Vertigo missed classic band entrance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techfire

Acrobat
I kinda missed the classic band entrance on this tour. What I mean is, for Elevation the band entered arena with lights on, for Pop Mart they came in from the opposite end of the stadium with lights on, for the arena Zoo TV tour Bono came on stage alone with the lights on, even as far back as the Joshua Tree arena tour (1st leg) the 3 band members came on first with lights on and Bono followed.
Just a thought while killing time waiting for my non-U2 Hawaiian vacation to begin....not complaining though.

techfire said:
I kinda missed the classic band entrance on this tour. What I mean is, for Elevation the band entered arena with lights on, for Pop Mart they came in from the opposite end of the stadium with lights on, for the arena Zoo TV tour Bono came on stage alone with the lights on, even as far back as the Joshua Tree arena tour (1st leg) the 3 band members came on first with lights on and Bono followed.
Just a thought while killing time waiting for my non-U2 Hawaiian vacation to begin....not complaining though.

Other than Elevation and Popmart none of those openings were standard for the whole tour. Joshua Tree the lights on entrance was only done a handful of times.

The Love And Peace opening was interesting and kind of cool on Vertigo to me. The band came out with spotlights and walked around the ellipse. :shrug: Even the standard COBL for the arena leg was cool with the lighting and confetti and Bono appearing at the tip of the ellipse at the beginning. So I dont think Vertigo was disappointing or lacked an opening compared to other tours. I will give you that Popmart with the Pop Muzik intro with the band coming through the crowd was probably one of the best opening bits they have done.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Vertigo missed classic band entrance

Blue Room said:

Other than Elevation and Popmart none of those openings were standard for the whole tour. Joshua Tree the lights on entrance was only done a handful of times.

I only went to 1 arena show for Joshua Tree, as I was only 16 at the time, and it was different than the stadium show entrance.

I saw the LPOE, COBL, & Vertigo (Monterrey) intros. The Vertigo intro was just like Elevation. They just walked out with the lights on and went into Vertigo. LPOE was pretty cool. All of them with the spotlights, very different for U2. COBL was my favorite though. Seeing the band take stage in the dark, Edges chiming away, and Bono on the tip with the lights coming on. Don't forget the screens turning on. Very cool and magical!!!

Popmart was my favorite intro. Popmuzik with the boxer entrance through the crowd.

:drool:

Seeing Bono walk crouched down a foot away from you on the inside of the ellipse :drool:

City of Blinding Lights was my favorite, but I only saw LAPOE and Vertigo (didn't really see it, per se, more like watched it on the screen :wink: ) once, so maybe I'm biased.

It definitely built up tension to have the lights go down and have everyone searching for the band, but I've never seen any other tour.

i saw the first LaPoE opener in Anaheim, and it was fantastic. i was totally expecting COBL, so when the red lights came up and the intro started i was freaking out. i coulnd't really tell what was going on (from up in the cheap seats) but once i realized that there were 4 spotlights moving around stage i got all :hyper: .

the COBL opener was amazing too. i was closer to the stage on Edge's side and i didn't see anybody come onstage . . . i just heard the 'everyone's and heard Edge's gutiar start in :drool: . i didn't even find Bono till Larry and Adam came in . . . it was fantastic!

I liked Love and Peace in Anaheim, but I would also say that the COBL opening is not as good as Popmart or Elevation. I would go as far as saying that COBL is nota good opening song, musically. I woulod have put it to open the encore.

PopMart was good and original. My favorite was the arena leg of the Zoo TV tour, LA Sports Arena to be specific, Bono came on stage alone with the house lights on and started singing. I had behind the stage seats 2 rows from stage and it was awesome.

romi said:
I liked Love and Peace in Anaheim, but I would also say that the COBL opening is not as good as Popmart or Elevation. I would go as far as saying that COBL is nota good opening song, musically. I woulod have put it to open the encore.

you idiot

COBL was the perfect opening song for this tour

but i agree the entrance wasnt as cool as popmart, but what could be, that was the most badass thing ever

i didnt really like the elevation opening, just felt kinda weird to me

and i hope COBL doesnt open an encore on the next tour, its perfect for a streets like segue

im keep saying, Please -> COBL would be awwwwwwwwwesome

The best opening (for me) was the European Vertigo where (as the audience was going crazy) all four band members came to the tip of the stage to greet their audience befor launching into Vertigo.

COBL was incredible as an opener. Being at the tip of the ellipse, seeing Bono two feet in front of me, arms outstretched, staring upwards as confetti poured down upon him, with the intro of COBL playing behind him........ :drool:

I'll remember that forever.

Should have been a voice over of Turn it Up Loud Captain then Hello hello coming from all over the place.
Then Uno ....Catorce BANG Full lights in red!

Iskra said:
Should have been a voice over of Turn it Up Loud Captain then Hello hello coming from all over the place.
Then Uno ....Catorce BANG Full lights in red!

that would have been great!

Utoo said:
COBL was incredible as an opener. Being at the tip of the ellipse, seeing Bono two feet in front of me, arms outstretched, staring upwards as confetti poured down upon him, with the intro of COBL playing behind him........ :drool:

I'll remember that forever.

I actually missed Bono. I was completely mesmerized by the fact the THE Edge was standing right there.

I had never seen U2 before so I didn't know where to look for Bono.:(

i always thought that the way that the band comes on stage should vary by tour because it in a way it makes that tour special and memorable

Brilliant thread! On the large scale it just didn't get any better than the opening of Popmart, I loved it. Really got the crowd going, Bono looked tres hot with the boxer robe! Elevation was just mind blowing in a stripped down, back to rock and roll, lights on, in your face raw U2! Vertigo was lacking the energy of the previous tours.

Best entrance ever was Mofo at Amsterdam's VMA...with Dennis Hooper as the "boxing" announcer for U2...and then entrance Mofo style.

No mention of the arena Zoo entrance?

Bono's accapella singing straight into balckout with jumbo tv interference and Zoo Station.

Not to mentino that people attending the show had no idea what they were in for that night on the earlier shows of the tour.

u2fp

Agreed! The ZooTV opening was epic, especially with the opening montage and Bono's entrance, kicking and goose-stepping at the beginning of "Zoo Station".

I especially love how they played most of the new material right at the beginning of the show.

Of course the PopMart intro was insanely energetic and really captivated you from the start, Elevation was unique and somehow made you feel like you were on stage with the band, and Vertigo may be most memorable for its many different openings---the likes of which hadn't really been done since the 80s. (Though I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know here... ;)

All were absolutely fantastic in their own right when you think about it... so it's hard to choose one in particular, though I guess I'd pick ZooTV. :drool: :wink:

Last edited:
always thought the everyone everyone EVERYONE leading into edges chiming guitart, then bam into COBL was pretty perfect, but also vertigo during the european leg was cool, the band just coming out in totaly daylight, no flashy images, just there and then

raft said:
Best entrance ever was Mofo at Amsterdam's VMA...with Dennis Hooper as the "boxing" announcer for U2...and then entrance Mofo style.

You know I loverd that performance do you know where I could find it?

Love and Peace or Else didnt sit well with me. I liked City of Blinding Lights, seeing the band come out behind the stage during the Arcade Fire song. Nothing will beat Elevation though.

SMB

love and peace or else was the closest they got to a "crazy" entranance, spot lights, sounds effects, rocking etc, but i got with COBL or VERTIGO for this tour, COBL with edges chiming guitar, and vertigo with just the here we are deal with it, great stuff

Just watched MTV Euro Mofo at You Tube. Fucking hell. I hope Vertigo never sees that clip. Poor thing will never be able to look itself in the mirror again.

Back
Top Bottom