Vertigo screen vs Popmart screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coldplay opened their World tour a day or two ago. I can't find any photos, but am wondering if there was anything 'irish looking' about their setup.

u2fp

remember they are still suing the LED balls...they are just placed in a wall and grouped together. and im sure a high defintion LED screen that is like 100 ft by 100 ft would cost mad bucks.....

actually they arent using the LED balls, looks like a bunch of squares. the LED lights were definitely closer together on the Popmart screen

2_img_3416.jpg

I totally,totally agree!!!! I just been to both manchester shows and although the screen was really good the popmart sreen had a bigger impact,and stage design was stunning!!!!

I think that the quality of the Popmart Screen was better. The resolution is higher.
The Popmart was like a real Tv-Screen altough is LED's were used no?

Well if there's a band that could afford an outdoor hi-def screen it would be U2, so to say that it's a lack of money or technology is not logical. The truth of the matter is that the individual LED panels are 100x more powerful than what you saw in PopMart.

Here is what info I could find on PopMart:

50'x150' (15x45m) screen, which is 2,316 sq. ft. (706 sq. m) total and made up of 4,500 aluminum tubes.
There are eight LEDs for one pixel, which are put in a matrix format. The distance between each one is about 95mm (3.8").
For the 164-sq.-ft. (50-sq.-m) high-resolution section in the center, the company doubled the LEDs horizontally and vertically to create four times as many pixels.

Here's the specs on the OLite 510 LED Panel (the little black square that you see in the picture posted above) used in Vertigo:

Pixel pitch 10 mm
Brightness 6000 NIT
Calibrated Brightness 5000 NIT (calibrated at 6500K)
LED configuration 3-in-1 SMD
Pixel density 9.354/m² (870/ft²)
5.632/tile (88 x 64)
Hor. viewing angle 145° + (min. 50% brightness)
Vert. viewing angle 95° + (min. 50% brightness)
Contrast ratio 975:1
Lifetime 50.000 h (full white - half brightness)
Power consumption maximum: 970 W/tile
average: 275 W/tile
Weight 58 kg (including structure)
Processors 15,8 bit / color @ 50Hz
Colors 185 trillion

Pixel Pitch is only 10mm for Vertigo vs. the 95mm for PopMart.
And you can't tell me that PopMart produced 185 trillion colors.

u2wedge said:

Pixel Pitch is only 10mm for Vertigo vs. the 95mm for PopMart.
And you can't tell me that PopMart produced 185 trillion colors.

Each Vertigo "square" has higher quality and resolution than the Popmart screen, but Vertigo has the spaces between each square, so you get the "blocky" image.

If you factor in the space between each square in determining the overall resolution of the screen, the two screens will be more comparable.

I really don't see the need for U2 to justify spending a shitload of money on a HI-DEF screen that size. I mean, the one they are using is still fucking amazing.

I did a follow up with Barco and you can read their response at my site when I asked what the specs were between the two stages: http://vertiblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/vertigo-2005-vs-popmart-1997-its-like.html

Each LED module is light years ahead of what was used in 1997, however their design places each module a space apart from each other which gives the impression that it may be lower resolution. However, if you look at some photos of PopMart those screens were really inconsistent with color (some panels were much brighter/darker than the panels next to them) so all in all, the Vertigo stage is 100x better in terms of quality; the argument would have to come down with how they designed it.

Last edited:
say what you want but zoo tv/zooropa was the best U2 set up for stadiums ever....bono rising up for zoo station against all those tvs and the fly was awesome, plus all the cameras

especialy if you were close to the stage pop mart screen was useless
looked like big dots

vertigo is better than popmart but zoo tv overall was the most stunning set

harper11 said:
say what you want but zoo tv/zooropa was the best U2 set up for stadiums ever....bono rising up for zoo station against all those tvs and the fly was awesome, plus all the cameras

especialy if you were close to the stage pop mart screen was useless
looked like big dots

vertigo is better than popmart but zoo tv overall was the most stunning set

Pretty damn accurate.

Yeah - Vertiblog has the definitive answer on their site. Great work actually.

Vertigo is clearer as Popmart was bigger. Totally different technologies, though.

My vote for best design (of any tour) is ZOO TV outdoor with Rolling Stones Steel Wheels in second. Steel Wheels was really a piece of theater...

Back
Top Bottom