Unless U2 do something good very soon, Vertigo Leg 5 is gonna suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The Vertigo Tour started a year and a half ago. By the time Leg 5 of the tour starts, U2 will have been gone for 9 months. can the band really just do the Vertigo tour all over again for a dozen shows? same stage, same setlists, same everything? i mean, you could tell by the Leg 4 boots that they were already getting tired of touring. but to try to do the same tour after 9 months off? sounds like a joke to me. now i know that Austrailia, New Zealand, and Japan have been waiting for the Vertigo tour, but they've been waiting for an unreasonable amount of time. if U2 comes back with the same Vertigo tour in November, it'll just be a big joke. i know, the shows will be great, and the Australia/New Zealand/Japan fans will love them, as they should, because it's a good show, but come on U2. take off for 9 months, tour for 12 shows, then go off and spend 2 years recording? how dissapointing would that be. if U2 doesn't do something soon, like release new material, then Leg 5 will just be a joke. tour for a month, then bombard us with a Milan DVD and an Imax movie, after releasing a terrible Chicago DVD? it seems all too late for that. i think we're all sick of the Vertigo tour. i sure am.

I suspect the people who haven't seen it yet and are waiting for it aren't sick of it. And since this leg is for them and not you, it doesn't really matter if you're sick of it or not.

Your comments sound whiny, but I think I understand what you're trying to say. However, don't forget: had Edge's daughter not gotten ill, the Vertigo Tour would be long over.

They could have easily packed it in and called the tour to a halt after the Argentina gigs, but that would have seriously disappointed all their fans in Oz, NZ and Japan who have been waiting years to see them again. Do you think that would have been cool?

Give them a break. They are already back in London recording new songs with Rick Rubin, their new book and DVD will be out in a few days, and maybe we'll finally get that Milano DVD by Christmas. That all sounds good to me.

Too bad you're sick of the tour... how many shows did you see?

Leg 5 will not be a "joke" to the thousands of us who will be seeing them this autumn. Far from it. These might actually be some of the best shows of the entire tour.

At Least 75% of the people who are going probably dont know little about what the setlist is even gonna look like.

The Same thing happend in 1992/1993....Did it not?

Ok They did put out zooropa....but Besides that!

Last edited:
I see no reason for the tour to suck... Fans in Australia and Japan haven't seem them since 1998 and New Zealand fans have been waiting since 92/93, and they will be thrilled to see them. The atmosphere will be electric, and maybe the time off would have re-energised u2....
and u may be sick of the tour, but hundreds of thoudands of people who haven't seen them for 8 years can't wait for the 60 days or so to pass before the tour resumes in Brisbane.
And I haven't seen or heard anything to make me believe that the resumed Vertigo tour will be a joke. I will be at some of the shows, and i can't wait......

personally thought the south american shows were some of the best judging by the boots i have etc,

also didnt the band comment on how this could be the last time "in a long time" that they will get to play these songs live again?

also as already said, i dont think the people awaiting this tour are sick of it to be honest.

dont blame the band because u have seen god knows how many shows and have downloaded god knows how many bootlegs.

These are the type of posts where being on this board its easy to lose sight of the big picture. If you are coming here you are a diehard or at the very least a pretty big fan. So to alot of us here, the setlist seems old/predictable. We are a VERY small percentage of fans going to the shows. Someone else said 75% of the crowd going to these leg 5 shows doesnt know the setlist. I would actually say its probably more like 85 to 90% (or even higher) of them dont know. The other part of it is that leg 5 is going to areas they have not played since Popmart. So there are 2 albums worth of songs a very large majority of the people attending these shows have not seen performed before. So, no, they wont be bad shows for those that go and the setlists wont seem old. I predict the setlist threads on this board will get ugly. But thats nothing new.

trabantland said:
discothequeLP,

I can't take anyone's opinion seriously when they can't even capitilise the start of all their sentences.

Stay in LA brother. Please don't ever move.

To be fair you didnt use a capital for his name

vaz02 said:

To be fair you didnt use a capital for his name

To be fair does his screen name have a capital at the beginning of it?

Blue Room said:
The other part of it is that leg 5 is going to areas they have not played since Popmart. So there are 2 albums worth of songs a very large majority of the people attending these shows have not seen performed before.

Oh wow. So maybe we'll see a mix of ATYCLB & HTDAAB material. :ohmy:

I'm glad they're making it a point to tour Australasia. It's gonna rock!!!

If you are bored of the tour then move on, do something else, go see some other bands and come back to U2 fresh in time for when they return with new material. This sort of comment is disrespectful to the band (implying they will not put everything in to these shows) and the Australian, New Zealand & Japanese fans who have been waiting so long for just a few dates.

discothequeLP said:
i mean, you could tell by the Leg 4 boots that they were already getting tired of touring. but to try to do the same tour after 9 months off?

Actually, if you watch the Leg 4 DVD boots, you'll see some kick-ass shows.

Re: Re: Unless U2 do something good very soon, Vertigo Leg 5 is gonna suck

Utoo said:

Actually, if you watch the Leg 4 DVD boots, you'll see some kick-ass shows.

the AB stuff sounds fresh out of the packet.

Zootlesque said:

Oh wow. So maybe we'll see a mix of ATYCLB & HTDAAB material. :ohmy:

I'm glad they're making it a point to tour Australasia. It's gonna rock!!!

:laugh: didnt say that. But they will see at least 2 ATYCLB songs they havent before and then a large chunk of Bomb songs obviously. You are looking at close to 40% of the setlist that will not have been done in those regions previously. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
Someone else said 75% of the crowd going to these leg 5 shows doesnt know the setlist. I would actually say its probably more like 85 to 90% (or even higher) of them dont know.

Is the Chicago DVD not available in Region 4?

Did no newspaper reports possible setlist when the dates were announced or when the Leg 4 dates were finishing up?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Is the Chicago DVD not available in Region 4?

Did no newspaper reports possible setlist when the dates were announced or when the Leg 4 dates were finishing up?

u2fp

So are you actually comparing seeing U2 in person as the same thing as the DVD? Not to mention it is the stadium show, which was a much different production over the Vertigo Chicago DVD. What Australian newspaper was printing or even speculating on setlists?

I guess the Aussies had no reason to complain that Elevation didnt make it there. They just had to buy the DVD's, same thing, right? :shrug:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

So are you actually comparing seeing U2 in person as the same thing as the DVD? Not to mention it is the stadium show, which was a much different production over the Vertigo Chicago DVD. What Australian newspaper was printing or even speculating on setlists?

I guess the Aussies had no reason to complain that Elevation didnt make it there. They just had to buy the DVD's, same thing, right? :shrug:

Did you read the part of your post I quoted?

I found it hard to believe that 90% of the Aussie audience would have no idea what songs U2 might play during their Vertigo show in Australia.

I only made reference to setlist knowledge.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Did you read the part of your post I quoted?

I found it hard to believe that 90% of the Aussie audience would have no idea what songs U2 might play during their Vertigo show in Australia.

I only made reference to setlist knowledge.

u2fp

:hmm: I guess we could get what the DVD sales of Chicago Vertigo are in Australia and then compare that to the number of tickets sold for the Australian tour. I bet I still wouldnt be that far off on my percentage. I guess my point is, MOST of the people going to the fifth leg shows, dont have the extensive knowledge of exactly what the setlist has been that people on this board do and probably could care less anyway. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

:hmm: I guess we could get what the DVD sales of Chicago Vertigo are in Australia and then compare that to the number of tickets sold for the Australian tour. I bet I still wouldnt be that far off on my percentage. I guess my point is, MOST of the people going to the fifth leg shows, dont have the extensive knowledge of exactly what the setlist has been that people on this board do and probably could care less anyway. :shrug:

Would various Aussie papers not carry some sort of story after the first show down under? What about first night reviews and people attending the second show?

What about radio stattions and general newspapers that would seek out setlists and cater their broadcast/stories to follow that knowledge?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Would various Aussie papers not carry some sort of story after the first show down under? What about first night reviews and people attending the second show?

What about radio stattions and general newspapers that would seek out setlists and cater their broadcast/stories to follow that knowledge?

u2fp

:scratch: I still dont get your point. Are you saying that even if all the people going to the shows get advance knowledge of the setlist (which is unlikely even if there is press on it) it will make the 5th leg stink to those that attend? Again, my last post summed up what I was trying to point out. I dont understand how this post refutes that?

U2FanPeter said:

Do casual fans just wanting to hear Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and ISHFWILF even remember those sets, let alone the precise order? I don't see your point.

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

Not seeing your point. Did US newspapers and radio stations reporting on San Diego I ruin things for everybody else seeing the tour and make the setlist boring? No. Most people didn't even pay attention. Why would it be any different now?

I think the final 10 shows will be great, especially if there is tour debut songs of any kind.

I don't recall ever saying it would suck in this thread.

I just had to correct some fact that I thought were grossly out of proportion or exaggerated.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
I think the final 10 shows will be great, especially if there is tour debut songs of any kind.

I don't recall ever saying it would suck in this thread.

I just had to correct some fact that I thought were grossly out of proportion or exaggerated.

u2fp

I disagree, that is your opinion just like mine is my own. How does your opinion on it suddenly become a fact?

Not trying to argue here, but I dont understand why I got singled out on this thread over something there are no REAL facts about. :shrug: Just my opinion, you disagree, I disagree with yours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom