Vertigo tour = worst opening bands ever!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing the Killers and the amazing performance and reception they got in Cardiff was worth the ticket price on its own and then I got to see U2 for free.

I saw the Long Pigs and I think Big Audio Dynamite in 97 at Wembley and they were both poor.

Coldplay and RHCP were very good at Slane in 2001.

Kelis was poor at the NEC in 2001.

A band I really enjoyed supporting U2 was the Stereo MCs at Cardiff in 93 they got the old arms park going mental.

I think U2 are now confident enough in their own abilities live to have anyone supporting them and not feel threatened by the support. Its great when you get to see U2 and one other ace live band and I think U2 recognise their fans want a good opener.

KEVIN051269 said:

Velvet Underground - Paris 93 (Sorry i just dont see what all the fuss is/was about)

You saw the Velvet-fucking-Underground? I'm eternally jealous.

They're not just a huge influence on U2, they're an influence on practically every band ever. I fucking love VU.

Anyway. Kings of Leon were rather disappointing but Europe has basically every good new band ever. Except Bloc Party. Bloc Party should open for U2.

And The Arcade Fire are doing some dates in Canada :drool:

Paddy Casey (Croke II) and Ash (Croke III) were also decent. I would have loved to have seen Franz Ferdinand.

So overall, I would say this tour's opening acts are better than the last tour's. I saw Kelis open at Slane I and she was quite poor indeed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Shaun would only be happy if Velvet Revolver opened for them...

:rockon: Make that a double bill with Guns and Roses and finish it all with a 30 minute solo from Slash :rockon:

U2girl said:

:rockon: Make that a double bill with Guns and Roses and finish it all with a 30 minute solo from Slash :rockon:

I saw GNR when they opened for The Rolling Stones in LA......Living Colour also played that night.........:rockon:
GNR........what a waste of talent from Axl.....too bad.

yimou said:
Living Colour,, Wow, blast from the past :rockon: Cool band

Yeah they rocked!
A note about that concert........I was siiting next to the stage and I noticed that when Living Colour played their set....several people on the first 10 rows, kept on giving the band the finger.......sad.
No class whatsoever.

Am I still the only one who likes Kings of Leon? I'm beginning to think I am...

I'm pretty sure any opener this fall is going to be better than Fun Lovin' Criminals (from Popmart), that's for sure.

I saw Kaiser Chiefs and Keane in Barcelona. Keane were good for me as openers. It was the first time i've heard them and they pleased me. :applaud:

I should open for U2. :rockon:

I'll recite Pi to 353 decimal places while my girlfriend strums a guitar and then we'll do a punk rock cover of the New Zealand anthem.

Isn't that what all of you want in an opening band?

Axver said:

I'll recite Pi to 353 decimal places while my girlfriend strums a guitar and then we'll do a punk rock cover of the New Zealand anthem.

Get your bed on stage and i will be happy:wink:

Shaun Vox should also be involved in Axver's opening band, to give his rendition of Lemon (which is actually quite good).

However I can see the possibility of disruptions owing to 'musical differences'...:wink:

Stones would never open for anyone, nor should they. That's just nuts!

I would love to see the Killers open. I think Keane are very talented, but I want guitar! I want to hear the guitar sing...................

Gabster2004 said:
Seeing the Killers and the amazing performance and reception they got in Cardiff was worth the ticket price on its own and then I got to see U2 for free.

I saw the Long Pigs and I think Big Audio Dynamite in 97 at Wembley and they were both poor.

Coldplay and RHCP were very good at Slane in 2001.

Kelis was poor at the NEC in 2001.

A band I really enjoyed supporting U2 was the Stereo MCs at Cardiff in 93 they got the old arms park going mental.

I think U2 are now confident enough in their own abilities live to have anyone supporting them and not feel threatened by the support. Its great when you get to see U2 and one other ace live band and I think U2 recognise their fans want a good opener.

Hi Gabster - that's scary - we were at all the same concerts! I agree 100% with everything you said; my mates and I still have great memories of the Stereo MCs. Infact the Cardiff crowd for the MCs in 93 and for The Killers in 05 were on both occasions the best 'support audience' i've ever seen at a U2 show.

Some of these bands opening for U2 are fantastic. I almost forgot I was at a U2 show in Cardiff, with Athlete and the Killers. :hyper:

Brilliant show!

Axver said:

"God bless New Zealand
He gave them boiling mud...."

:rockon:

Europe has the best opening bands. Over here across the ocean we get, Dashboard Confessional? No thank you :madspit:

Anything is better than Kelis or that CRAP (yes, crap in capitals) band that opened for U2 in Dortmund in 1992. Thank God I forgot their name.

blueeyedgirl said:

"God bless New Zealand
He gave them boiling mud...."

:rockon:

:madspit:

E Ihowa Atua,
O ngä iwi mätou rä,
Äta whakarongona;
Me aroha noa.
Kia hua ko te pai;
Kia tau tö atawhai;
Manaakitia mai
AOTEAROA!

The Supports were REALLY GREAT here in Europe!

The Killers (fine, they screw up in Chorzow but were ql anyway)
Snow Patrol (I didn't like them at first but with few shows I got to like them a lot!)
The Thrills (very fine band, I met the vocalist on streets of Vienna)
Keane (great band... bar the lack of guitars)
Magic Numbers (really straight rock'n'roll, very enjoyeable)
Starsailor
The Music (these guys must be on some drugs... what a stage movement!)
Feeder
Kaiser Chiefs

I've seen all of them.... THANK U u2! My musical life is much richer now!

I wish I saw Franz Ferdinand (opening in Spain) and Razorlight (Scandinavia)

Last time around we had to stand Die Sohne Manheims & Kelis.... that was BAD!!! now it was heaven!

Point though that in states you had grear opening bands fe. GARBAGE! I'd love to seem them opening for U2 that would be awesome!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom