Vote up or down on having a GA Lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote up or down for having a GA Lottery system

• up / yes

Votes: 143 40.1%
  • down / no

Votes: 214 59.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guilty of this too, but it amazes me the number of posts that start with "I" or "My" -- maybe we should all start thinking more about a collective experience along the lines of most fair to the most people / stakeholders; including the band.

So far, I've not seen a more fair alternative that balances the concerns and situations of all concerned. Yes, it does break up big groups, but it also helps those, that for whatever reason, can't stand in line all day waiting.

I do agree with the notion of announcing the policy before tickets went on sale -- I doubt it would have change a lot of ticket buying behavior, but some might have opted for different tickets and we would have at least known what we were going to experience.

BWU2Buffs said:
I'm guilty of this too, but it amazes me the number of posts that start with "I" or "My" -- maybe we should all start thinking more about a collective experience along the lines of most fair to the most people / stakeholders; including the band.

So far, I've not seen a more fair alternative that balances the concerns and situations of all concerned. Yes, it does break up big groups, but it also helps those, that for whatever reason, can't stand in line all day waiting.

I do agree with the notion of announcing the policy before tickets went on sale -- I doubt it would have change a lot of ticket buying behavior, but some might have opted for different tickets and we would have at least known what we were going to experience.

Yes, there are better ways to do this. I prefer first come first serve, but I could deal with a lottery if it was well-done.

They should do it the regular way. Give out numbers during the day, until maybe 4pm (or whatever time they choose), then pick up ONE number and it becomes the first in line. Then everyone gets in line behind.

This way groups are not split, no one has to line up all day (which people will still do with the current system, maybe even more), it gives a better chance to more fans, different people will be in the ellipse or in the front every night, but still odds are better for getting a good spot if the amount of numbers are somewhat limited. Like, someone showing up at 8pm doesn't participate in the lottery, but still no need to sleep overnight.

Simple, logical, fairer.

:banghead:

I can only go to two this year (SD1 was my 1st since '87!! and LA3rd leg1) and I want to camp! it's fun and you meet cool peeps!)

:up:

I was in SD1, GA's (and didn't get in). I waited out last tour and got in the heart. I still think too many of you regulars (you know who you are) see too many shows up front and this gives EVERYONE a fair shot at having a "front row experience" without having to wait all day. And it's fun that it makes it a "chance" to get in.

:down:

Got in Anaheim 1, didn't for 2. So the lottery does work. But...

In a GA set-up, the people who put in the time should get the best spots. It doesn't matter what kind of fan you are. If some guy HATES U2 and just wants to heckle them and camps out overnight, I think he deserves a spot in front. And in front of me. He earned it.

I will say this though. I heard a couple people in the Ellipse saying that they aren't really big fans and that a friend had given them tickets. They couldn't name any new songs except for Vertigo. Do you think Bono really wants those people in front?

I still think that letting the first 200 in and doing a lottery for the other half would be pretty great.

I got into the Heart 7 out of 7 times 3 of them front row railing. So far one for one on the Vertigo tour and fron row railing. I rather be in the front in order to lean on the barricade instead of standing up the whole time. Thats why I get there early. If I can't get Bono's spot on the railing, I'll try for the Edge, but its rediculous. So what if its the saem people. I know who they are and they have been to 15+ shows or more on Elevation. The lottery stinks and its a stupid way of handling Fans who pay $$$ to get in if they are scalp. I have been scalp once this whole tour and I do not plan on getting scalp. The whole idea of GA in the first place back in 2001 was to let fans get closer to the band.

Chrisedge said:
:up:

I was in SD1, GA's (and didn't get in). I waited out last tour and got in the heart. I still think too many of you regulars (you know who you are) see too many shows up front and this gives EVERYONE a fair shot at having a "front row experience" without having to wait all day. And it's fun that it makes it a "chance" to get in.

Welll said.

And a HUGE thanks for taping/sharing.

I left me slot open all day yesterday for uploads, and will do so again today as soon as the wife wakes up and I get upstairs onto the "good" computer.

I'm just learning this bit stuff, I have a bunch of video clips from SD2 and Aanheim 2 I took with my digital camera Id like to get out there.

BWU2Buffs said:

ummmm...no.

no one gave a crap about my "collective experience" when they crushed me out of a spot at the tip of the circle.

and if the band gave a crap about some sort of "collective experience" they would have let people know that their tickets were not, indeed, "general admission."

and preferrably before they take three days off of work and sit in a line for twenty hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom