what had you expected from this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Think back to 2004...what were you expecting when they announced the tour...what did you imagine it would be like?

Well I didn't give any thought to what the stage etc. would be like, because there's no point trying to predict that... but I did think that

Vertigo would open
All Because of You would be good live
Walk On and Kite would be played often
We'd never hear The Fly again
Until The End of the World would be a staple
Love and Peace would provide the "Sunday" or "Bullet" or "Please" moment

... turns out, I was wrong a lot.

T

Hmmm.

1. Vertigo and ABOY would replace Elevation.
2. LAPOE would take the place of SBS or Bullet.
3. Crumbs From Your Table would be a setlist regular.
4. Kite would be performed frequently, perhaps in conjunction with SYCMIOYO.
5. OOTS would be a staple track.

I'm still a little surprised that most of those didn't happen, especially #3 and #5 given Bono's statements about those songs.

I expected Walk On to be a regular in the setlists.
I expected City of Blinding Lights to be the opener.
I expected Elevation to fade into rare appearances.
I expected Crumbs to be a staple.
I expected USA/Canada stadium gigs (way more than the single Hawaii date).

I wrong about pretty much everything. My wife would be proud.

I expected Crumbs from your table to close the shows, with an awesome extension on the outro.
I expected All because of you to really kick ass live.
I expected them to do an "in the round" arena show (Thank God that never happened)
I expected an acoustic set in the middle.
I expected the same lame ass "Desire" and "Staring at the sun"
I expected a full band version of "Yahweh"
I expected that they would not play "An Cat Dubh", "The Ocean", "The Electric Co.", "Gloria", "40", Running to stand still", "One tree hill", "Zoo Station", "The Fly", "Wild Horses", "The first time", "Miss Sarajevo" or "Fast Cars."

I also never expected "All I want is you", "Bad" or "Kite" to close any U2 concert ever.

Vertigo
All Because Of You

to be the opening trio...

Then there was a rumor that 'With Or Without You' was to segue into 'Streets'

A rumor that One Step Closer was going to be performed.

And Crumbs would be the closer.

J_NP said:
I expected u2 to do a "Real" World tour

Excluding Popmart, this was U2's most "real" world tour thus far. Sad comment on how much they get around, eh? :|

The Searcher said:
A rumor that One Step Closer was going to be performed.

That rumour was incorrect. A fan at the Vancouver rehearsals accidentally reported One Step Closer (I think he corrected it to COBL), but by the time he gave the correction, it had already become a rumour that One Step Closer was going to be performed.

Axver said:

Excluding Popmart, this was U2's most "real" world tour thus far. Sad comment on how much they get around, eh? :|

:huh: MMM Axver that's what I meant , and I'm glad they did it , they toured Latin America , Australia , NZ , Japan everywhere ......

My sarcasm was meant to Elevation tour , which poster had written "World Tour"

In a nutshell Vertigo tour was all I expect in good , and tons of great surprises ....... Gotta love this tour for a quite while

firstly, i expected to see only the home opener, here in my city. i did NOT expect to go on to see them 27 times all over the world to include england, ireland, canada, and mexico.

i expected some sort of elipse thing.
i expected some variation of a digital tv-like backdrop, and the roll-up, roll-down thing was cool...
and i expected 'crumbs' to be played regularly in the set-list, and was glad to hear it the few times i did.

i expected it to be a huge sell-out nearly everywhere, but did NOT expect how easy it was for me to get tickets w/o ever using e-bay. but then i almost always went alone, and there's always a single seat somewhere!

and i expected it to be a lot of fun, and it was!

As soon as I heard COBL when I bought HTDAAB I said to the wife that if it wasn't an opener I'd be extremely surprised. (I was talking as a music programming for radio)

That's the only thought I had except that they had better tour Australia this time!

I'm glad I was right on both! :applaud:

I was expecting ABOY to be great live, COBL to open, and I didn't think I would hear The Fly or Zoo Station live this tour.

I was expecting:

- Vertigo/ABOY combo to open the show (got it wrong, though it opened Dublin III as I remember)
- HMTMKMKM to be played (got it wrong)
- Dirty Day to be played (got it wrong)
- Please to be played (got it wrong)
- Running To Stand Still to be played (after this amazing improvised performance of Desire on ET )
- Discotheque to be played (well, got it half-right, though two times shouldn't really count)
- Electric Co. to be played (on ET we got 11 o'Clock Tick Tock and Out of Control, so what would we get next from the early days? I opted for Electic Co.)
- LAPOE to take the place of Bullet
- acoustic encore to appear as a staple

I expected them to keep playing the Boy songs the whole way with all the statements about innocence etc..

I was expecting Vertigo/LAPOE to open all shows. I think LAPOE should have opened every show in the US. I still liked vertigo better as an opener by the way.

I expected Yahweh to close each show though

I wasn't expecting an elipse I was expecting a target or vertigo logo etc..

I expected better lighting during Streets and possibly better lighting overall.. Elevation had great lighting..

I expected older people to be at the show but majority were under 27 I would say.

I expected them not to play Zoo Station :p

thats it really..

Last edited:
I expected a relatively different arena stage set up. I was disappointed at the San Diego opener to see what was essentially an Elevation Tour clone.

I called that they would play The Electric Co. (I wish they had played it more.)

I did not expect Elevation to come back. (I'm generally glad it did though.)

I did not expect to see any stadium shows. Glad to be wrong. :drool:

Mark

Back
Top Bottom