What songs were rehearsed but not performed on the Vertigo tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Someone mentioned "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" ... is that true?

Spanish Eyes
MOFO

What others?

Well Stuck was rehearsed ala Elevation tour, so it never got an airing in that arrangement.

kennerado said:
A Celebration was apparently heard at the Mexico rehearsals.

All rumours about Mexico rehearsals all most probably false.

Please was meant to be played on 09-05-2005 in Chicago, but in the last minute the band changed their decission, Even Better Than The Real Thing was seen on some passable setlist, Mofo was rehearsed few times on the 3rd leg.

Technically The Wanderer was rehearsed but not played on tour as its only live appearance was for a TV show, not a tour concert.

The pre-tour Mexico rumours were bullshit but apparently Lemon was rehearsed before/during the third leg.

Zooropean103 said:
I never heard anything about If You Wear That Velvet Dress. :huh: Are you sure about that one?

It was snippeted on 2005-07-29 in Gothenburg (as AIWIY segued into COBL), but I'm not sure if it's been rehearsed in full.

-Desire

-If you mention Wanderer, you can also add Tower of Song for the Cohen film.

-Seconds(or was it surrender?) was heard at the Vancouver rehearsals.

-She's Mystery to Me was played in 2004, but not 2005.

-full band Walk On?

Last edited:
Even Better Than The Real Thing?

The lighting programme thing showed "Real Thing" on it...

Zooropean103 said:

Please was meant to be played on 09-05-2005 in Chicago, but in the last minute the band changed their decission, Even Better Than The Real Thing was seen on some passable setlist, Mofo was rehearsed few times on the 3rd leg.

I dont think Please was in consideration to be played in Chicago first leg or first leg period. It was considered for inclusion on the 2nd leg but they obviously never followed through on that.

Velvet Dress was supposedly worked on during the third leg.

Vancouver rehearsal was not Seconds from what I have heard, it was Edge playing the riff to Surrender. They did not play the song as a full band though which is also what Electrical Storm was, just Edge if you are going by the Belgian rehearsals. (See Please above for the same scenario)

Lemon was definitely rehearsed in Mexico. I asked Steve Lillywhite specifically if it was done there and he said yes it was, though he was not there. He did not link up with them until the Vancouver rehearsals.

I also asked him about A Celebration and he said jokingly " they deny they even have a song called A Celebration", so you read into that whatever you like.

Didnt I hear on one of these boards that UltraViolet was rehearsed as well?

:drool:

YBORCITYOBL said:
Didnt I hear on one of these boards that UltraViolet was rehearsed as well?

:drool:

Someone posted they heard (from outside) during the LA rehearsals that during The Fly they heard (extreme Ultraviolet, whatever that meant) but they are the only person that appears to have heard that and I think its BS. My guess is it was just The Fly as some of the guitar parts are similiar and someone didnt know better or just got excited.

THe only other place it may have been mentioned was the Mexico rehearsals and most of those rumors were BS.

The Unforgettable Fire was reportedly rehearsed around the same time as Mofo and The Wanderer, during the 3rd leg.

Regarding Ultra Violet, I believe it came to be rumoured for this tour after a quote from Bono was taken out of context. I think around December 2004/January 2005, he was quoted as saying Ultra Violet was a song he'd like to play again, as well as Love Is Blindness.

Ultra Violet's out-of-context rehearsal status gained even more steam when it was snippeted at the end of a performance of Beautiful Day in May.

See my post about UltraViolet, that was posted on one of the smaller U2 sites also at the time of the LA Rehearsals. Thats when I first started seeing that it had actually been rehearsed (when it hadnt). Could be both or a combination but there is no way to say FOR SURE where the rumor started. The bottom line is that it was most likely complete out of context BS.

Back
Top Bottom