Very interesting fan reaction/commentary to Staples 2 show....read..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2Hearts said:
Does anyone want to tell me that during the Joshua Tree and Zoo TV tour there were no people just there to hear hits? There were no people there that just came to be at an event and couldn't care less about the music? Come on. It's like that at every concert I've ever been to.

Very true. It does happen at virtually every concert.

I couldn't help think as I read through the article that change the name of the band (and band members names and songs, etc.), remove references to their massive popularity and the size of the crowd, and it could have essentially be a write up of a show I went to a year ago in a bar in Kansas City (anyone know The Hurricane in KC?) with a crowd of no more than a few hundred.

I was there to see a band I have loved for the better part of two decades and as it was the last show on the tour I would be able to see I wanted nothing more than to just soak it all in. And I did, despite all of the concert going types mentioned in the article posted here (well no Lakers there :wink: and the stoners mentioned at LA were the drunks at KC -- and I find stoners are a LOT easier and more pleasant to deal with). But yeah, there were people there who came only to hear the one or two songs they remembered from the days when this band was touted as the next big thing. And in fact the crowd thinned noticeably once they had played their most popular song. There were girls making absolute asses of themselves in order to be noticed by the band. Hell, there were guys making absolute asses of themselves in order to be noticed by the band.

But you know what? The band, despite each member being sick, very tired, and having to perform in far less than optimal conditions (crappy stage, sound system, etc.), gave an elegant, nuanced, and thoroughly delightful show, which I enjoyed despite the rude fans.

(I will admit I got in a few well placed kicks and elbow jabs at a few of the more annoying audience members. :wink: :D )

That was a very beautiful written review. It's nice to see that one can still find good even when things don't go exactly the way you want them to! Makes me even more excited to to attend my first U2 concert which ironically will be Bonos birthday :).

Glad so many of you enjoyed my article! I know it's not perfect and it can come off wrong sometimes... it just reflects how I felt right after getting home from the show.

If you all would like to comment on it on the site, too, it's posted at U2Station.com in the News section (a few posts down).

Yeah. I thought it was great when I read it at u2station and I thought I'd share it with everyone. Hope you didn't mind.....Hope you don't sue me for copyright infringment.... LOL:wink:

No problem. I was glad to see it posted here and glad to see peoples' reactions to it!

ehhhhh... did anyone notice WHO wrote this?

is it really him or is just a coincidence? :huh:

if it IS him... then :bow:

Nah, fortunately I am not the not-all-that-talented Coldplay star.

And thankfully people don't mistake my name for his very often, because if it happened more often, man it would be aggravating.

Back
Top Bottom