Vertigo X2 wasn't a bad thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chizip said:

instead of 2 Vertigo's wouldnt you rather have All Because of You opening, another song like Bad (or your favorites song) somewhere else in the set, and then Vertigo closing?

You inspired me to do a setlist...

All Because Of You
Vertigo
Gloria
Elevation
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Zoo Station
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With Or Without You

Yahweh
Original Of The Species
One
Bad

theu2fly said:
I always wanted to hear 40, but I knew it wouldn't be possible, it's the ideal closer. But U2 has played 40 so many times, that it would have been tiring...

:huh: You come up with the most confusing logic. If 40 were tiring, U2 wouldn't have brought it back this tour! And come on, I don't think this band would find 40 tiring when they almost never played it between 1990-2005 but have played One at EVERY SINGLE SHOW since February 1992 and Pride at almost every single show since August 1984!

It's their set, they can close it how they choose. I never saw vertigox2, but i bet it would have gone off.

vertigo x2 at the brooklyn bridge show was cool because frankly they could've done anything and it wouldn't have mattered because it was just such an awesome experience.

vertigo x2 at the first continental airlines arena show as very cool because it came after 40 and seemed completely impromptu... i don't think they even had the light curtains down, everyone thought the show was over the second larry stopped his end of 40 drum solo... but the solo went long, he kicked into the drum beat to vertigo, and everyone came back on stage. that was pretty damn cool because it seemed like they just decided to do it on the spot.

a few days later at MSG, vertigo x2 was lamer than lame, because you could tell it was the planned ending.

i have a feeling hawaii will end with vertgo x2 though... just because.

All I can say is this:

IMO Vertigo x2 worked in stadiums A LOT better then it did in arenas, MOST people (it seems to me) that complain about it either saw it in arenas or didnt see it at all.

jimjam said:
IMO Vertigo x2 worked in stadiums A LOT better then it did in arenas, MOST people (it seems to me) that complain about it either saw it in arenas or didnt see it at all.

American's ey? :wink: (j/k btw)

bono_man2002 said:

American's ey? :wink: (j/k btw)

:lol:

I think they will end hawaii with vertigo. I hope they do - i think it will be the perfect end to the entire tour. I'd like to hear the end it with bad..but lets face it, they finish with vertigo and everyone leaves the stadium on a high (die hard fans, and not so big fans.)

partygirlvox said:

:lol:

I think they will end hawaii with vertigo. I hope they do - i think it will be the perfect end to the entire tour. I'd like to hear the end it with bad..but lets face it, they finish with vertigo and everyone leaves the stadium on a high (die hard fans, and not so big fans.)

Yeah, Finishing the Vertigo Tour with Vertigo makes sense, go out with a bang I say!

ElectricalVoice said:
Great move. On every concert I attended, the last Vertigo shook the whole stadium. It was awesome to end a fantastic concert that way, with everyone jumping up and down going crazy, a version of Vertigo who never ended. It wasn't like they had too few songs to play, so they had to play the same twice. The concert ended where it started. Brilliant.

I agree 100%.. you have to have seen it to appreciate it. Plus the atmosphere for the last vertigo is totally different to the first.

QUICK FACT

Vertigo was 1st placed twice during the johnathan ross show in the UK. It opened and closed u2's set.

I don't think it's a bad idea, because it's kind of surprising for a band that has almost 30 years, it's kind of refreshing.
But Vertigo closing was not perfect, and it was not natural. I enjoyed more watching "40" closing than the second Vertigo.

What is uncomprehensible is tha fact that U2 has such a vast catalogue, that opening and closing again with Vertigo becomes a bit ridicule.
If they wanted to surprise by closing or an up-tempo lifting closing, why not bring songs like "11 o'clock tick tock" or "Acrobat" or "Out of control"? It'd be even better, and that would be great!

According to www.u2-vertigo-tour.com:

Vertigo (174 times played)

I Will Follow (741 times played)
Pride (734 times played)
Bullet The Blue Sky (634 times played)
Where The Streets Have No Name (632 times played)
With Or Without You (566 times played)
One (503 times played)

So still very far behind :wink: Though Vertigo x3 should help a lot :hmm:

vaz02 said:
QUICK FACT

Vertigo was 1st placed twice during the johnathan ross show in the UK. It opened and closed u2's set.

actually, that would be a quick wrong fact.

the jordan ross show was on december 2nd.

they played vertigo twice on november 22nd in brooklyn, 10 days earlier... and i do believe they encored vertigo at SNL on 11/20, but it was after the tapes had stopped rolling so it doesn't really count.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

actually, that would be a quick wrong fact.

the jordan ross show was on december 2nd.

they played vertigo twice on november 22nd in brooklyn, 10 days earlier... and i do believe they encored vertigo at SNL on 11/20, but it was after the tapes had stopped rolling so it doesn't really count.

You're right, SNL was indeed the first time Vertigo x2 was done. I think it counts; it was done in front of a live audience.

from U2tours.com

November 20, 2005 / New York, NY
Venue: NBC Studios
Main Set: Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, I Will Follow, All Because of You, Vertigo

Comments: U2 made their second appearance on the long-running NBC variety show. Unlike most acts which perform on SNL, U2 are allowed to do three full songs, rather than the usual two and the end credits of the show roll over 'I Will Follow'. The opening notes of a fourth song were heard as the show finished after Bono had announced they would do 'One more' - they continued on to play 'All Because of You' and an encore of 'Vertigo' after the broadcast had finished.

