Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, I could come up with a decision of whether I am for, or against something...... the lottery has its pro's and con's!

so, I am just sitting on the fence.:scratch: (pretty cool smilies in here)

Would this be considered conversation or a vote?

I like the lottery.

Some questions....
What I like to know is, how was the ga setup done on the elevation tour? Could we come and go as we please? Were we numbered? Do you think the ga lottery will be back in the fall?

:up: because i dont have to stand around all day and i have a chance to get in.

:down: because i would be willing to sit outside an arena all day.

i guess ill go with :up:. but i dont care either way.

Love the lottery. 3 chances on Elevation w/ GA's got me decent positioning in the outer area. 1st chance w/ Vertigo had me in the Eclispe for a once in a lifetime experience (well hopefully another once or twice in a lifetime). Under the last 2 formats, I would never have gotten such a chance. I am as unwilling to spend an entire day camping out as I am to spend a couple thousand dollars (under pre-Elevation system) to get the front row experience. I love the new system, because no ne can monopolize it through either money or time.

I hate the lottery. First come first serve. Thats how GA was created. First come first serve and if you think about the Ellipse, it infringes on what we bought from ticketmaster. General Admission Floor means anywhere on the floor. the Ellipse is on the Floor so we are paying for the Ellipse one way or the other.

If not I will start handing out #ed dollar bills just like this in the GA line.

http://www.hfstival.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10145/boardollar.jpg

:drool:

Last edited:
13 pages of no discussion...nice.

I voted no because I think I should be able to get to the venue early enough to get in the ellipse, but since there's the lottery system I no longer have a guaruntee. That's my only reason, I'm seflish :)

I initially voted down and I'm holding to that b/c I really don't think the lottery it serving it's purpose. People are lining up EARLIER b/c now we're lining up for the outside rail of the ellipse which holds what like less than 100 people? Also, I know the point of the lottery was to give everyone a chance and not have the same group of fans in front all the time, but now the same groups of fans are always in front along the rail on the outside.

Personally, I don't care b/c I think I prefer a good spot on the outside rail, but the entire point of having the lottery just isn't working out.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Also, I know the point of the lottery was to give everyone a chance and not have the same group of fans in front all the time, but now the same groups of fans are always in front along the rail on the outside.
Could this be the reason they're spending less time out on the ramps this tour? Maybe it was a great means of escape on the Elevation tour?:ohmy: :wink:

Anyway, I think another aspect of the lottery is that it gives fans in the ellipse the closest experience to what it must have been like to see U2 in a small club back in the early days...as it does really feel like a small, private gig in there. Also inside the ellipse on this tour you not only have lots of material from the Boy album...you also have chain-smoking drunks, people who don't know the music really well, people who are there as much to party as to see the band, etc (as it must have been in the early days). Of course there must have been a small group of diehards who knew all the words to the songs even in the early days...and you've got that in the ellipse as well... in the first couple rows.

If you look at the lottery this way...it kind of puts it in a different light and seems to be very much in keeping with the theme of the new album and tour...going back to the place you started out from.

atikicat said:
If you look at the lottery this way...it kind of puts it in a different light and seems to be very much in keeping with the theme of the new album and tour...going back to the place you started out from.

Except for the multi-million dollar production. :wink:

Nah, but I get your point...interesting way to think of it.

This lottery is atrocious. I got a big group of friends together to see a show in GA, some of which are seeing u2 for the first time (we're all college students so a lot of us were too young for u2 back in the day). The last tour it was first-come first-serve and I assumed that all fair bands did it that way (Foo Fighters did and every other concert I've ever been to with GA). Therefore, basically for three years now I've been getting my friends (that are new to u2 fandom) all pumped up to see U2 in the front row just like I did on the Elevation Tour after waiting outside most of the day. Now I am going to have to disappoint them. I saw the Chicago 5/7 show this spring and my smaller group didn't get into the Ellipse. It was really disappointing to see people just strolling up and getting better seats than you (we got in line at 2AM the night before to get a decent spot outside the Ellipse if we didn't win). Luckily those friends were with me at the Elevation show when we were in the front row. Now in December we have a big group going to the Cleveland show (some who haven't seen u2 before) with GAs and I'm praying U2 decides to keep the Europe format and not have a lottery.

I think some of you are really selfish that want to have a random lottery rather than waiting in line. There isn't a lottery in line at the grocery store, even though you might be more in a hurry than the people in front of you. Lines have been first-come, first-serve for thousands of years. Have a job? Take off. Have kids? Hire a babysitter. If you can afford U2 tickets you can afford to take off a day of work or hire a babysitter. I'll be missing school for this concert and work. We all make sacrifices.

/rant.

You know the did the lottery system this first time around so I'm hoping they go back to first come, first serve this next time for the fall so that way everyone can feel happy again about the subject. Either way I'm going to enjoy the Fall shows.

Shouldn't it be more like this?

If I get choosen to be in the ellipse :up: (I love this system!)

If I get denied to be in the ellipse :down: (This system sucks!)

:crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom