VH1: Tour to go into 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishDawg

Refugee
I just finished watching the VH1 show and I heard Paul McGuinness say "U2 fans will be very happy to hear that the tour will most likely continue into 2006...Although we're still working on 2005 at the moment."

That's not a direct quote, so don't quote me, but it was something like that.

Anyone have any idea if that's true or where they would be playing if they did continue into 2006?

Well, I think he's referring to places like Australia, Mexico, etc. Because a few of the band members have mentioned they'd be playing shows there in 2006.

Last edited:
IrishDawg said:
Any chance of them comming back to the US?

Hmm, why would they need to? They're already playing the bulk of their entire tour in the US anyway. I don't think it'd be necessary. I'm sure a lot of Aussie, Mexican and Japanese U2 fans would appreciate the band touring in their countries... IMO, more shows in the US would be overkill.

But I wonder why they would tell an american audience? It's safe to assume that u2 won't be coming back to the US in 06'. So why give us that info. :ohmy:

scout13 said:
But I wonder why they would tell an american audience? It's safe to assume that u2 won't be coming back to the US in 06'. So why give us that info. :ohmy:
Because Paul was talking about the U2 fans, not just the American U2 fans! And VH1 not only available in the US!

So why are you suggesting that the American U2 fans don't give a damn where U2 plays outside the US? :eyebrow:

IrishDawg said:

Bloody well hope not.

We need another tour with a Lovetownesque schedule.

Neilz said:
So why are you suggesting that the American U2 fans don't give a damn where U2 plays outside the US? :eyebrow:

to be honest with ya, frankly i don't give a damn where they play outside of new york :eyebrow:

just like you probably don't give a damn as long as they play holland... and someone from boston doesn't give a damn as long as they play boston... and someone from london doesn't give a damn as long as they play london... and blah blah blahbity blah blah blah

Neilz said:

Because Paul was talking about the U2 fans, not just the American U2 fans! And VH1 not only available in the US!

I'm not sure that's what was being suggested.

VH1 is all over, yes, but their programming isn't necessary universal. Which is why I also considered McGuiness's comment geared toward the U.S. as well - it aired first on a U.S. station, he made the comment about tickets selling out so fast - my impression was that they'd be coming back to the U.S. in '06. Stadiums in the summer?

We have friends who have pretty close relationships with with U2 people (high level..but still take it with a grain of salt) who have said they have already booked studio time and that they will be coming back to the US in 2006 in addition to the other rumors mentioned above...mexico, australia, japan.

bono_man2002 said:

Why? , Do you need MORE dates for the states :wink:

I dont think they need to add a new leg to the tour, however I would have to say that they are neglecting several key areas of the country making it difficult for many fans to get to the shows. I am fortunate because it is only 4 hours to philly 5 hours to New York and about 1.5 hours to DC, so I get a whole crap load of shows within easy driving distance for me. However, for my sister the closest show is a toss up between DC (8 hours give or take) and Atlanta (8 hours give or take). I would hope to see a couple suprise additions to the fall tour (ie: Charlotte or Raleigh). And for those who live elsewhere I am not intentionally leaving you out, I am only speaking of the area's that I know. :D But I would love to see them travel to Australia, NZ, Mexico. And with all that Bono is doing for Africa, I am sure we will see them return to Johannesburg or other African Cities.

Ok later

HJ

As I said, it would be a first timer if U2 would hit the US 3 times while doing only one leg in Europe and the other continents... What i'm saying is that if they would do a third US leg, they will also do a second European leg and some shows in Africa maybe... But then again, I highly doubt that there will be a third leg in the states...

I think they will be hitting Australia and Japan for sure in early 2006. I think if things are going well they will return to Europe and play some more stadium shows in the spring/early summer as they are still undercutting that market currently. (this was the plan for Elevation after all, but it was nixed by Edge and Larry) Its possible they could do some one off shows in Mexico sometime after Japan and before Europe as well.

I will be suprised if they come back to the U.S. in 2006 but not shocked. If they put out another album or EP then I think its likely a short late summer/early fall stadium tour could happen in the U.S. Remember the Fenway in the fall rumors? Maybe the year was wrong, 2006, not 2005.

I really think South America has a chance of getting them in 2006. My girlfriend, who is from Brazil, asked Bono on March 25, after their second night of rehearsals at the LA Sports Arena, about them returning to Brazil and Bono told her they are planning to. He said it was a matter of just getting all the neccessary people talking and setting it up.

Michael Cohl and his company TNA is also promoting (as they've done since 1989), the upcoming Rolling Stones tour which is strongly rumored to be visiting South America in February 2006, so I assume they are also negotiating for U2 to return there.

Bono publicly stated at the San Diego 1 show that they intend to play in Mexico in 2006, so this would have to mean that it would be coupled with South America and/or a return to the US for additional dates. Otherwise, it would not be financially feasible to only play in Mexico at the time.

As others have stated, a return to Africa makes sense this time with Bono talking so much about Africa during the show. It'll be a big letdown if they don't take the tour to at least South Africa.

IrishDawg said:
I don't want them to come back to America again.. Why you may ask?? cos the americans are already very spoiled by it. Look how many dates the USA has as compared to canada or in that case any part of the world. Don't you think its about time the americans become a little less spoiled and give a chance for other countries to enjoy U@?? Are americans the only U2 fans in the world?? So i hope they go to south america, australia, asia and even africa. Say no to U2 coming back to the USA in 2006.

Well, if they come back to the U.S. again I'm sure Canada will get more dates as well. Probebly Calgary or Edmonton would get their shows for sure.

Honestly, I dont care if they come back or not. They are playing enough in the U.S. currently. I need some time to pay off my credit card from leg 1 and 2 as it is!! :lol: I could see it happening though. But I think they will hit most other regions first. Not sure about S. America though. I think those fans deserve it, but U2 had alot of problems with promoters and logistics down there on Popmart. Not impossible obviously, but I wouldnt bank on it at this point.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neilz

So why are you suggesting that the American U2 fans don't give a damn where U2 plays outside the US?

:confused: I wasn't implying that we don't care where U2 plays out of the US. VH1 is world wide but I believe it was edit more towards the US( at least this version). I could be wrong, maybe Paul was only talking about Aust, Japan, Mexico. But the way VH1 made it sound was a little misleading. Even if that is the case someone who couldn't get tickets this year most likely can just drop $1000-2000 to see them in another country. I don't see how that is "good news for U2 fans" for 06:scratch:

I'm thinking the band might pull another Zooropa.

It sounds like they have some material, like Mercy, that they wish to use. Perhaps after hitting Australia, Japan, etc., they will finish some tracks up and release another album in the summer of 2006 and keep the tour rolling through the rest of that year. That would probably mean another trip back to North America if that happened.

Then again, they never did come back to the U.S. for the Zooropa tour, so maybe not.

phanan: and to add to that, they haven't made much of a habit of playing Zooropa songs in the States.

If I happen to see a member of the band in Chicago, I've half a mind to slap him silly: "WHY <slap> DON'T YOU <slap> PLAY MORE <slap> POP AND <slap> ZOOROPA??? <slap> <slap> <slap>"

knox said:
phanan: and to add to that, they haven't made much of a habit of playing Zooropa songs in the States.

If I happen to see a member of the band in Chicago, I've half a mind to slap him silly: "WHY <slap> DON'T YOU <slap> PLAY MORE <slap> POP AND <slap> ZOOROPA??? <slap> <slap> <slap>"

If I happen to see a member of the band in Chicago, I'll pee my pants and forget how to speak English. But then the slapping. ;)

u2tours.com has also released RUMOURS of India being toured. Not sure about that but we'll see. I say go everywhere. I know it's long, but I give Pop Mart big credit. They went to Sarajevo, Tel Aviv, South America, Africa etc. Classic Stuff. And Lovetown/Zoo TV in australia...!

For now, how about adding a third Montreal show since there's a week in between Montreal 2 and Hartford? The 2 shows sold out in 29 minutes or something stupid like that, and I know that's without much help from the internet since admission.com was blocked from 7am until 6pm. One more, guys!! :wave:

Jon

Back
Top Bottom