November 22, 2004 / New York, NY
Venue: Empire Fulton Ferry State Park, Brooklyn
Main Set: All Because of You, I Will Follow, Santa Claus is Coming Town, Vertigo, All Because Of You, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species, She's a Mystery To Me, Beautiful Day

Encore(s): I Will Follow, Out of Control, Vertigo

Comments: The first three songs are performed on a moving flat bed truck on the streets of New York as U2 shoots a music video for 'All Because Of You'. The song is performed several times for the shoot, and Bono later sings 'Santa Claus is Coming To Town' for the crowd that has gathered for the shoot. A fan is brought on the truck to drum during 'I Will Follow.' Later in the day, they perform a brief concert under the Brooklyn Bridge which begins and ends with 'Vertigo'. The performance is taped by MTV for later showing.

December 2, 2004 / London, England
Venue: BBC Television
Main Set: Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, I Will Follow, Vertigo

Comments: U2 perform and are interviewed during the 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' program on BBC1. 'Vertigo' is played at the start of the show; the others are done at the show's end, after an interview segment. As the show closes, viewers hear Bono shout 'One more for us!' and the band does 'Vertigo' again. The programme is taped December 2nd and airs a day later.

Just stumbled on this thread. Honestly, from a North American leg point of view, two Vertigos doesn't sound that bad at all. At my concert they ended with Bad, which was awesome, but to end with a fast-paced Vertigo would have been a cool way to get out of the concert I think.

no one's really arguing that vertigo makes a good closer... i think it makes a great closer. but if it's gonna be the closer, don't have it open, too. one or the other... both comes out, well, kinda lame. even those who don't think it's that lame i think would much rather have a new song added to the set rather than a song they've already heard.

theu2fly said:
Instead, I think it was a good idea... how many people can go to a U2 concert and say U2 played the same song twice? Not since the days of Boy, did U2 use 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and The Ocean to open and close their shows...

I think it was a good move, and it makes the show all the better.
Come on! You can't be serious!

How many people can say that? A lot, since U2 made this a regular item on the tour... Nothing spontanious about it!

On top of that; in the early days they played some songs twice a night because they had no more other songs in their set! Now U2 has many MANY songs to choose from...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
no one's really arguing that vertigo makes a good closer

Actually, I am. I think it's a stinker of a closer and belongs in the first five or so songs of the set. My idea of ending with a rocker is something like The Fly, Gone, or Last Night On Earth.

Axver said:

Actually, I am. I think it's a stinker of a closer and belongs in the first five or so songs of the set. My idea of ending with a rocker is something like The Fly, Gone, or Last Night On Earth.

If your in a stadium, and not everyone is a big big u2 fan like most of us on here - how many of them are going to know gone or last night on earth? Especially if most of the audience are young and only got into u2 around bomb/atyclb, they might not even know the fly very well. And I think a good closer is something that everyone in that stadium loves, and leaves everyone on a high. You aren't going to get that atmosphere with a lesser known song I don't think, not at a huge venue anyway.

I really hate this oft-repeated argument of you gotta play the songs the crowd knows. How dumb is the average concert goer? I know I can go to gigs of many different artists and I dont' necessarily own all their CDs or know all their songs, but I can enjoy the music and really get into the atmosphere nonetheless. If you enjoy the music, you enjoy the music, whether you've heard it before or not. :shrug:

Anyway, this Vertigo x2 crapola, I'm realistic or cynical enough to realise that this may be U2's last tour to Australia (seeing they only deign to visit us every 9 years or so:mad: ) so the fact that we'll get to see the same fucking song twice when they could add more to the setlist rather irks me, to say the least! :madspit:

blueeyedgirl said:
I really hate this oft-repeated argument of you gotta play the songs the crowd knows. How dumb is the average concert goer? I know I can go to gigs of many different artists and I dont' necessarily own all their CDs or know all their songs, but I can enjoy the music and really get into the atmosphere nonetheless. If you enjoy the music, you enjoy the music, whether you've heard it before or not. :shrug:

Anyway, this Vertigo x2 crapola, I'm realistic or cynical enough to realise that this may be U2's last tour to Australia (seeing they only deign to visit us every 9 years or so:mad: ) so the fact that we'll get to see the same fucking song twice when they could add more to the setlist rather irks me, to say the least! :madspit:

I've been to see bands I'm a huge fan of, and bands I'm not so big a fan of - and I think the best recieved songs are either the super rare ones (and I can't see u2 doing something super rare) or the big hits (big hits with everyone). I just think as a closer they have to close with something big, they can play songs people don't know in the main set and everyone will enjoy it. But for the last song, it has to really go off. Especially on this last leg of the tour.

Have you heard them play it live twice yet? It sounds crap in theory - i knew they would do it at cardiff and wasn't looking forward to it. But I changed my mind because it did work doing it twice. The second time was different, they didnt play it in the same way as they played vertigo to open.

Canadiens1160 said:
Just stumbled on this thread. Honestly, from a North American leg point of view, two Vertigos doesn't sound that bad at all. At my concert they ended with Bad, which was awesome, but to end with a fast-paced Vertigo would have been a cool way to get out of the concert I think.

I prefer the last song to be like 40 so you don't leave on a high note, and sing-a-long song...:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom