What a voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
I think Kite is a better example than Vertigo or IWF, and he's singing it now better than ever. If his singing on Kite doesn't say clean, strong, and stable, I'm not sure what does.

Last edited:
He changes his voice so many times its hard to tell what effect he may be going for.

Even on a bad day his voice is :drool: for me...no other voice gets me excited, makes me cry or brings me to my knees!

JCOSTER said:
He changes his voice so many times its hard to tell what effect he may be going for.

Even on a bad day his voice is :drool: for me...no other voice gets me excited, makes me cry or brings me to my knees!

I could see maybe crying, but to literally fall to your knees because of the sound of a voice? I think that may be a medical problem :hmm:

gorman said:
I think Kite is a better example than Vertigo or IWF, and he's singing it now better than ever. If his singing on Kite doesn't say clean, strong, and stable, I'm not sure what does.

I think it could have done Kite better 2004 eraly 2005. Just listen to Vertigo and COBL for an example, his voice is stronger, cleaner and more stable.

His 5th leg voice is very strong, but the last shows he holds his voice a little bit, just like he is affraid to go offkey, but that is for natural reasons, the Vertigo tour has been long, he had problems with his back, he hasnt sing much between the 4th and 5th leg.

Peterrrrr said:

I think it could have done Kite better 2004 eraly 2005. Just listen to Vertigo and COBL for an example, his voice is stronger, cleaner and more stable.

His 5th leg voice is very strong, but the last shows he holds his voice a little bit, just like he is affraid to go offkey, but that is for natural reasons, the Vertigo tour has been long, he had problems with his back, he hasnt sing much between the 4th and 5th leg.

Remember, in 1989 when he was in AUSTRALIA Bono caught a virus and did permanent damage to his voice....He may be cautious about going all out down under......

Peterrrrr said:
Listen how stronge, stable and clean his voice is on Vertigo and I Will Follow on this two performences, even on the 2nd and 3rd and shows form the 5th leg now his voice wasnt this clean, stronge and stable.

Hope he repairs, he is so incredible on these:

Vetigo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84k_h6Jdah4

IWF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRj86tVmU

Vertigo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4tkeHlyGiM

Funny, I was thinking how much better he sounds now than he did on either of these two shows. ISHFWILF especially from the RR HOF show sounded much weaker than it did later, on Leg 2 for instance.

After hearing Bono many, many times over the years, both on boots and in show I have to say...he hasnt sounded as strong as he does on this current leg of the tour.

Listen to Kite, Beautiful Day...amazing.

This is the best he has sounded since the early 90s.

bono_man said:
After hearing Bono many, many times over the years, both on boots and in show I have to say...he hasnt sounded as strong as he does on this current leg of the tour.

Listen to Kite, Beautiful Day...amazing.

This is the best he has sounded since the early 90s.

But he realy isnt hoarse on his midle voice on the links I posted, he is little hoarse right now n the 5th leg, why? he is on tour and there have been a lot fo shows on Vertigo tour, so ofcourse he is little hoarse by natural reasons.

I think he sings ISHFWILF much stronger on the RRHOF version, he holds the notes longer... just listen how long he hold the "feel" note in Vertigo, his voice is so much cleaner on Vertigo on the show then what it is right now.

Just listen how to the IWF performence on the Brooklyn show, his sings it with a higher voice overall in the song, just compare this one from Syndey this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9J0Xcd2zw

to

Brooklyn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRj86tVmU

Peterrrrr said:

But he realy isnt hoarse on his midle voice on the links I posted, he is little hoarse right now n the 5th leg, why? he is on tour and there have been a lot fo shows on Vertigo tour, so ofcourse he is little hoarse by natural reasons.

I think he sings ISHFWILF much stronger on the RRHOF version, he holds the notes longer... just listen how long he hold the "feel" note in Vertigo, his voice is so much cleaner on Vertigo on the show then what it is right now.

Just listen how to the IWF performence on the Brooklyn show, his sings it with a higher voice overall in the song, just compare this one from Syndey this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9J0Xcd2zw

to

Brooklyn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRj86tVmU

I have to say... until I started hanging around here, I had pretty much convinced myself that Bono's voice had lost something essential after ZooTV. Seeing the debates here heartens me. I'm hearing him in a new way, criticism or no.

Peter just because he is hoarse doesn't mean he necessarily is not singing as well. HE IS singing a hundred times better than he has in years. He actually sings, he uses his chest and belts out the songs with great technique.

I am absolutely amazed at the way he now sings Pride, and with or without you now.

KUEFC09U2 said:
still think he sound better in the sydney version than the brooklyn version?

Yes, both on Vertigo and IWF. There are so many example, just listen to Streets on this leg, he sings it much higher and stronger on the 1st and 2nd leg, more force. He holds the notes longer. For example

Cobl(1st 2nd leg) "I’ve seen you in the clothes you madeeeeeee"
Vs
Cobl(5th leg) I’ve seen you in the clothes you made"

WTSHNN(1st 2nd leg) "It's all I can dooooooooooooooooo"
vs
WTSHNN(5th leg) "It's all I can do"

"Yahweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh" (1st 2nd leg)
vs
Yah weeh weeh weeh

Ha had much more stable voice on SYCMIOYO on the HTDAAB promo tour 1st leg.

Angel Of Harem was played in the 3rd leg and If I rememberd right he hit a high C in that performence.

Well I can contunie to find things, everybody says well listen to Kite, well Kite wasnt played in the other legs of this tour but I think if they had played it on 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg I think he could hold the "Man" note longer. Just listen to the on some performences on SYCMIOYO from the 3rd leg were he hold the "sing" note in 7-8 sec, in the 5th leg he holds it 5 sec. On every new leg on this tour fans have been saying "he sings better then ever", they said that about the 4th leg?!(hoarse. kermit voice...) Well I think his voice is very good in the 5th leg and much better then in the 4th leg, but no as good as it was on the three first legs.

I know I'm crazy about his voice :) I accept everybody thougths and hope everybody does with mine, everybody got their own opinions :)

Chizip said:

I could see maybe crying, but to literally fall to your knees because of the sound of a voice? I think that may be a medical problem :hmm:

Well at the msg shows I just fell into my seat, but he has brought me to the knees a few times!!! and its more a mental problem than anything else!!!! :reject: :coocoo:

Peterrrrr said:

Yes, both on Vertigo and IWF. There are so many example, just listen to Streets on this leg, he sings it much higher and stronger on the 1st and 2nd leg, more force. He holds the notes longer. For example

Cobl(1st 2nd leg) "I’ve seen you in the clothes you madeeeeeee"
Vs
Cobl(5th leg) I’ve seen you in the clothes you made"

WTSHNN(1st 2nd leg) "It's all I can dooooooooooooooooo"
vs
WTSHNN(5th leg) "It's all I can do"

"Yahweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh" (1st 2nd leg)
vs
Yah weeh weeh weeh

Ha had much more stable voice on SYCMIOYO on the HTDAAB promo tour 1st leg.

Angel Of Harem was played in the 3rd leg and If I rememberd right he hit a high C in that performence.

Well I can contunie to find things, everybody says well listen to Kite, well Kite wasnt played in the other legs of this tour but I think if they had played it on 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg I think he could hold the "Man" note longer. Just listen to the on some performences on SYCMIOYO from the 3rd leg were he hold the "sing" note in 7-8 sec, in the 5th leg he holds it 5 sec. On every new leg on this tour fans have been saying "he sings better then ever", they said that about the 4th leg?!(hoarse. kermit voice...) Well I think his voice is very good in the 5th leg and much better then in the 4th leg, but no as good as it was on the three first legs.

I know I'm crazy about his voice :) I accept everybody thougths and hope everybody does with mine, everybody got their own opinions :)

Well I havent change my mind of this above, but after hearing One Tree Hill from Auckland, well that was close to the 1989 lovetown version.

Peterrrrr said:

Well I havent change my mind of this above, but after hearing One Tree Hill from Auckland, well that was close to the 1989 lovetown version.

To me it's maybe 85-90% of his best Lovetown version, but still great.

ntalwar said:

I agree with this and I would say that it amazes me that he can even get this close vocally at this point in his career. It floors me!

Peterrrrr said:

Where did you hear that?

never mind, found the youtube link in the setlist party thread.

Woo! With the guitar solo and the "oh great ocean" ending.

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

Well, I think the Vertigo version is better, I don't like his LT voice much, he had to scream to hit notes he hit at JT tour easily, also at the LT tour he had some hoarse whisper sound in his voice wich I don't like. His voice wasent that wide like it were on the JT tour. He had problem singing ISHFWILF, hit "Wide Awake" part in Bad.

I think Australia has been very lucky.

Once Bono sings for about 4 weeks his voice goes off.

But getting him fresh, means the Aussie concverts sounded exceptional.

I hope U2 always come over after a break, it increases their verve.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

Well, I think the Vertigo version is better, I don't like his LT voice much, he had to scream to hit notes he hit at JT tour easily, also at the LT tour he had some hoarse whisper sound in his voice wich I don't like.

This Vertigo version seems a bit more strained to me than the LT version - obviously more effort is needed to hit the notes now. He also uses a lot more compression effects now.

Just heard the Auckland One Tree Hill... first night, I mean :). I have to say this is perhaps my favorite version of this song. At first I missed the "raining" screams at the end, but he sings with such emotion, and phrases every verse so perfectly, that I don't know if the screaming could really improve it. I don't think he sounded better than this on Lovetown at all - not in any sense that matters.

And for what's is worth, I think he *could* have done the screams if he'd wanted to. His voice certainly sounds up to it. I think he elected not to because his style as a singer has matured, and perhaps he didn't feel it would be appropriate for the song. I'm interested to hear tonight's version, of course...

bgmckinney said:
And for what's is worth, I think he *could* have done the screams if he'd wanted to. His voice certainly sounds up to it. I think he elected not to because his style as a singer has matured, and perhaps he didn't feel it would be appropriate for the song. I'm interested to hear tonight's version, of course...

Plus with the heavier compression on the mics, there is less of a reason to scream. I still don't think it touches Point Depot '89 though.

Back
Top Bottom