Vertiblog sez: Bring Your 'Desire' Signs to the Fall Leg Shows...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
One of the lines in the song Desire refers to the section of New Orleans 'where the bright lights and the big city meet'. I for one, would like to see this returned to the setlist this fall in honor of the Big Easy.

Bring signs that say 'Desire' to the Fall Leg Shows!

I went to New Orleans earlier this year and have put some pictures up on my blog: www.vertiblog.com

39838788_b480ed294b.jpg

Last edited:
tell me this lyric might take on new meaning in light of the past week's events...

"Over the counter with a shotgun
Pretty soon everybody got one"

It should also be interesting to see how Bono references Louisiana during the opening of 'Streets'.

Last edited:
i really think this will change the feeling for the third leg, i cannot see bono talking about africa so much, especially when america needs to get over this before doing anything else to help africa

KUEFC09U2 said:
i really think this will change the feeling for the third leg, i cannot see bono talking about africa so much, especially when america needs to get over this before doing anything else to help africa

consideirng the rebuilding that will be necessary in New Orleans, I wonder if they'll keep 'The Hands that Built America' snippet at the end of BTBS?

u2wedge said:

consideirng the rebuilding that will be necessary in New Orleans, I wonder if they'll keep 'The Hands that Built America' snippet at the end of BTBS?
fits rather well now i guess

No, not Desire! Goodness, haven't we heard it enough? Unless it's the Lovetown version, I've a better idea: STAY. It actually names New Orleans! Not to mention it's a faaaar more emotional song and would be so beautiful if played electrically by the full band.

:drool:

Desire full band is what this tour needs... also Crumbs (how wierd does it sound say that now) and Electricla Storm... actually... the last 2 are really wierd to say at the present moment

pepokiss said:
Desire full band is what this tour needs... also Crumbs (how wierd does it sound say that now) and Electricla Storm... actually... the last 2 are really wierd to say at the present moment

I agree, full blown Desire, with Crumbs and Electrical Storm would really rock this fall leg. And let's focus on America for a few shows.

They should really mix it up big, and I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't.

u2wedge said:
And let's focus on America for a few shows.

They don't do that already? All those songs and concerts could've fooled me ...

Bono has been known to make the song fit a situation. So how about "If God Will Send His Angels" or "Mothers of the Disappeared".

Axver said:

They don't do that already? All those songs and concerts could've fooled me ...

No, the last I checked it was all about Africa. Haven't you been paying attention?

Or are you talking about America getting more shows than the rest of the world, which is completely unrelated to my comments.

Stay on topic, Axver. And stay POSITIVE, brother.

Last edited:
Desire full band is awesome, they should never play it acoustic again...........ever.

Here is a clip of Desire how it should be played.

Clip is from Lovetown Sydney, with the extended ending.

edit: Silly me pasted the wrong link, will upload again and repost.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

No, the last I checked it was all about Africa. Haven't you been paying attention?

Or are you talking about America getting more shows than the rest of the world, which is completely unrelated to my comments.

Stay on topic, Axver. And stay POSITIVE, brother.

I was talking about songs such as City Of Blinding Lights, New York, In God's Country, Bullet The Blue Sky, etc. I know not all are played this tour: I mean U2 have a history of songs about America. And this tour, we've seen a lot of focus on the US as a superpower needing to do more for Africa, and the whole 'Americanising' of Running To Stand Still, which follows a version of Bullet that's even more American than normal with the Hands and Johnny snippets.

Of course, I expect and support some sort of a nod to New Orleans (and hoping it comes in the form of an electric Stay), but I feel U2 give a lot of attention as it is to the US and the shows focus a lot on the nation as well as Africa.

Sken said:
Desire full band is awesome, they should never play it acoustic again...........ever.

Here is a clip of Desire how it should be played.

Clip is from Lovetown Sydney, with the extended ending.

edit: Silly me pasted the wrong link, will upload again and repost.

Oooh, did you find an MP3 of the 27 September 1989 performance? Audience or from the proshot DVD? (The DVD is of just five or so songs; I know there's a complete audience recording of the show but I don't have it.) Wait, you say clip ... do you mean that you have video?

Here is a video clip of Desire from Lovetown Sydney.

http://www.me ga uplo ad.com/?d=02XPUJRU

Delete the spaces, and if you dont get playback download the latest divx codec.

Axver, I found a dvd of Perth Lovetown, quality is very average, its only about half an hour. I also got the Sydney dvd in a trade. It only has a few songs, Hawkmoon, Desire, Pride and one other I think. This is not the Lovetown Special, it appears to be Channel 10 footage which was shot for tv, not sure if it every made it to air. Quality is ok.

Sken said:
Here is a video clip of Desire from Lovetown Sydney.

http://www.me ga uplo ad.com/?d=02XPUJRU

Delete the spaces, and if you dont get playback download the latest divx codec.

Axver, I found a dvd of Perth Lovetown, quality is very average, its only about half an hour. I also got the Sydney dvd in a trade. It only has a few songs, Hawkmoon, Desire, Pride and one other I think. This is not the Lovetown Special, it appears to be Channel 10 footage which was shot for tv, not sure if it every made it to air. Quality is ok.

Awesome, I needed a copy of this on my computer! I'm thinking of getting out my DVD and making MP3s of Hawkmoon/Desire/Watchtower from that Sydney show filmed by Channel 10. I too have the half-hour of Perth footage - shame the quality isn't better! God Part II --> In God's Country is REALLY fantastic, though.

Its a real shame U2 havent released a proper dvd or vhs of a full Joshua Tree or Lovetown concert. I actually thought some of the performances in Australia were better than those on the Point Depot boots, although some of those performances were pretty extraordinary too.

Add me to the list of people who do NOT want to hear Desire. I wouldn't mind as much if it were a full-band version, but for me, the acoustic version was a low point of the Elevation shows.

Sken said:
Its a real shame U2 havent released a proper dvd or vhs of a full Joshua Tree or Lovetown concert. I actually thought some of the performances in Australia were better than those on the Point Depot boots, although some of those performances were pretty extraordinary too.

I have an awesome proshot of Syracuse from '87 if you want it. We can do a b&p if you want.

corianderstem said:
Add me to the list of people who do NOT want to hear Desire. I wouldn't mind as much if it were a full-band version, but for me, the acoustic version was a low point of the Elevation shows.

But don't you think that it could grow into a whole new song if it was done to bring attention to New Orleans? As they did with New York during the Elevation tour after 9/11?

Think of what the song COULD be in this context, not what you're tired of listening to...

Axver said:

Awesome, I needed a copy of this on my computer! I'm thinking of getting out my DVD and making MP3s of Hawkmoon/Desire/Watchtower from that Sydney show filmed by Channel 10. I too have the half-hour of Perth footage - shame the quality isn't better! God Part II --> In God's Country is REALLY fantastic, though.

got to love any U2 vids with Edge pre-beanie.

How about this...

'One' with video footage of the plight of those stranded in the city. I think that song would take on an entirely new meaning as well with the backdrop of New Orleans...

Think of what the song COULD be in this context, not what you're tired of listening to...

Okay, but I'd prefer they use another song to focus on the hurricane devastation. I think there would be better songs to do this, like One.

corianderstem said:

I like Desire but in light of the hurricane and NO issues, I really would prefer STAY. Just my two cents worth......everyone knows that Bono and the boys will not ignore the hurricane devastation.

They played Desire full band at that BBC show where they introduced Vertigo to the world. It was crap quality recording...but Edge sounded even better than he did on Lovetown tour.:drool:

stagman said:
Edge sounded even better than he did on Lovetown tour.:drool:

I don't think so.

In fact, to be perfectly honest, I don't think that's possible. Edge shredding on Lovetown = :drool:

Back
Top Bottom