was the Patti Smith incident ever explained?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
was the incident with Patti Smith ever explained where she came onstage to play a song in NYC with the boys, but last thing they saw was Bono taking her off the stage and not returning...not even to finish the show?

^ Didn't happen like that, I was 1st row behind the stage and from what I gathered, Bono wanted the song Instant Karma to go on like 40 does at the end of a show. He wanted everyone to sing "and we all shine on, like the stars, and the moon and the sun." as they left the stage.................but I think alot of fans didn't get it.

He was just giving Patty a cue when to leave, she didn't have to be dragged off the stage they left the stage and then when the crowd died....Bono and Patty came back to try to get it going again. But that didn;t happen and in the video you can see Bono shrugging his shoulders as to say oh well we tried.

Personally, I still thought it was good and not as bad as others say. IMO I would have liked to hear the original ending which was Bad (I saw it on the setlist below me). But now every time I here Instant Karma I just have to smile.

what i don't understand out of all of this is when they came back on stage why bono says,

"have good teeth!"

"clean your breath!"

that one has me baffled even to this day

OMG...I didn't know that clip existed...

Right behind Larry is a big guy with at white shirt, next to him is my hubby with the blue shirt and then me in the sleevless shirt...you can see me wailing my arms all over!! Then I'm behind the blue line.:(

i dunno but he clearly sang it when he and patti were going back and forth after they came back on stage:

''and we all shine on

its within you

... inaudible

be strong

be aware

be true

be awake

be not afraid

have good breath

clean your teeth

be true

sing one more time new york city "

most irregular yet highly entertaining

yeah but have good breath and clean your teeth? that is most irregular even for bono but i find it funny.

She just got named to the Rock Hall today.

i consider her a Leonard Cohen equivalent for female singers. Definitely an acquired taste, definitely not to everyone's liking, but a unique talent.

I and I in the said:
I'm a straight man, and I'd rather have sex with Mr Macphisto then Patti Smith.

come on... patti's a very sexy woman. just look at her...

howard-stern.jpg

You know, I think it's pretty rude to be making fun of Patti Smith the way you guys are.

Even if she spits on Larry, performs drunk and looks like the Bride of Frankenstein, you have to realize that she's in the R n' R HOF now, along with the likes of The BeeGees, The Staple Singers, Lloyd Price, Lovin' Spoonful and Jackson Browne, so props are in order.

silvrlvr said:
She just got named to the Rock Hall today.

i consider her a Leonard Cohen equivalent for female singers. Definitely an acquired taste, definitely not to everyone's liking, but a unique talent.

I absolutely agree with you. Albums like 'Wave' and 'Horses' are beautiful... I really like her music.

It looked more like the audience didn't really know the lyrics to the song (they kept singing "we all shine on ...and we all shine on... and we all shine on") ...how awkward. :huh: It was painful to watch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom