD for release, there will be NO doubt at the show.

I didn’t get to show them on the flight there, but we did discuss doing another video shoot before the end of the European tour (ah, hell, why not?) to record the outdoor show.

I think this quote more than likely means to record the show for a DVD release. Most likely in Amsterdam, we shall see though.

Hey, I hope they do. I would like to see the stadium show actually. I agree about Amsterdam as well if they do shoot. Which is almost to bad, semi static setlists for 2 of those shows if thats the case. Otherwise Amsterdam could have some really interesting setlists.

i hope they release the entire show from the 10th, as i thought it was spectacular... i do think they'll release party girl from that night, perhaps as a 'hidden' track. (knock on wood!)

bono mentioned that it was jordan's birthday a few times during the show- it will be interesting to see if those references appear on the DVD (or if they take them out for privacy reasons). though i suppose if his other daughter danced during 'mysterious ways' on the slane DVD, it might not be that big of a deal for the hewson family. :shrug:

i sincerely hope that they include 'an cat dubh' from the 10th- i was in the front that night, and from what i can recall, bono's performance was incredible. lots of rolling around, crawling, gyrating, hissing... even some Adam-petting! all in all, a spectacular performance that will hopefully be released! :up:

My guess:
1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo (with Stories For Boys snippet)
3. Elevation
4. The Electric Co.
5. An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Year’s Day
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Running To Stand Still
14. Pride
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. Mysterious Ways

20. All Because Of You
21. Yahweh
22. 40

That is basically the most played set list on the first leg I think. I don't think they will take Yahweh and 40 out, especially Yahweh. But if they do take some of those two out it will be 40 for second Vertigo since it's working for them now on the second leg. I would love if they simply added Vertigo after 40, that would be perfect but I don't think they'll do that. I don’t know why they would take 40 out since they played it in most of the first leg and the crowd got really into it. I don't think they would take An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart either since they also played it through most of the first leg. I'm not so sure about Party Girl so I didn't add it to the set list. The biggest tragedy for me would be if they took ACD/ITH out, I loved that they got this one back, in my opinion it worked really well and it was one of the highlights of the first leg for me. The real doubt is if they will do a DVD that is representative of the whole tour or of the first leg. I think it will be of the first leg.

I was at the 10th as well and Bono was "on" during ACD/ITH plus the funny "My name's Paul but I call myself Bono." at the end with the boy. The only song cut will be Mysterious Ways. Why? Because they always do.
My hope. The 10th on DVD and the 9th as a bonus CD.

I personally think the DVD will only be 3 songs long...

Vertigo
Electric Co.
Vertigo

Thank you, Chicago! Goodnight!

Oh, and Mysterious Ways is on every film since they wrote it, minus Boston Elevation.

Last edited:
True cmb737. But it does seem that Hamish is less than enamoured with the song as it's been cut or relegated to bonus track land on his two previous efforts. Anyway, it's all conjecture isn't it? And If they only use 3 songs will they fill out the DVD with fan interviews, history lessons, Jimmy Fallon and commercials for other DVDs a la MTV?

I don't think Hamish has anything to do with which songs end up on the DVD or not. I read somewhere that they cut MW from the Slane show for the DVD because it was oddly placed on the set list so they turned it into a bonus song. I don't know if it's not on the Boston DVD for the same reason. I think cmb737 was joking about the DVD having only 3 songs. :giggle: By the way I've fallen in love with this song again on this tour I hope they keep it on the DVD this time. :love:

M.W. should be safe this time then as it ends the Achtung Baby set. Which is why, as stated by others, Party Girl might get the axe. Also, for what it's worth, on the 10th the verse:

When I was three, I thought the world revolved around me
I was wrong
And so I sing along
And if you dance, then dance with me

Wasn't sung due to champagne spraying. Still, a fun (and rare) song on a joyous night so I hope it's included.

How about the speeches? Will they be cut or eliminated?
Will 'Wake Up' play as the band take the stage?
Will they get clearance to use 'No regrets and 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' song snippets?

I'm having doubts wether U2 are doing the DVD in Amsterdam during one of their 3 gigs there next week... They are spending 4 days in the Amsterdam Arena with a closed roof... Perfect atmosphere for a DVD (Tina Turner and the Stones already recorded DVD's here)!

But it's too quiet... With the Chicago DVD, it was known for months before that gig... Now we know nothing... Amsterdam would be perfect (not just because I will be there of course) and it would be a shame if U2 would not use that opportunity...

INDY500 said:
Will they get clearance to use 'No regrets and 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' song snippets?

Both were included in the Chicago footage that was shown on that U2 Uncovered program last week, so I'd say that yes, they will.

from willie's diary, 5 July, Katowice:
...went in for lunch and spent the afternoon working on the forthcoming video shoot....

Anyone have a clue which show(s) will be filmed. I reckon it will be a city where at least 2 shows will be played. So it will be Paris, Amsterdam or Milan..
I hope it's NOT going to be Amsterdam.. I have tix for all three shows.. shooting a dvd will mean the same setlist for at least two, if not three nights...

wtonis said:
from willie's diary, 5 July, Katowice:
...went in for lunch and spent the afternoon working on the forthcoming video shoot....

Anyone have a clue which show(s) will be filmed. I reckon it will be a city where at least 2 shows will be played. So it will be Paris, Amsterdam or Milan..
I hope it's NOT going to be Amsterdam.. I have tix for all three shows.. shooting a dvd will mean the same setlist for at least two, if not three nights...
I AM hoping it's Amsterdam.. Because it would mean a perfect visual show..

Could you maybe put the whole log of this Willie's Diary?

There will be over 30 renditions of Vertigo from the first leg. Nothing else.

Oh,and a preview of the new "Roseanne" DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom